Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...........

NHTom

2016 R8 Gloss Lemonburst Standard Historic.........

She's got a nice chunky neck, bit of a beast at 9 lbs even, LOVE the grain and while tough to catch, it's got a bit of plaintop vibe between the bridge and where your forearm rests.

Swapped the buttons to schaller strap locks

Also threw on a set of Tru Vintage knobs............

BEFORE

101_1667_zps5arwli3p.jpg

AFTER

101_1669_zps9al19qh2.jpg

NHTom

I've got to say I'm blown away by this thing............been playing it all afternoon.

I always considered myself sort of a 60's thin neck guy as I love the Special I have with it. My other special and studio are kind of "in between", and my OTHER special is a bit larger neck, but this thing is amazing.........

Just something about the shape of this neck that fills my hand completely, but is like my hand was molded to it. Just the right combination of thickness and unique shoulder curves that fits great. I've played some thicker necks that I didn't like, but something about this one just works for my hand size/shape.

This was kind of a major purchase for me..........this thing was about 3-4 times what I pay for my typical guitar.

I think my tastes must be "maturing" (God forbid....lol), as I was always the "I want them all" type of guy.

I think I'm finally learning that:

1) I'll never have every one I ever want......and,

2) I'm willing to wait for the select few that really work well for me. It's ok to admire them all and dream of them all, but only go after the ones that "speak" to you.

Between this one and the J45 I just picked up, I went through many many many acoustic and LP's that were beautiful, but for once I was able to exercise some will power and say "It's great, but it's not the one......". The others were all fine guitars, no issues, no flaws, and I'm sure they will "speak" to some one. Just very glad I held off for the ones that really spoke to me.

NHTom

I think I came a little. [blink] The lemon burst is just gorgeous.

LMAO...........yeah, I'm pretty impressed with it too..........

My wife said "I don't like the lemon color, it's UGLY".......I reminded her I still have not decided which one of them is getting the other half of the bed tonight.........lol

NHTom

Archived