Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic - when did it go on a diet and lose weight?

GABuckeye

I've got a '98 Goldtop Classic - the body and neck are a darker mahogany, and the guitar is fairly heavy. I was at GC yesterday and pulled a '08 Goldtop Classic off the wall to play. Its body and neck were a ligher color (almost the color of the maple necks of the late 70's Deluxes) and the guitar weighed much less than my '98. When did Gibson change the wood on the Classics?

It's been a while since I'd picked up a newer Gibson LP - I wasn't sure what had happened. I bought the '98 a month or so ago, and it's tremendously lighter than the Professional. The '98 has decent tone, but I do think I'm going to replace the stock pickups with '57 classics. It does, however, have tons of sustain - just as I remember the "traditional" LPs to have. Does the chambering do anything to the sustain? I would think it does.

Well, with the chambering you get more of a cross between Solidbody & Semi-hollow tone. it emphasizes more mids and highs, but the sustain on my chambered Custom is just as good as any traditional LP I've heard. Give Rocketman's Chambered vs. Weight Relieved test thread a listen to see if you can tell the difference. The '57 Classic pickups are bad mofos. Got those in my LP Custom and my SG. Sweet tone dirty and clean.

My 2001 Classic plus is non-chambered and I believe non weight-relieved.

This is something I'd like some clarification on.

I'm under the impression that all LPs since '82 are weight-relieved, except for the historics.

My '06 Standard was 9 lbs and it was weight-relieved.

My '07 Custom is 10 lbs and it's weight-relieved.

Hmm...maybe a thread at MLP will clear things up...

Archived