Gibson Brands Forums

Education needed.........

NHTom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being in the fridge north, the winters might call for some humidification. As long as you keep the guitar cased when you're not playing it a simple case humidifier like the Oasis (I use one of these occasionally in winter) or Planet Waves will work fine. The time spent out of the case is not enough to pull moisture out of the wood. If you're one of those wall hanger types then you should likely invest in a room humidifier and be judicious with your monitoring.

That said, I still wonder how it is that there are so many wonderful examples of instruments from the early 20th century that survived untold conditions without any special handling..... [confused]

Congrats on your new acquisition NHTom. I have been using the D'Addario gel-pack system with my Epi Masterbilt and it's been really good so far.I live in Canada where the cold weather produces dry air when the furnace turns on and I found that the gel-packs were starting to become a bit desiccated after a few weeks so I slipped a Planet Waves humidifier into the guitar sound-hole with the packs and it rejuvenated them to the extent that they're good to go this fall and I won't have to spend more money on replacements. I picked up a small cigar shop hygrometer to monitor things and last winter was problem-free.The RH stayed at or above 45% all winter. Just a couple of weeks ago I,too bought a J-45 and that's what's going into it's case. Good luck with yours!

Being in the fridge north, the winters might call for some humidification. As long as you keep the guitar cased when you're not playing it a simple case humidifier like the Oasis (I use one of these occasionally in winter) or Planet Waves will work fine. The time spent out of the case is not enough to pull moisture out of the wood. If you're one of those wall hanger types then you should likely invest in a room humidifier and be judicious with your monitoring.

That said, I still wonder how it is that there are so many wonderful examples of instruments from the early 20th century that survived untold conditions without any special handling..... [confused]

If anyone knows, I sure hope they share the info😐

I also have been using the Humidipaks, Buy them on reverb or Amazon, you can get them cheap. They are awesome, and I also have a de-humidifier for the summer months and a Humidifier for the winter months.in my small Guitar bunker 9 x 12 feet. I also have a Taylor Hygrometer on the wall.that I keep my eye on.

someone up above made a great point, How many years did people not have the knowlege to care for their guitars with no problems at all. Makes you wonder, but I am poor and when I can scratch together enough coin to drop on a new guitar, It helps me sleep at night to keep the humidity in check. Just keep it between 42- 50. You will be just fine.

beware too much moisture AND, gotta say that I believe the number of acoustics that survived regular use without damage for 40-60 years is a small percentage of total, the few that did are priced accordingly,usually found under rich peoples beds,- lifting bridges, loose braces, seem seps,cracks, warpage are more the norm AND old time players put up with crappy action cause they had to and they wernt spoiled like us my opinion j

beware too much moisture AND, gotta say that I believe the number of acoustics that survived regular use without damage for 40-60 years is a small percentage of total, the few that did are priced accordingly,usually found under rich peoples beds,- lifting bridges, loose braces, seem seps,cracks, warpage are more the norm AND old time players put up with crappy action cause they had to and they wernt spoiled like us my opinion j

No question that the so-called 'collector' grade instruments are most likely well out of general circulation and priced far beyond the reach of most of us when they do show up for sale. Most of the player grade guitars I've owned and/or encountered have shown evidence of repair and adjustments of one kind or another through their years of service. Just another part of the game. Considering how the old timers used strings that were heavy beyond the imagining of most of us these days, they likely regarded winter action as a blessing.

No question that the so-called 'collector' grade instruments are most likely well out of general circulation and priced far beyond the reach of most of us when they do show up for sale. Most of the player grade guitars I've owned and/or encountered have shown evidence of repair and adjustments of one kind or another through their years of service. Just another part of the game. Considering how the old timers used strings that were heavy beyond the imagining of most of us these days, they likely regarded winter action as a blessing.

If folks back in the day had been as technically aware as we seem to be these days, I'm thinking that there would be more guitars in playable condition today than there are.So,if we practice smart maintenance today, our heirs will have a better chance of inheriting playable instruments.And the price of them will be more affordable for the rest of those who weren't lucky enough to be of fortunate parentage.Sorry speculators.

I've had good luck with the Planet Waves humidifiers, just the plain plastic one with a sponge inside. I used to swear by Oasis humidifiers until one fell apart and spread wet crystals all over my Godin. Lucky enough that I decided to do a squeeze test on the one in my Advanced Jumbo and a tiny drip passed through the blue material, that was all I needed to see. For that reason alone I would never recommend Oasis humidifiers.

If folks back in the day had been as technically aware as we seem to be these days, I'm thinking that there would be more guitars in playable condition today than there are.So,if we practice smart maintenance today, our heirs will have a better chance of inheriting playable instruments.And the price of them will be more affordable for the rest of those who weren't lucky enough to be of fortunate parentage.Sorry speculators.

Exactly!

Where do you live tom ?

BBG- As Tom didn't catch your question on his return to the thread; below his avatar it lists "Alton, NH" (New Hampshire)- a beautiful place in the heart of New England, but also can be a very cold place where many people augment their heating with wood stoves, and the like. Humidities can easily drop into the 30's and lower. One can consider humidity levels getting into the mid 30% range as being in the "you have been warned" range = expect a crack.

This primer on the importance of guitar humidification by Taylor is well worth 5 min : Link.

The Caliber IV humidity meter, used by cigar aficionados is a cheap enough way to at least keep on eye on how your humidification levels are doing.

Since I like to maintain a hazard to walking in the main guitar room with cases littering the floor, there are two warm mist style humidifiers going when winter finally settles in (and when temperatures are routinely below freezing). Another warm mist unit also simmering in the next room when outside temps get even more ridiculous.

Also in case... ziplock bag with holes punched in it and a wet sponge every few days.

That's all I do. Once the interior of the case gets well humidified, you don't have to wet the sponges so often. Close the case when you take the guitar out to play.

The most important thing you need to know before you humidify anything is "what is the humidity in your home"

If you live in an area that gets dry once in a while you probably don't need to humidify anything.

Cooking, showering and running the dishwasher will keep your house humidified enough.

If you live in an area where humidity drops below 30% in the winter when heating your home you're

better off humidifying your whole house. Your shin, hair and all wood products not just your guitars

will thank you for it.

But unless you know what your Relative Humidity is you're just guessing and over humidifying is

almost as bad as under humidifying.

I keep my guitars out on stands and wall hangers so I can enjoy them and play them when ever I

want to. If I have a few minute or waiting for the wife to get ready when we're going out I can

grab a guitar and noodle around instead of nagging the her to hurry up.

My wife even decorated them last Christmas with Santa hats and scarves.

Archived