Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabs

Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On

I was at a rehearsal hall in Van Nuys, CA one night and this guy was wearing a Vanilla Fudge t-shirt. I asked if he liked Vanilla Fudge and he looked at me funny and said "Yes." I later learned it was Mark Stein, the vocalist/keyboardist for the band...If I recall, this was in the mid to late 80's.

Did anyone notice...

The drummer in Vanilla Fudge drums in a remarkably similar style to the Crazy Drummer (well parts of it anyway)

I loved their early takes on popular songs. That and "Season Of The Witch" are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Great arrangements.

Notes

You ever heard this? Another fun cover

Vanilla Fudge giving lessons on how to be a band! Tim sportin an actual Tele bass it seems, instead of just the neck. Nice!

rct

Droolin' over those old Marshalls in the backline. Great tune.

That said I have found the rest of their recorded output rather, meh...

I've seen this one a # of times.. it's great video of a great band...

Hard to beat what some these guys were doing all them years ago.

So you are telling me people actually like these guys? I only knew Carmine Appice was the drummer and Frank Zappa made fun of them on some songs. I think that is the first time I ever heard a Fudge song. Unlike my shampoo I will not Lather Rinse Repeat. That made me laugh.

Lol. I use to play with a one handed keyboardist too. But instead of flailing his left hand about in a dramatic fashion, he used it to hold a beer and a Marlboro. With just one hand he only made half as many mistakes.

So you are telling me people actually like these guys? I only knew Carmine Appice was the drummer and Frank Zappa made fun of them on some songs. I think that is the first time I ever heard a Fudge song. Unlike my shampoo I will not Lather Rinse Repeat. That made me laugh.

No.. mostly just this one song.... I don't think anyone is claiming they are their favourite band or anything... just that one song

So you are telling me people actually like these guys?

I liked quite a bit of their stuff. Especially the inventive re-arrangements of other songs like "You Keep Me Hanging On".

Notes

I always liked their version of this song. Mark Stein has a big strong voice. he just needs to calm his left hand down. thats the only thing that bugs me. a lot of talent there.

FZ's post did crack me up.

They were essentially a visual rock band. Very dynamic in a live performance. And some of their covers were interesting.

I have to confess I was in a band that did a lot of stuff like this in 1967-1969. It was a lot of fun! [thumbup]