Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Cargill Custom guitar (Recording Added)

BluesKing777

Got the call - my guitar was ready! The Hound and I hopped around in circles for a bit and then hit the road to pick it up.

So as the heading says, it is a Cargill Custom guitar, shape based on a Gibson Nick Lucas, body is Gaboon African Ebony, top is Italian Spruce, neck is Honduran mahogany, bridge and fingerboard ebony, nut, saddle and pins bone, tuners are Schaller with ebony buttons, tortoise binding, black OM teardrop pickguard.

Wide spaced V neck as requested - 1 3/4" nut with 2 3/8" bridge spacing (like my OMs).

Brand new and just strung up - sounds stunning now but probably the worst it will ever sound!

A true work of art!

Cargill01c_zpse4ffangv.jpg

Cargill01d_zps3jadbg9u.jpg

Cargill01a_zpsycahgs8y.jpg

More photos below...

BluesKing777.

Taylor bridge? ; ).

Looks beautiful; that back is like non other. Deeper body a la Nick? No 13 fretter, but what is the scale length?

Is that pick guard where you normally play? The 20's/30's Nick guards offer a little bit of protection north of the sound hole. Neck looks to be an inviting chunky V.

Feel free to do one of your guessing game SoundClouds (where you threw us for a loop) with the modern guitar in the line up for the "which is the old guitar" game.

Happy NGD.

Thanks guys!

Yep, it is truly a magic gift from the elves.

Brand new unplayed except set up by the best set up guy in the business here, which is a bit strange because most new guitars I have ever bought get played for a few weeks before taking to get set up, by him!

A small surprise, but a true delight for the left fingers, is the ebony tuning buttons on the Schallers - very tactile, very 'alive'.

I will get a better picture of the back - full gloss and tricky to photo, while the superb Italian spuce top is a light matt finish to let it breathe, and did I mention it was cut by the elves on the full moon on a December night at midnight from a tree fall after a storm in the high Italian Alps. All true! The Stradivari used the same spruce.

BluesKing777.

62 burst - Don't know the official scale length, but it feels long scale like my OMs. And the pickguard is right in the middle of where I usually brace with my right pinky when fingerpicking.

Beautiful instrument and it sounds very sweet. Wish I could play like you. Very expressive playing. You kind of make the guitar talk. For me, the emotion is all there. Cool stuff. [thumbup]

Thanks everyone.

MP, the guitar is so exotic looking that I wanted to record the first tune with it as also something exotic. The original Gnossienes No 1 is a beautiful tinkly piano piece about slice of life in Ancient Gnossos (Crete). My version is more 'Gypsy in Morocco'.

But the main ingredient on the piano is the main theme notes are played on notes next to each other but backwards. So easy on guitar - play the 7th fret 1st string and slide backwards to the 6th fret. Voila - instant Gypsy! Try it the other way - 6 to 7, but it is the one fret slid or smeared or slipped or snapped different ways that does the trick!

BluesKing777.

Re: "Recording Added"- Well, that certainly is a different direction.

Funny what getting a new ('nother) guitar can do.

Yeah, I learned it overnight! [biggrin]

As I picked the guitar up, it came to me.

(I have been diddling with the tune for a long while really, and coming up next could be Gnossiene No 2..... gulp.)

As with anything beautiful, the guitar is poisonous! (must be a woman!)

It warmed up here a bit today and the guitar is gassing off. It is on a stand now in the music room with the window open, but it may have to go outside. Phew, overwelming nitro!

BluesKing777.

What a stunning looking guitar.I really liked the atmospheric piece you played.When I saw the title I thought it was going to be Eric Satie.Glad you pointed out it wasn't..cause I would have looked a goog saying how much I like Eric Satie.

Enjoyed one that too though..tres evocative!

James Cargill is one of the few luthiers I've heard of in Oz.

What a stunning looking guitar.I really liked the atmospheric piece you played.When I saw the title I thought it was going to be Eric Satie.Glad you pointed out it wasn't..cause I would have looked a goog saying how much I like Eric Satie.

Enjoyed one that too though..tres evocative!

James Cargill is one of the few luthiers I've heard of in Oz.

Thanks FB!

The whole back half of the house reeked of nitro, even with the music room window wide open and a stiff breeze blowing in last night. I picked the Better Half up from the train and went to the shops and when we walked in home, the place smelled like a giant new guitar case!

After dinner, I sat out under the grape vine in the wind and played it quietly for a while - "guitar - meet Mr Air!"

So, it is Saturday morning here and usually I run through a country blues lesson in C, to centre myself after veering all over the shop. Amazing how hard that is sometimes and how easy at other times!

Here we go then - this will be interesting!

BluesKing777.

In cricket terms - play was abandoned.....

Too smelly in there (music room), guitar too new, strings too new, top too stiff.... and not one single ounce of blues in that guitar at the moment!

So we had a cup of tea, then laid in to it with the whip and flayed the sucker for a while (thumb and fingerpick). 8-[ 8-[

That showed it!

A bit of Robert Johnson and a bit of Lightning Hopkins and it is coming ahead.

So the Doctor has ordered the weekend on the Tonerite out in the shed with the window open! ;)

BluesKing777.

Archived