Gibson Brands Forums

Let's see your amps!

Dub-T-123

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch ya doing with that SG? :)

It's an SG Futura body/neck I bought from Stratosphere on eBay.

It's going to be a rocker, DiMarzio Super Distortion on the bridge (with push/pull), Firebird mini on the neck.

All nickel hardware, black 5-play wide bevel black guard and by God I will inlay the remaining two dots on the 24th fret.

Lovely sounding Twin! So did you hot rod the V1 side?

Just revoiced the V1 channel a little so it's a little more beefy. When you jumper the two channels it gets really full sounding. The two channels are rewired so they're in phase and both have reverb and vibrato. It's kind of similar to what they did with the '68 DRRI. Just a little different voicing on the V1 channel and a different way of wiring the two channels together.

This is my other amp (and my drum kit ;) - a 90's DRRI.

full.jpg

Since I've started using the non reverb/tremolo channel, I am falling in love with this amp again. The two mods I am itching to do are

1. Make the bright cap on the reverb channel bypass-able with a push/pull pot. The reverb and tremolo on this amp are great, but the bright cap is annoying. It makes solid body guitars sound anemic.

2. Upgrade the stock Eminence speaker. A local tech said the Cannabis Rex is the way to go, but I know a cat that uses a Celestion Gold (not cheap) with his and it sounds pretty sweet.

1. Make the bright cap on the reverb channel bypass-able with a push/pull pot. The reverb and tremolo on this amp are great, but the bright cap is annoying. It makes solid body guitars sound anemic.

Just cut it. Bright caps suck.

Just revoiced the V1 channel a little so it's a little more beefy. When you jumper the two channels it gets really full sounding. The two channels are rewired so they're in phase and both have reverb and vibrato. It's kind of similar to what they did with the '68 DRRI. Just a little different voicing on the V1 channel and a different way of wiring the two channels together.

When I got my SFDR, the V1 channel had been modified by a supposedly hot shot amp modder. Basically he had removed the tone stack altogether which did give it a lot more gain. I had it re-wired stock, but now am kinda missing that screaming channel.

This is my other amp (and my drum kit ;) - a 90's DRRI.

full.jpg

Since I've started using the non reverb/tremolo channel, I am falling in love with this amp again. The two mods I am itching to do are

2. Upgrade the stock Eminence speaker. A local tech said the Cannabis Rex is the way to go, but I know a cat that uses a Celestion Gold (not cheap) with his and it sounds pretty sweet.

Nice amp and kit!

Since these reissue amps use PCB mounted pots I dunno if you'd be able to fit a push/pull in there. If space is an issue you might have to use a mini toggle instead or just snip the cap as Surfpup suggested.

PS you are going to freak for the trem + spring verb that I just started working on!

It's an SG Futura body/neck I bought from Stratosphere on eBay.

It's going to be a rocker, DiMarzio Super Distortion on the bridge (with push/pull), Firebird mini on the neck.

All nickel hardware, black 5-play wide bevel black guard and by God I will inlay the remaining two dots on the 24th fret.

That's going to be awesome! [omg]

When you get her done please post a special thread on that creation. Can't wait to see the finished beast! [thumbup]

When I got my SFDR, the V1 channel had been modified by a supposedly hot shot amp modder. Basically he had removed the tone stack altogether which did give it a lot more gain. I had it re-wired stock, but now am kinda missing that screaming channel.

Maybe you could install a push-pull volume pot that defeats the tone stack. Not sure.

Maybe you could install a push-pull volume pot that defeats the tone stack. Not sure.

Is that a "Revibe type" unit? With the 6G15 reverb coupled with the harmonic reverb? [thumbup]

Yep! Have you built one?

I got the chassis, fiberboard, transformers, and spring tank from Weber. Doing the rest "a la carte". ThInking about getting a mod tank to try out too since they're pretty cheap

Nice amp and kit!

Thank you!

Since these reissue amps use PCB mounted pots I dunno if you'd be able to fit a push/pull in there. If space is an issue you might have to use a mini toggle instead or just snip the cap as Surfpup suggested.

This makes me sad :(

PS you are going to freak for the trem + spring verb that I just started working on!

I can only imagine. Bet it will be killer.

The good old Böhm-Regent combos:

HPIM3341_zps93e3d272.jpg

Bence.

Just going through this old thread admiring the different amps, and was wondering what you play the LP Recording through? My understanding was that they were low impedance and required a special amp, or going through PA system?

Yep! Have you built one?

I got the chassis, fiberboard, transformers, and spring tank from Weber. Doing the rest "a la carte". ThInking about getting a mod tank to try out too since they're pretty cheap

No. I haven't built a Re Vibe but I'd like to at least build a harmonic tremolo unit like the tremolo part of the Re Vibe.

That's a good idea!

The thing about the DR is if you do a little rewiring and get the two channels tied together - so they're in phase and both have reverb and vibrato - then you can input to both channels with an A/B/Y box. Then you can revoice one of them and have two different channels that can be jumped. Maybe I already said that.

I'm still messing with voicing of the 'other" channel.

No. I haven't built a Re Vibe but I'd like to at least build a harmonic tremolo unit like the tremolo part of the Re Vibe.

That would be cool. I'm really excited about that project! Right now I've got the board populated and I'm wiring it up. Let's hope there isn't too much debugging needed

As Dub says, SS pre-; Valve (Tube) power-.

Mine is an early chassis which means it also utilised a valve for phase-inverter duties but, not long after my amp was built, this section was redesigned to an SS circuit for the reason explained here;

"Originally there was one pre-amp tube – a 12AX7 – used for the phase inverter stage of the amp. This is the stage between pre-amp and power amp. This way a certain amount of tube distortion was added. In about 1977 this tube was replaced with a solid-state version. The reason was that a certain malfunction of this tube could cause severe damage to the complete output section, including a damage to the power tubes and the expensive output transformer. The amps with the new solid-state phase inverter still sound very similar to the earlier models, but are nevertheless by some considered as sounding not as warm as before."

I sort of wish I hadn't read that paragraph.....msp_ohmy.gif.....

Here's a snap of some old radio repairman(*) slaving away (with what is Very Probably My Amp in the background) at the MM workbench...

leo-fender%20and%20Music%20Man_zpsjqlgrlwb.jpg

More (quite interesting!) info, if desired, can be found here (from where the above quote and photo were lifted).

They are from a site discussing Mark Knopfler's Gear;

http://www.mk-guitar...an-guitar-amps/

I know how you guys understand and love all those 'road-map' type thingies so I thought you might have fun with this!

http://www.pacair.co...and_2275-75.pdf

Pip.

(*) For the young 'uns amongst us I should point out that this old radio repairman did quite well for himself in his own way. His name was Leo Fender.

Archived