Gibson Brands Forums

Fun challenge for the singers ?

EuroAussie

Buc, you made it work! I never heard the song or of the band for that matter.

And thats the whole point Keith .. a bit of perspective, I can suggest a couple songs for you also if youd like to have a bit of fun ?

Like this one from the same band, i have a feeling you just might pull it off if you did it your way, and surprise yourself - same band, Radiohead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaaZ1IwH1g&index=4&list=PLDdjexgjElXSTWp_GU_urkCaVdhWLmHPr

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.M.G. There are reasons I choose to play the tunes I do.........they work for me......mostly. This is not my kind of tune, obviously, but I suppose that was the point of the thread. I'm tired of trying to do anything much with it, so here ya go............dropped an octave just for something different. That is what you wanted, yes?

Buc, that was very cool, and also very interesting. I can't fault the playing, nor the singing, or the overall performance in any way whatsoever, but just like you said, the song does not fit you at all. I find that extremely fascinating and thought about it for a while. To me, the reason for the lack of fit is that the lyrics kind of border on the ridiculous, at least when read out loud, but they are at the same time very personal. When Thom Yorke of Radiohead does the original version, there is something about him and the song that makes it fall on the right side of the ridiculous border. When I hear him do the song, I tend to believe what he sings. In your version, well, different story. Your not a creep, very far from it [biggrin]

There is a good television show here in Sweden that brings together established artists, from various genres and generations. On the show they meet during one week to get to know each other, talk about their work, and most importantly, perform covers of each others' songs. It is fascinating to see rap songs, turned into country ballads, or electronic dance music turned into folk etc. Sometimes magic happens, but at other times it just falls completely flat. Very few artists, if any, through out the series, have been able to make all covers their own. I have noticed that it is easier for a contemporary rap artist to do a 60's acoustic protest song, or a 70’s punk song, and make it believable, than for the 60's protest singer to cover the rap song. The newer stuff rarely has that timeless feel, making it harder to transfer between generations. I think this is what happened in your case, Buc. Not much you can do about it. Sometimes stereotypes are rough...

Even though you obviously felt akward doing the song, I really appreciate you going through with it. Wanna do Like a Virgin by Madonna next?

Lars

Its a pity, it was a great, great show ... do you live in the North or the South ? I didnt tell you but i spend 3 months in stockholm in summer of 99' painting your roof tops and getting drunk on the Viking line on way to Turku.

And ... youve given me inspiration to do Friday Im in Love at my gigs. Its a huge crowd favourite and i normally play friday nites, so its a perfect fit. Found this gorgeous acoustic version that ill use as a referance .So thanks for the idea Lars !

I live in the South and Stockholm is about four hours away by car. Stockholm is a very nice city and I hope the you enjoyed your time there. Apreciate the roof top work, too [biggrin]

As for Friday I'm in Love, I think the song will be perfect for your gigs. I don't know how it is in America, but I believe this songs is familiar to most Europeans, even if only remotely interested in music. It is the definition of a fun and catchy pop song. It is perfect within its genre, I believe.

My version is what it is. I don't really have the ability to do songs other then my way. I can't really play around with various rythmic styles or singing voices. I still struggle to keep the songs together, and most of the time fail to do so. I can't really judge the outcome of my take on The Cure, but I enjoyed trying, and I can hear that the result at least sounds very different from anything I have done previously, which I guess is a good thing [biggrin]

Lars

By the way, if you don't have one, doing this song will give you the perfect reason to get a 12-string. I did my version with this guitar:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/acoustic/g5022cwfe-12-rancher-falcon-acoustic-electric-12-string-fishman-pickup-system-white

So if this song is the odd one in my tiny repertoire, the guitar is the same among my other guitars. A good fit, after all.

And thats the whole point Keith .. a bit of perspective, I can suggest a couple songs for you also if youd like to have a bit of fun ?

Like this one from the same band, i have a feeling you just might pull it off if you did it your way, and surprise yourself - same band, Radiohead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaaZ1IwH1g&index=4&list=PLDdjexgjElXSTWp_GU_urkCaVdhWLmHPr

I will have to look at it later Mark. I have been slammed at work and by the time I have been getting home, picking up the guitar has been at the bottom of the list right now.

O.M.G. There are reasons I choose to play the tunes I do.........they work for me......mostly. This is not my kind of tune, obviously, but I suppose that was the point of the thread. I'm tired of trying to do anything much with it, so here ya go............dropped an octave just for something different. That is what you wanted, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaqbRWUM2A

Ha! Well done, Buc--good on ya for joining in. Yes, it makes me remember that there's some method in my own madness, as far as keeping with the material that works for me.

But, yes a bit of fun, and you didn't disappoint. [thumbup]

And well done ... that was the Buc Sinatra version of Creep. You did it well and you did the track justice, now that was fun wasnt it ? [cool]

More like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt for me, Buc. Unlike Lars, I thought it worked very well. Thom Yorke who wrote it also favours a Hummingbird for acoustic work.

Ten years ago you could still bump into him in the centre of Oxford. He had one of these rather than a Hummingbird in those days, though:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=quinny+type+pram&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8rOPgs8zQAhUIBcAKHRFxA8gQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=quinny+buzz+xtra&imgrc=ylQquHtGrKg2AM%3A

Do something crazy by The Pogues

We have never heard this band and until a few months ago we had never heard of them either. But then our rock musician son suggested we do a song way out of our genre -- bluegrass and tradition folk -- so we learned a rock song for him. We later learned it was done by the Pogues -- we still haven't heard them do it.

Here is our attempt at an Appalachian style a capella rendition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K85SlSEB6fc&feature=youtu.be

Let's pick.

-Tom

We have never heard this band and until a few months ago we had never heard of them either. But then our rock musician son suggested we do a song way out of our genre -- bluegrass and tradition folk -- so we learned a rock song for him. We later learned it was done by the Pogues -- we still haven't heard them do it.

Here is our attempt at an Appalachian style a capella rendition.

Let's pick.

-Tom

Well done! This song was actually written by the father of Kirtsty MacColl and later recorded by The Pogues. I would not call it a rock song, more of an Irish folk song. Here is the version by the Pogues:

Believe it or not, but there is also a duet version of this song by Townes van Zandt and Shane MacGowan, lead singer of The Pogues, and unfortunately also too heavy a drinker. I have it on CD. That's an unlikely combo. Couldn't find that one, but found Townes (in pretty bad shape, late in life)

Well done! This song was actually written by the father of Kirtsty MacColl and later recorded by The Pogues. I would not call it a rock song, more of an Irish folk song. Here is the version by the Pogues:

Believe it or not, but there is also a duet version of this song by Townes van Zandt and Shane MacGowan, lead singer of The Pogues, and unfortunately also too heavy a drinker. I have it on CD. That's an unlikely combo. Couldn't find that one, but found Townes (in pretty bad shape, late in life)

Thanks.

-Tom

Well Ewan MacColl was actually from Manchester in England, and his parents were Scottish. The dirty old town of the song is Salford on the outskirts of Manchester, where the weekly BBC Folk Show is recorded. He was married to Peggy Seeger, sister of Pete, and apparently it was Alan Lomax who really got him seriously into folk music. So it's slightly less Irish than Shane MacGowan (born in Kent, educated at Westminster School).

But then Tom knows that, I'm pretty sure. His video includes lots of shots of northern English streets and buildings...

Nice version, by the way.

Super recording Mr E!!

Excellent Blondie variant Mr B.

Here's White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane...uked.Fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzE1QRG-u8

So finally I've had a chance to hear this, Flatters. Close my eyes and I can almost believe it's Grace Slick singing. Astounding how you can make one uke sound like Jorma, Kantner and Jack Casady all together. Morning maniac music, believe me, yeah. B)

........the reason for the lack of fit is that the lyrics kind of border on the ridiculous........

Wanna do Like a Virgin by Madonna next?

I suppose the lyrics might ring true for a 21st century pimple-faced 16 year old confronting his hormones. Teen angst thing. But Town Without Pity is a teen angst lyric as well, but so much more well stated and with a much better melody. They just don't write 'em like they used to............

And in answer to your question...........NO!

I suppose the lyrics might ring true for a 21st century pimple-faced 16 year old confronting his hormones. Teen angst thing. But Town Without Pity is a teen angst lyric as well, but so much more well stated and with a much better melody. They just don't write 'em like they used to............

I'm no 16 year old , even though I get the occasional pimple , but I was a big fan of that song , was a huge thing at the time . Still a big Radiohead fan , but that song not so much these days

The town without pity song didn't relate to me one single bit , lyrics didn't connect at all

Just not my type of music I guess ... no offence brother , your rendition was a joy regardless .

I feel you'd relate to like a virgin much easier than creep

Nice one, it sonds a bit like your trying to do Bluesking in a way .... which makes me wonder, so what is your 'normal' genre that you would play / sing if blues is the 'no' standard genre ?

I don't think there is a particular genre for me. I go from jazz type standards like Makin Woopee back in the 28s via Everlys Beatles, Stones, Oasis. I like a challenge!

Take it you don't rate the melody to 'The Air that I Breathe' by the Hollies either, then, Buc? They didn't write 'em like that back in the day either, I guess.

Take it you don't rate the melody to 'The Air that I Breathe' by the Hollies either, then, Buc? They didn't write 'em like that back in the day either, I guess.

Apart from anything else, thanx for bringing that oldie back to the surface. Not a tune one thinks of every day. So let's celebrate.

I remember visiting London w. some friends as a very young man. The tourist-bus between the hotel and the airport for some reason had no front window, but drove anyway.

It made a warm summer-evening-breeze come through the cabin, , , and suddenly The Hollies joined in from the radio.

Guess the chauffeur cranked the volume up, , , certainly took me up there too. . .

1974 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HydvceA1PAI

Holy crap! I think we have a winner here.

Several fine contributions here, but have to agree. flatbarogue takes the trophy and runs. The spirit in unbeaten.

So how about something a bit more driven, or maybe a classic number that we know you have in you but have not seen -

Well, our version of Annie got some kind words from a lot of you ^ and EA encouraged me to try something with more drive.

Back on nov. 21 my answer was I would look into that and it seems I managed to find a track.

Here's an original from 2012. A bassless rocker on the HD-28V, , , with the lads.

https://soundcloud.c...can-anyone-tell

Cheers and good weekend to all

• 3 weeks later...

Finally did something for this thread. Spent ages deciding what. For a while I thought that Hogtie was right about three chords being a bit ambitious for us amateurs, so I had a crack at Pablo Picasso by the Modern Lovers - including a version on Mrs Mojo's mandolin. But I realized that I wouldn't be able to resist your collective stare. And besides, Mrs M's mando might be an A-style, but the holes are all Fs, which is not quite fitting for that song. So my little grey cells went onto overdrive for a while. Then, while I was in Poirot mode, I thought: what would Miss Lemon do? And then I knew what I had to do. On came the light bulb. She and the rest of her Trinity would do this song. I Fought the Law and the Law Won won. My apologies to you good people of taste.

https://youtu.be/BSsFEVMekjU

Finally did something for this thread. Spent ages deciding what. For a while I thought that Hogtie was right about three chords being a bit ambitious for us amateurs, so I had a crack at Pablo Picasso by the Modern Lovers - including a version on Mrs Mojo's mandolin. But I realized that I wouldn't be able to resist your collective stare. And besides, Mrs M's mando might be an A-style, but the holes are all Fs, which is not quite fitting for that song. So my little grey cells went onto overdrive for a while. Then, while I was in Poirot mode, I thought: what would Miss Lemon do? And then I knew what I had to do. On came the light bulb. She and the rest of her Trinity would do this song. I Fought the Law and the Law Won won. My apologies to you good people of taste.

https://youtu.be/BSsFEVMekjU

Great version Mojo.Some nifty chord changes and strumming patterns.With added flanging [smile] ..not added by you though. I've got this in my uke repertoire for Xmas day sing songs.But I only do a simple version.Yours is true to the original...in a good way!

• 3 weeks later...

Great version Mojo.Some nifty chord changes and strumming patterns.With added flanging [smile] ..not added by you though. I've got this in my uke repertoire for Xmas day sing songs.But I only do a simple version.Yours is true to the original...in a good way!

Thanks for the kind words, Flatters. Hope your uke version went down well.

I've noticed that the flanging happens whenever I play with a lamp on. So I know there's a link between the lamp and the flanging. Can't hear it from behind the guitar, mind, but it's there whenever I listen to playback of the guitar from the front. So I've scientifically demonstrated that an electric light makes my guitar flange. Perhaps if you turn a light on your uke will do tremolo.

Archived