Gibson Brands Forums

Why does GC suck so much lately?

Homz

Is it true in other areas as well. I have been doing business with the local Indianapolis Guitar Center for many years. I've probably spent around $10k in this place. For the last 6 months they have pissed me off nearly every time I go. They do seem to be knowledgeable about the gear, but lack in the common curiosity and general salesmanship. There is one guy in there that doesn't treat me like sh1t, but he's always very busy. It's not hard to tell why. I am under the impression they think they're the only game in town. I have discovered they are not.

What's your thoughts. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. Although I am nothing in person like I am here on line. I open doors for people and am courteous etc. etc..

i dont really like guitar center. in pensacola they have really bad customer service and a high turnover rate. the only time i ever go they is to buy parts the local guitar shop dosnt have. i have always chosen the local guitar shop over the name brands because they are more curtiouse and take time to help you and explain everything. we are also friends with the local guitar shop owner and my parents have me in lessons there.

I think customer service sucks everywhere now days the guitar center is the closest store to me by several miles so I use it for strings and cables. I don't buy guitars from them anymore since they did the whole no negotiating but will price match crap but overall never really had a issue and the same two or three managers and lead sales people are still there after three of four years?

Sadly in a lot of area's GC is just about the only place to buy most of the smaller mom and pop music stores are gone just like books stores, record shops, sporting good shops, bike shops, restaurants and everything else we live in the world of chain stores & warehouse liquidation shopping if you can't buy in bulk Gibson doesn't sell to you anymore. that will be the last straw when Gibson's become a seasonal item and the Price Club... :-#

Price matching always makes me wonder though?

If two or more stores say they will always sell lower than their competition shouldn't we be able to get stuff for free?

It's about a hundred mile round trip for me to the nearest GC, but it's always been worth it. I make sure they have what I'm interested in before I go and they're always eager to help me and answer any questions I have. Last time I was in, to buy my bass and amp, they salesman was excellent. I damn near bought one of the little Egnater heads just from appreciating his pitch while he was closing the bass sale. Then they carried all my new stash to my truck and stuffed it in for me. Great place. They know that MF/GC takes a beating on the web but this particular store doesn't fit the popular "GC sucks and I spent a lot of money there!" profile.

We have a much closer mom/pop store that I drove right past on my way to GC. For much the same reasons most people cite for hating GC.

The reason customer service at GC sucks is because all the good little boys and girls are stumbling around trying to look busy in a business most of them have no business being in.

Like everyone else in their generation, they're sneaking around texting their friends about the new high score on Guitar Hero or Rock Band or "Sexting" one another the latest floosie to take her top off at a frat party.

I find them shallow with no business trying to tell me why I have to pay top dollar for an ES 335 that they're not even sure comes with a case or not, because they have to ask their manager before they even take the guitar off the wall.

They've been very nice at the GC, but they stopped negotiating on price. They wanted to sell me the Premium Plus for $3,000 which was, at the time, the same price on all websites that I saw, including the one for GC. The co-owner of the famous House of Guitars in Rochester gave it to me for $2,100. That was a lot cheaper than what GC wanted for a Standard! Hmm, guess where I get my stuff now???

100 miles away would save me $$$ I'm only about 6 miles from a Guitar Center and have two other shops even closer. You should have let him talk yiou into the Rebel it's a fun little Amp.

568795.jpg

Dayum, that's a sweet looking/sounding setup. I'm sorely tempted to make another run down that way. It's not a bad price for what it is. How much do you use yours?

we live in the world of chain stores & warehouse liquidation shopping

Its really sad... really really sad.

Price matching always makes me wonder though?

If two or more stores say they will always sell lower than their competition shouldn't we be able to get stuff for free?

Ive wondered about that too... what if you spent a day or two running between GC samash and any other store near you...? Free gibson reissue!

Guitar Center is there to sell stuff. Some of the younger guys don't have enough sense to be curteous even if they are knowledgable. I usually go in and point at a guitar on the wall and someone gets it for me. I'm old and grey so they assume I might be Eric Clapton or someone else famous. I usually tell them I might want to buy this or another guitar and want to play it through whatever amp I want. They are very accomidating. I have a fair amount of stage presence so it is easier.

When I go to the little stuff counter (picks, slides, straps etc.) they usually have some green kid that doesn't know much so he can't do much. I just give them the evil eye and command him to do my bidding (politely)(I'm from the south so it is easy).

It is a place that young wanna bes want to work at for the exposure and prestige. They gain face with there friends for working there.

All chain stores are pretty much like that. If you know your stuff they usually become beta to your alfa...

that Guitar Center blows. IMO, the WHOLE store blows. pretty much every salesman is a tool and the manager is an idiot.

i disagree with ya Homz, i dont think those people know their *** from a hole in the ground. The "pickup" guy couldnt tell me if the SD 59 he was holding was a 2 lead or a 4 lead. in fact i had to explain it to him. then he wanted to know why it mattered; i said i wanted a coil tap. guess what? i had to explain to him what a coil tap was....

the only reason i go in there is to peruse the used gear. a few years ago they had a Mesa Mark II C+ combo for $1500 and i didnt buy it....still kickin' myself over that one.

that Guitar Center blows. IMO' date=' the WHOLE store blows. pretty much every salesman is a tool and the manager is an idiot.

i disagree with ya Homz, i dont think those people know their *** from a hole in the ground. The "pickup" guy couldnt tell me if the SD 59 he was holding was a 2 lead or a 4 lead. in fact i had to explain it to him. then he wanted to know why it mattered; i said i wanted a coil tap. guess what? i had to explain to him what a coil tap was....

the only reason i go in there is to peruse the used gear. a few years ago they had a Mesa Mark II C+ combo for $1500 and i didnt buy it....still kickin' myself over that one.[/quote']

I've never got that technical with them. I go to IRC for guitar work generally. They're not a Gibson warranty shop either though.

The guy that seems to know his stuff at GC is the guy with the black shoulder length hair in his mid/Late 20's.

I do remember the guy's name that pisses me off regularly, but I skip the introductions here.

The guy that seems to know his stuff at GC is the guy with the black shoulder length hair in his mid/Late 20's.

i know who you're talking about. he's nice, but he doesnt know jack **** about gibsons. maybe he's a fender guy.

There are 2 GCs here and a Sam Ash as well as a few smaller places. I usually buy my gear at the smaller places, but sometimes you can get a good deal at GC. I got my Silverburst V for $850 on clearance, which was $1200 regular. On the other hands, Alto Music in Middletown has two in stock for $1060 regular price. One of the GCs and the Sam Ash here seem to have mostly knowledgeable people who know what they're talking about, the other ones pretty much full of kids. If you're in the area, Alto Music in Monsey and Middletown, NY and Toms River Music in Toms River, NJ have a pretty good staff and good prices, TR Music isn't a Gibson dealer though.

Archived