Gibson Brands Forums

Steinberger GM4 T?A?

Mark Staples

I bought the guitar in '90 used. The hardware points to a GM4A....the serial #N5039 says it should be an '87....this doesn't add up to me after some investigating for some reason.

Yes, the serial is too early for a GM-4, it's more likely to find such a number on a GM-1 or a GP. It's possible that the previous owner replaced the neck on your guitar, however, I wouldn't completely exclude the possibility that it's original. They never installed the necks strictly in order of the engraved numbers. Finished necks were standing in large boxes for manufacturing, maybe this one has been kept in house for some time and reason… the only way to be sure is to send that serial number to Gibson service. They have the original log files, and they will be able to give you info about the guitar belonging to that serial.

By the way, pics are always helpful :)

Bernd

Yes, the serial is too early for a GM-4, it's more likely to find such a number on a GM-1 or a GP. It's possible that the previous owner replaced the neck on your guitar, however, I wouldn't completely exclude the possibility that it's original. They never installed the necks strictly in order of the engraved numbers. Finished necks were standing in large boxes for manufacturing, maybe this one has been kept in house for some time and reason… the only way to be sure is to send that serial number to Gibson service. They have the original log files, and they will be able to give you info about the guitar belonging to that serial.

By the way, pics are always helpful :)

Bernd

Indeed a possible reneck. The serial# does show in the logbooks as a "neck" only, shipped 11-3-87.

Archived