Gibson Brands Forums

SG Neck Dive

rd2rk

Had an Epi Custom Shop SG for a while, neck dive was annoying and as I was in a "flipping" phase, sold it. Kinda regret it, as it was otherwise a nice guitar, and I'd'a probably got used to it, but so it goes! Never had a Gibson SG, so don't have any idea how it compares re neck dive. Thinking about an Iommi SG, but seems like more frets=more dive?

Can any Iommi owners comment?

SG has unique tone but needs a wide strap with a suede backing. Then the neck dive is not too bad.

Exactly, I have two Gibson USA SGs and I use wide suede straps (for everything, I don't use the "Seatbelt" straps at all.)

They don't move at all.

SG has unique tone but needs a wide strap with a suede backing. Then the neck dive is not too bad.

Exactly, I have two Gibson USA SGs and I use wide suede straps (for everything, I don't use the "Seatbelt" straps at all.)

They don't move at all.

What they say. [thumbup]

The difference between an Epi SG and a Gibby SG is that the strap button is further up the neck on a Gibby. Epi SG's are modeled on the 66 Gibby SG's and even that 66 reissue Gibby SG has that same problem. Why Epi persist in that design is beyond me!

One really important consideration is the weight of the tuners.

Many players swap out tuners quite casually, (I believe that guys do this because they CAN do it) All you need's screw driver.

The Gibson Deluxe tuners that are stock on a Gibson SG weigh about half of what the Grover Rotomatics do.

Grover Rotomatics are excellent machines, but not on an SG. It's as simple as that, or it might be.

I learned this the hard way of course. I've installed heavy Grover tuners one two different guitars, and been

annoyed when they became head heavy... Played them both for a length of time, just out of denial. Then

replaced the Grovers with lighter weight but excellent tuners and had no further problems.

Sooooo if you own an Epi SG that is head heavy, and you look at the tuners and notice that they are Grover Rotomatics

there's your problem. Replace those with Gotoh Keystones from Philadelphia Luthier Supply, and your guitar will

not dive for the floor. Grover also makes a set for Gibson guitars, called Grover Vintage Keystones... they look the same

as Gibson stock tuners, and weigh the same, but have a bit higher ratio. I like this quite well also.

Nothing wrong with the wide strap idea either, but removing the heavy Grovers solves the problem IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I searched everywhere for the lightest guitar that sounded good.

Ironically was the $99 epiphone sg special 1 limited edition.

Has NO kill switch and a wraparound bridge.

Best part is NO NECK DIVE AT ALL

weight = 5.5 pounds.

Every other SG I played including Gibson's were too heavy and had some thick necks

Archived