Gibson Brands Forums

Broke my toilet

EVOL!

I install high end custom cabinets and I have seen some amazing toilets in houses that I've worked at lol

There's one where the seat is perfectly heated to ***-temp, and the lid automatically raises when you walk up. It also cleans itself and has a bidet. And.. a remote control...

Seen some bizarre thrones out there

I'm serious, it's probably Korean. My wife and I just flew through Inchoeon airport and after she returned from the bathroom said, "OMG, go check out the toilet."

I'm serious, it's probably Korean. My wife and I just flew through Inchoeon airport and after she returned from the bathroom said, "OMG, go check out the toilet."

Haha usually in America you would say that out of pure horror. I don't doubt that you're right about that. I've seen them in a couple homes of Korean families and haven't seen them anywhere else now that you mention it

Last night, to add insult to injure for a string of minor annoyances in my life lately, I was a little too aggressive lifting the lid on the toilet and I cracked the tank. It's wider crack at the top of the tank that becomes a hairline crack at the water line and down to about 2 inches above the bottom of the tank. It is causing a slow drip water leak so last night I turned off the water to the tank, emptied it, and dried it with towel.

I am looking for advice or experiences here: can I repair the tank or should I not bother and just run out and get a new toilet? Searching online I have seen 2 pieces of conflicting information. One says you can patch this with any number of epoxies or ceramic repair calk. The other says this toilet is done so just get a new one because when the repair fails, you are going to have thousands of dollars in water damage.

Before you recommend replacing the tank, I cannot. This is one of those 1970s toilets where the tank and bowl are not separate. It's probably the original toilet (my house was built in 1974).

Hey man,

I'm a master plumber. It is my opinion to replace the entire toilet and tank with a new one. If you dont, you may come home one day stepping in a couple inches of water. High end marine sealants are costly. Other sealants may not be rated for submersible use. Also keep in mind water changes temperatures as well as the tank which has expansion and contraction and can break the seal. A 100 to 130 bucks is the way to go. If it were mine, I would replace it completely. Water can ruin a lot of things. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice and general comments that made this an entertaining thread.

We did decide to buy a new toilet and we are going to purchase it tonight. It's been annoying having to go downstairs when nature calls so I'll be happy when the new one is installed.

Now to just deal with this skunk problem I am having. Home-ownership is a never ending punch in the face.

I'd recommend a Korean combination toilet and bidet. Surely you've seen them. Luxury.

I've seen them. Toilets in East Asia (Japan, Korea, etc) are a whole other level. We aren't there yet. If we decide to redo this bathroom, we may go for a luxury toilet, but I'd rather spend that money on the shower.

Thanks everyone for the advice and general comments that made this an entertaining thread.

We did decide to buy a new toilet and we are going to purchase it tonight. It's been annoying having to go downstairs when nature calls so I'll be happy when the new one is installed.

Now to just deal with this skunk problem I am having. Home-ownership is a never ending punch in the face.

Strategically place C4 is one way of dealing with them. Boom!! Problem solved. Easy as.

Archived