Gibson Brands Forums

1.75" and 1.725" Neck Width

Victory Pete

.025? Twenty-five thousandths of an inch? Does this make the J-45 and the SJ unplayable?

Pete you're too caught up in this little, tiny stuff. Play your guitar and be thankful on Thanksgiving Day that you have the wherewithal to do so.

Hmmm. Guess I'm making an assumption there..............

I have 3 new Gibsons. The Southern Jumbo and J-45 Classic have specs of 1.725" and the Western Classic has a spec of 1.75". They are just the opposite though. The Western Classic has the narrow 1.725" neck and the other 2 has the wider 1.75" neck.

Well, I believe I would notice this difference too. You dont say which you prefer though?

All other things being equal, I would probably prefer the 1.750" necks.

I have 3 new Gibsons. The Southern Jumbo and J-45 Classic have specs of 1.725" and the Western Classic has a spec of 1.75". They are just the opposite though. The Western Classic has the narrow 1.725" neck and the other 2 has the wider 1.75" neck.

I have guitars with both of those nut widths. I also have a couple with a 1 13/16" nut.

.025? Twenty-five thousandths of an inch? Does this make the J-45 and the SJ unplayable?

Pete you're too caught up in this little, tiny stuff. Play your guitar and be thankful on Thanksgiving Day that you have the wherewithal to do so.

Hmmm. Guess I'm making an assumption there..............

Why are you always trying to preach to me? I play my guitars all the time, I appreciate and I am thankful for all of them. As a guitar tech things like specs appeals to me, and when I see a contradiction it gets my attention. Unless you have something beneficial to add to the topic, please don't bother posting, for that I would be very thankful.

Seems like the threads that appear bland going in are the ones that get to be toxic after a few posts. At least lately. Sad when it happens, but we're all kind of edgy right now, at least I am. I'm just trying to remind myself that we're all in this together, and we'll get through it eventually.

Why are you always trying to preach to me? I play my guitars all the time, I appreciate and I am thankful for all of them. As a guitar tech things like specs appeals to me, and when I see a contradiction it gets my attention. Unless you have something beneficial to add to the topic, please don't bother posting, for that I would be very thankful.

I have to agree with you, sounded preachy to me. Buc is a hell of a musician so maybe he can just play anything.

I have a few of both and do not notice the difference. Usually the only killer for me is the much thinner nut width combined with a thin neck. It's all about the girth with me. Almost like playing a ukulele or mandolin but you're not trying to cram that many fingers on them.

Just my opinion - The more variances you expose your hands to, the less the differences will affect you. As someone else mentioned, when I was younger, it had less impact.

Pardon, Pete, as I don't mean to sound preachy, really, but the .025" you're measuring is pretty much like adding the width of a high E string to each side of the neck. Other than sticking a mic on it, this is a difference you feel? Your original post said you measured it, but can you feel it when you go from one guitar to another? And it seems to me that with all the hand work involved in the final shaping of a Gibson neck that +/- .025" is pretty good and is an acceptable variation. Should this measurable variation from "spec" warrant a "2" stamped on the headstock? It seems so insignificant to me but is apparently quite important to you. Makes the world go 'round, I suppose.

I do hope you enjoy playing your guitars as much as you do dissecting them.

I have a few of both and do not notice the difference. Usually the only killer for me is the much thinner nut width combined with a thin neck. It's all about the girth with me. Almost like playing a ukulele or mandolin but you're not trying to cram that many fingers on them.

Just my opinion - The more variances you expose your hands to, the less the differences will affect you. As someone else mentioned, when I was younger, it had less impact.

I'm with Dave!

It is probably good for your finger muscles to have a few different necks and setups [laugh] and so it stands to reason that the more guitars you have, the more flexible.....ha ha ha ha :blink:

Bigger neck and wider nut is better for fingerpicking, skinnies for plectrum styles......but....I was born and raised in Dreadnaughtville where the guitars were ALL 1 11/16" thin necks and anything wider was only whispered about in magazines and high end salon type guitar shops (that still didn't stock anything for fingerstyle except classicals). So I can do it, except the Gary Davis 'extended' C chord needs much more room.

The first guitar for fingerstyle in my town arrived as I was getting strings for my Dobro around 1998 - the Martin 000-28ec (Clapton) with glory be the lizards, 1 3/4" nut and the feared Mod V neck and a massive price at the time after import costs and dollar exchange!

BluesKing777.

Archived