Gibson Brands Forums

How should I prepare for acoustic gig

enso

Hi there, total technical noob here.

In a few days I will be playing singer-songwriter style gig and I know nothing about technicalities of stage. I have J45 and tomorrow I will buy LR Baggs Para DI - I read it is great DI box. But after that I'm confused. I will also be singing and I'm wondering about buying some of the acoustic amps with microphone line and mic effects like reverb - because, for one, I need some effects on my guitar, at least some reverb and on vocals it would be nice as well.

How the chain goes? Should it be guitar-> Di-> amp -> PA, or guitar->amp->DI->PA or something else? If I will plug my vocal mic into acoustic amp how it all will be working when signal will be transmitted to the PA? I don't know it there will be a mixer and sound guy, so it is best to think that there will be only raw PA system. Is there inputs in PA for two lines of XLR (one from DI box for example, or amp and one from mic, in case I would be playing without amp)? And what about normal "jack" inputs in PA?

I know it is all just rambling and you can see that I don't know basics, but maybe some of you know the situation and will be willing to help. It's my first serious gig and searching all that on the net is only confusing me more. Thanks!

Hi there, total technical noob here.

In a few days I will be playing singer-songwriter style gig and I know nothing about technicalities of stage. I have J45 and tomorrow I will buy LR Baggs Para DI - I read it is great DI box. But after that I'm confused. I will also be singing and I'm wondering about buying some of the acoustic amps with microphone line and mic effects like reverb - because, for one, I need some effects on my guitar, at least some reverb and on vocals it would be nice as well.

How the chain goes? Should it be guitar-> Di-> amp -> PA, or guitar->amp->DI->PA or something else? If I will plug my vocal mic into acoustic amp how it all will be working when signal will be transmitted to the PA? I don't know it there will be a mixer and sound guy, so it is best to think that there will be only raw PA system. Is there inputs in PA for two lines of XLR (one from DI box for example, or amp and one from mic, in case I would be playing without amp)? And what about normal "jack" inputs in PA?

I know it is all just rambling and you can see that I don't know basics, but maybe some of you know the situation and will be willing to help. It's my first serious gig and searching all that on the net is only confusing me more. Thanks!

I'll assume the PA/soundman will be all provided including direct box so you don't have to worry about an amp. If you had an amp there would probably be no point in having a padi when you have all the eq's and Di in the amp. If it's your first serious gig I wouldn't recommend learning a new amp on stage especially when you have a soundman. Less is more

I'll assume the PA/soundman will be all provided including direct box so you don't have to worry about an amp. If you had an amp there would probably be no point in having a padi when you have all the eq's and Di in the amp. If it's your first serious gig I wouldn't recommend learning a new amp on stage especially when you have a soundman. Less is more

Thanks! But the case is, that I don't really know if there will be soundman... I suggested him to the organizer, he didn't say yes, but also didn't say no. So I want to know as much as I need in case the will be no sound guy.

Each gig is very different and it would pay to ask the venue what they have and what you need to bring. eg> PA with soundman, PA with no soundman, nice mics, no mics. etc.

2 ways of preparing for an acoustic gig : .1 totally unprepared acoustic playing. 2. over-prepared with the 'works'!.

1. Just turn up with your guitar if they have PA with soundman.

2. Buy DI Box, Amp, Gadgetry, tuners, spares of everything, electrified acoustic guitar, your own PA, etc...etc. (And learn how to operate all the stuff - probably won't be ready to do that by next Saturday night.)

BluesKing777.

Try to be totally prepared acoustically. Even after many hundreds of gigs, every new one may different. The most important thing is not to let the environment put you off your game. After that, learn from what happens. I was once told by a pro who played a lot of singer-songwriter gigs -- if one in ten is great and only one in ten is terrible, then that is par.

But on balance it is worth it.

Best,

-Tom

Best advice is to make a dry run prior to your gig and check the place and the equipment out.............then you'll know what to expect when it's your night. It's been my experience (in the past!) that hosts do not like everyone dragging in amps and assorted gadgets, which is why every such event I've attended had all the necessaries on stage and ready to go. You, your guitar and a short, prepared set list should be all you need. G'luck and break a leg!

Open mikes that I have been to provide the PA etc, so just step right up to the mic and play. Direct box might be useful if the offer a chord for your guitar. Cant imagine needing the amp (the amp, would make a suitable PA for a small solo coffee house gig). The last electric open mikes I went to , I brought a tube screamer and a spare chord to control my own sound (the house amp choice was clean or metal).

But the Most Important Thing? Know you songs!

We're it I...

Just show up with guitar and assume everything will be set up for you. If not borrow, from other performers and buy them a beer (cheaper than an amp). Tell the crowd how much you appreciate them and how great their town is. Have fun and just smile your way through it no matter what.

Last thing you need is to stress over it - why not just learn from the experience first time out?

And...Rock on enso!

Contact the venue or the booker and find out what the sound-reinforcement set-up is. That's a normal question. I'm guessing they've probably got everything you need. At the least, take a guitar cable. Depending on the pickup in the guitar, you probably won't need a pre-amp, although the Baggs Para DI is highly regarded and works great. And depending on the room, your material and the quality of the venue's equipment, it might be better to mic the guitar.

Generally speaking, the fewer knobs YOU have to twist, the better.

You're over-thinking things. Keep it simple. Show up, plug in and sing your heart out.

As others have suggested, contact them so there are no surprises. It's part of gigging to be prepared and being prepared is to ask about the sound system in advance or if you need to bring your own sound set up. Or, to let them know in advance you will be using your own, so they don't need to waistedly set theirs up in advance.

Good luck on your first gig on the way to hopefully many more.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

guitar-> Di-> amp -> PA

This is how i run my chain when in a similar situation.

In my case Gibson J-150 with Matrix Infinity pup - Aura Spectrum DI - AER Compact 60 amp - line out to PA. (and I use the amp as a monitor for me)

Both guitar and vocals go into the AER.

Thanks everybody for answers! I followed your advice and decided not to buy an amp. My rig now is J45 -> TU-3 Tuner -> HOF Mini Reverb -> LR Baggs Para DI -> mixer/PA.

I believe everything will be fine!

You didn't follow all the advice if you haven't checked the venue for what equipment they use!

A gadget to look into for later is the Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer - sensational.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ve-8/

BluesKing777.

Archived