Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...........

NHTom

That is simply stunning NHTom :o

Happy holidays from you to you brother. :)

When you buy gear of this caliber, I find that purchases like this change you. They make you a more serious player. You devote more time because it's no longer a hobby - it's a way of life. Congratulations Sir! E-N-J-O-Y!

[thumbup]

When you buy gear of this caliber, I find that purchases like this change you. They make you a more serious player.

[thumbup]

Very well put.........I agree.

I've always said to not buy kids the cheapest instrument possible to see if they like it........it needs to be something decent to give them a fair chance. Doesn't have to be expensive, but good quality. Not sure if it's psychological or what, but I have had a few instruments improve my playing. Maybe just due to a change in feel that it makes me approach things differently so it opens new doors or something along those lines.

It also helps that I can't put the thing down...........lol.

Thank you all for the kind words.

NHTom

Lovely! That's quite a highly flamed top for a 58. Probably the best compromise between the plainer 58s and the very highly flamed 59s. Very nice!

Yes, that's part of what I'm liking about it. At certain angles, it's very plain and others show the flame.

Thanks

NHTom

• 2 weeks later...

That's the exact model and finish and everything I could ever want in an R8. I am so incredibly envious of you, you lucky bastard.

Seriously an awesome purchase, an awesome guitar, just ******* awesome.

Don't you DARE ever let that thing go.

That's the exact model and finish and everything I could ever want in an R8. I am so incredibly envious of you, you lucky bastard.

Seriously an awesome purchase, an awesome guitar, just ******* awesome.

Don't you DARE ever let that thing go.

Thank You!!!!!

It's in the process right now of getting all the plastics and hardware replaced with Creamtone/TruVintage............Got the knobs, truss cover, poker chip, jack plate and thumb wheels...........waiting for the pickup rings, switch tip, and pick guard to arrive.........I'll post more pics when it's in it's "Complete State"..............heck, I've even got a custom strap on the way for it......

Don't worry, This one will be the last one to ever leave me........might even be in the coffin at the end....lol.

NHTom

Thank You!!!!!

It's in the process right now of getting all the plastics and hardware replaced with Creamtone/TruVintage............Got the knobs, truss cover, poker chip, jack plate and thumb wheels...........waiting for the pickup rings, switch tip, and pick guard to arrive.........I'll post more pics when it's in it's "Complete State"..............heck, I've even got a custom strap on the way for it......

Don't worry, This one will be the last one to ever leave me........might even be in the coffin at the end....lol.

NHTom

Exactly what I wanted to hear mate msp_thumbup.gif TruVintage is for the bridge and such? Not come across them before.

*Edit - just found they're part of CreamTone's range. Facepalm...

Exactly what I wanted to hear mate msp_thumbup.gif TruVintage is for the bridge and such? Not come across them before.

*Edit - just found they're part of CreamTone's range. Facepalm...

Yes, They are part of Creamtone.....with ties to Marks Guitar Loft. Really nice stuff.

For now, the pickups and bridge/tuners are going to stay stock............I've got to do a bit more research on what direction I want to go with those.........honestly, the stock setup is SO good, I'm not in any hurry to mess with any of that. The cosmetic stuff is just for fun.

NHTom

Progress continues..................

Installed Tru Vintage truss rod cover, poker chip, jack plate, knobs, and thumb wheels.

Installed Cream Tone switch tip, pickup rings, and pickguard bracket.

Currently only waiting on my Tru Vintage Dave Johnson pickguard, and my Longhorn Leather custom strap..............and it's killing me to wait.......lol.

Once I get more time with it, I'll decide if pickups or metal hardware are going to get changed or not.

I'll post pics once the "finished product" is done!

NHTom

• 2 weeks later...

withstrap1_zpsipklawaw.jpg

Got all my Creamtone/Truvintage parts installed, now all I need is the pickguard!

NHTom

Are the Truevintage p'up rings smaller than the Gibson Historic rings, Tom? That's quite a gap between the neck ring and the 'guard.

I'm surprised to see that there might be such a difference between the TV and Gibson historic parts. Hopefully the TV 'guard will match the rings size better.

Looking forward to the next set of pics!

Pip.

Hi Pippy,

The Creamtone rings are exact size. That gap is my doing. The actual vintage correct guards DO have a small gap there. It's proper to have that gap. The guard pictured is a normal gibson one that I attempted to modify........and got the gap too big. lol.

I'm picking up my TruVintage/Dave Johnson one on Monday which has the proper spec's gap. That will be the final step until I decide if I'm doing pickups or not. I'll post pictures asap once the "correct" one is on.

Go to this page and scroll down to the guards at the bottom. Mark gives a real good description of the guards and the differences.

http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=accessories

Thanks,

NHTom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived