Gibson Brands Forums

Welcome to my Bathroom

Buc McMaster

The wife was frittering around the house this morning with her iPod playing and this tune rolled by. Not sure why it struck me as something I could do.......still wondering about that. But it's not a tune you would expect to hear done acoustically solo. Thought I'd see if the relatively hard surfaced bath would add a little reverb effect to the video........maybe, maybe not........ Anyway, warts and all, after a few passes and still having to read the lyrics, this is what I came up with...........from 1964...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB82bxi9gVk

Really nice, Buc!

Hmmmm... I sense a pattern here, between this and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".

Looks like a journey into the American Popular Songbook of the second half of the 20th Century. Burt Bacharach and Hal David, take a bow!

Not sure why it struck me as something I could do.......still wondering about that.

Well, it's certainly in your range!

But it's not a tune you would expect to hear done acoustically solo.

Although your guitar is right there, I do think your strong voice deserves (deserves, not needs) more accompaniment. Or maybe, as you say, it's just what's expected with this song.... msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks guys. Tough tune, but after working on it for a day it's much better than this bathroom session and it's going on the short list for the honky tonk set. Should be a nice surprise for those in attendance! Ha! [biggrin]

Chords, please?

I really like this arrangement.

Chords, please?

I used these, Nick, in the key of Am (but remember my guitar is down a half step). The "arrangement" in this video is a bit improvised as I missed the Am7 coming out of the second chorus.........just went with it and kept going.........

Make a recording for us, are you?

Nick - what kind of damage did you Do on that boat??

Not damage from the boat. Permanent skin damage from too many years of using solvents and resins without adequate protection. Youthful folly, followed by adult payback. I have to wear gloves in one form or another these days to do almost anything other than play the guitar.

It all started to catch up with me about five year ago.

Not damage from the boat. Permanent skin damage from too many years of using solvents and resins without adequate protection. Youthful folly, followed by adult payback. I have to wear gloves in one form or another these days to do almost anything other than play the guitar.

It all started to catch up with me about five year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, Nick. Know a little about the youthful folly business, too. Hope you heal sufficiently to get playing again soon....

Ouch. And I agree that uninformed youthful enthusiasm can lead to adult misery. Kind of sad that we tend disregard warnings when we are young and late in life pay the price we were warned about. It's easy to believe that youth is bulletproof. Did a little yard work yesterday and my much abused back is reminding me today of youthful indiscretions. It happens to us all............you have my understanding.

Hey! Uber cool to do that song stripped down. Never would have thought of that one, lol. Even though yo are a really good singer, some songs magically fit a singer's range, and this one fits yours.

What a well-written song.

I can hear some strings, probably a cello, accompanying this. I can hear the parts. Would be wonderful.

Archived