Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Owner

John L

Hi there everyone, new here so be gentle!

I have recently acquired a 1992 studio and would like some advice of what amp I should get for the type of stuff I want to play if anyone could help.

Background information is I am not very good on the guitar I'm relatively new to playing and the story goes that I was going to buy an Epiphone Les Paul from my local music store but when I got there, there was a Studio that had had a headstock break, the repair has been done professionally to the point the guy had to point out to me it had been repaired and is guaranteed by the shop so I know it's not a problem it's been damaged (for what I want it for anyway) I got it for £380 which was what I was going to pay for a Plus Top so I figured why not get the real thing.

I know it's probably wasted on someone like me who is probably classed as an intermediate guitar player. I can play a few tunes here and there but I really do want to start playing properly. I want to play mainly Clash stuff, some Stiff Little Fingers, New York Dolls, Ramones. Pistols (you get the picture) and I'm only playing it in my house for me so no intention of ever gigging and I only really want to spend around £300-400 on the amp and if possible get a tube amp.

Any help from you guys who know what you're doing would be much appreciated as it's an absolute maze of amplifiers out there to choose from and to someone like myself who hasn't the slightest idea what I'm talking about I could do with some guidance.

Thanks in advance

John

Hello

My name also is John and I came to this forum after buying my 1st (and so far only) Les Paul.

If you are in UK which I think you are, there are lots of choices and many peope would say get a modelling (digital) amp as they are becoming the most common.

However if it's valves you want look at Laney and also the newer Marshalls - this Marshall is more than you want to pay but you get the idea -

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=12071816172432&gclid=CMHU1u65mtACFQmeGwodTGgIzA

This Laney sounds as if it has all the features you would want for home use -

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/laney_cub_12r_tube_guitar_amplifier_combo_15_watts_reverb-lancub12r.asp

Blackstar also is another good make as Sparq has said. Beware of shop salesmen blinding you with science!

I highly recommend you get an amp with reverb as this makes a huge difference to your enjoyment of the sound.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice, I''ll look into them. The guy inthe shop is trying to sell me a Line 6 Spider IV. I was looking at a Vox but he says this is just as good??

There's a Mesa in there but he wants £650 and he says it's far too big for what Ibwant and it doesn't come alive until it's turned up past a certain volume.

Decision decisions. I love the Studio though, I can't stop looking at at!!!

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice, I''ll look into them. The guy inthe shop is trying to sell me a Line 6 Spider IV. I was looking at a Vox but he says this is just as good??

There's a Mesa in there but he wants £650 and he says it's far too big for what Ibwant and it doesn't come alive until it's turned up past a certain volume.

Decision decisions. I love the Studio though, I can't stop looking at at!!!

If its a valve Vox (AC15?) you will still need to crank it up to get enough distortion (for the stuff you mentioned).

The Spider will give you all the variety of tone, distortion, reverb etc. at low volume levels (home use).

Guest Farnsbarns

If you're playing in your house you want about 5 watts with valves. Pubs and jams you want about 20. The problem with flat sound from valves until they're woken up is real. Go too big and you never get the real sound of the amp because it's floating around in that nearly off zone where it becomes very compressed.

I could build you an amp with a tailor made tone stack for your liking within your budget. I enjoy building them and playing about with tell tone stack so I would do if for the cother of components.

You want a single ended output I suspect given the sound you say you like.

welcome to the fold and congrats on the score. A properly repaired head stock break will not inhibit that guitars ability to play/sound and feel right.

Don't worry about having too much guitar, that's not really something you need to concern yourself with. Play it...

Amps, there's so much out there to choose from.

Personally I like the Fender Mustang III for a modeler. I have two of mustang amps (A III and it's big brother, the IV), they offer quite a wide array of sounds and options, are easy to figure out, and have a real nice PC via USB interface (FUSE). But I also have three great tube amps,... I can tell ya the differences in the modelers to the tubes are there, but subtle at best.

I'm with Farns. For what you describe, a 5 watt tube amp will be perfect for you. There are a good number of low wattage amps out there to choose from.

If you wanted to, there are also multi-watt amps available that can give you options like 5, 10 & 25 watts for example. So if you ever wanted to jam with others you could get an amp like that and use it for both home and occasional jam sessions.

Marshall Slash SL5......

If you can find one.. Cos its a slash model it has that real growl and has a great heavy distorted sound and it has a 12" speaker rather than the usual 10" on a 5 watt... and its switchable to 1w too.. I don't think its necessarily for everyone but I have one and love it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-Slash-SL5-combo-amp-With-Footswitch-/262681961134?hash=item3d2910a2ae:g:O9sAAOSw-CpX-mJ5

Thanks for all the replies, everyone, I picked up a Line 6 Spider IV he gave it me for £100 with a strap and lead! I had a little play and got a nice "Clashy" sound from it but all the pre-sets and stuff are learning me about tones and different ways to play. I've been learning some Stones, Floyd and Beatles stuff as well as some early rock and roll on it and it's already helping my playing style.

I'm going to play it for 6 months or so then buy a 5 watt tube also and have both amps. More I think about it, if I don't try and play different stuff I'll never get any better. Alls I can play is punk stuff, I'm lost with anything else so I'm going to try and improve and the effects on it are good.

Archived