Gibson Brands Forums

Lost a piece of the muse.

duluthdan

It is not often that the “Muse” to write a song strikes like lightning, but if it doesn’t hit me in the face like a two-by-four, the song usually doesn’t get finished. A couple of years ago I wrote “50 Winters” in literally 4 minutes after spending a half an hour visiting with an acquaintance – Kurt Bresnitz. Kurt died last Saturday at the age of 98. In homage to him, I have pledged to myself to never be more than 100 feet away from a J-45, in case the lightening strikes again.

I regret that I never got to play this song for Kurt in person, but hear that he loved the recording, and even wept a bit.

A real "slice of life," Dan. Very cool song. That's every-bit-as-good as most any song I've ever heard on the radio and in all likelihood, it's far more real and humanized. Pure folk music from a pure folksinger. A tale that a great many people can find themselves wandering-around somewhere inside of...If you get the chance, give us the lyrics. You've got some sweet lines in there. [thumbup][thumbup]

Amen, on "the muse." When it's there, you've got to write. I know people who write constantly in regards to their songwriting. Wish I could do that too, but I can't. Sometimes my muse is nowhere to be found.......for weeks and weeks..........Good song, old friend. I love this kind of stuff. Great for listening, thinking, remembering, and just being human. And your easy-going, understated, and gentle guitar technique is sweet-as-hell. [thumbup] [thumbup] Love to hear more of your music.

MP / OC - if you have an interest you can go to Youtube - search for theduluthdan and you'll see some additional songs, played in my unique sloppy style, and even some lyrics posted. Originally I had a Youtube channel for DuluthDan, but I forgot the password, so had to recreate as "TheDuluthDan" . Being so near to Aspen I get the opportunity to swap original songs with a few people. Its a gas, and actually pretty helpful. Almost all of my songs are C-F-G or D-C-G or variations. I cannot play barre chords, so most of my stuff is incredibly simple.

OC, I have been thinking of throwing a few guitars into my wagon, and taking the road from Colorado to Nashville, and then scurrying up east to swing by NYC and Connecticut and circling back thru Chicago and Minneapolis. Would love the opportunity to play some cowboy songs and smudge up a few guitars.

MP / OC - if you have an interest you can go to Youtube - search for theduluthdan and you'll see some additional songs, played in my unique sloppy style, and even some lyrics posted. Originally I had a Youtube channel for DuluthDan, but I forgot the password, so had to recreate as "TheDuluthDan" . Being so near to Aspen I get the opportunity to swap original songs with a few people. Its a gas, and actually pretty helpful. Almost all of my songs are C-F-G or D-C-G or variations. I cannot play barre chords, so most of my stuff is incredibly simple.

OC, I have been thinking of throwing a few guitars into my wagon, and taking the road from Colorado to Nashville, and then scurrying up east to swing by NYC and Connecticut and circling back thru Chicago and Minneapolis. Would love the opportunity to play some cowboy songs and smudge up a few guitars.

You might be able to catch northern Indiana on your way to Nashville. Looks like I'll be here for a while. Keep me in the loop☺

It is not often that the “Muse” to write a song strikes like lightning, but if it doesn’t hit me in the face like a two-by-four, the song usually doesn’t get finished. A couple of years ago I wrote “50 Winters” in literally 4 minutes after spending a half an hour visiting with an acquaintance – Kurt Bresnitz. Kurt died last Saturday at the age of 98. In homage to him, I have pledged to myself to never be more than 100 feet away from a J-45, in case the lightening strikes again.

I regret that I never got to play this song for Kurt in person, but hear that he loved the recording, and even wept a bit.

Respect!

That was awesome, Dan, and very inspirational! To me, that is a perfect example of how I want my own music to be. Your music is simple, yet full of emotion, and it comes across as very honest and real. I know I will never be a great player or singer, but I aspire to catch that special something, like you just did. That is where the magic is. You found it!

Lars

Archived