Gibson Brands Forums

Bonded

Buc McMaster

Well I have to say that this Hummingbird is without question the finest acoustic guitar I have ever owned. Playability has always been first on my list of requirements......this one well exceeds the mark. Feels very good on a strap. Very warm, dry tone. Perfect.

That is all.

Buc, could you try to describe in more detail just what you feel and hear in this particular guitar, that was not quite there for you with other guitars in the past?

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I find it kind of interesting that the Hummingbird, along with the Martin D-35, is just about the only acoustic guitar design considered a true classic today, that did not originate back in the 30's or 40's.

Both guitars are also often used by singer-songwriters.

Lars

Plek schmek. Marketing tool is all that is. I will grant that the machine likely speeds fret leveling in production, which is an important step in high end guitar building, but that's about it. Setup each instrument for optimal play..........with a machine? No way. There is not now and never will be a machine that can to that. A production tool waved around by the ad department...............

On this guitar the strings were high in the nut, the saddle was too tall and there was too much relief dialed in..........all easily remedied if the neck set is right. Neck is very right. The saddle and relief I do myself but, not having a set of nut files, I did take it to the shop for a while-I-wait adjustment at that end of the neck (again......it's good to have friends in the business!). Bingo! Now the instrument is setup for optimal play for me. I'm sure some factory setups are satisfactory for some players, but to claim a machine can get the best out of a guitar setup is just silly. One of the things one learns along the guitar player's road is how recognize potential in an off-the-shelf instrument........what is right about the instrument, what is wrong with it for you as a player and can any shortcomings be accommodated easily enough...........the ability to evaluate the thing as an adjustable product. Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to walk into a shop and find every guitar perfectly setup to your liking, allowing the buyer to focus on sound and cosmetics alone to decide, but in my world that just doesn't happen.

More detail, Lars? Well as you know it's difficult to accurately describe such things.......

It is solid. The guitar feels substantial in the hands, doesn't feel contrived and artificial..........it feels real.

It plays. There is nothing about it that I feel is against me, that resists me, that interferes with what I want to do with it.

It has a voice. The tone is very nicely balanced and warm. The lows are solid, well defined and not mushy anywhere on the fretboard. The highs have body, not shrill and biting but smooth and pleasing to the ear. A result of the cooked top? Don't know......don't care.

It is visually appealing. A nice thing to be, but not a requirement. I like old things better than new things and the Vintage has a head start at being old when it's new. I did replace the factory pick guard to have one that will visually age as the paint wears away. I never wipe it down so it accumulates fingerprints, smudges, spit from singing over it. The neck has a crud buildup in the areas my hand skips over as I play. It's wearing the by-products of use.......I like that.......others may consider it abuse. It's mine. Guitar playing and ownership is a very personal thing.......what one prefers another abhors. It's "every man for himself" when deciding what to play, how to play it and what to do or not do with it otherwise.

This is my guitar. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My guitar is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life............

And, unlike the rifles some of us recall from 50+ years ago, it is capable of producing more than one note💀 I like your notion of allowing the patina to accumulate of its own volition - some guitars and the relationship you have with them make that nearly imperative. Not everyone has experienced that and some probably won't, but it's special.

Archived