Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Iron Mountain

J-200 Koa

Anyone here have any experience with the Gibson Iron Mountain? It is basically

an Advanced Jumbo (Luthiers Choice) with maple rather than rosewood back and sides.

I love my AJ and am considering the maple-bodied slope shoulder to provide

a contrast to the rosewood.

Is it one of the Iron Mountain models with the Space Invaders fretboard markers? Imhop, hard to improve on the iconic arrow and diamond inlays on an AJ. I, too, have an early Bozeman birdseye aj, as well as rosewood variants; nothing traditional about maple on an Advanced Jumbo, but if you were looking to broaden the range of sounds out of one model of guitar, I think that one would expect the maple AJ would be a sweeter sound than, for example, the Koa AJ that just sold on eBay; although one with highly figured (the 3-D looking Koa that is out there) would be a temptation indeed.

By your forum name, it doesn't seem like where you look for your next guitar is guided as much by what would be considered traditional, as much as by what would provide something interesting (even if for a little while) for your ear to chew on.

Is it one of the Iron Mountain models with the Space Invaders fretboard markers? Imhop, hard to improve on the iconic arrow and diamond inlays on an AJ. I, too, have an early Bozeman birdseye aj, as well as rosewood variants; nothing traditional about maple on an Advanced Jumbo, but if you were looking to broaden the range of sounds out of one model of guitar, I think that one would expect the maple AJ would be a sweeter sound than, for example, the Koa AJ that just sold on eBay; although one with highly figured (the 3-D looking Koa that is out there) would be a temptation indeed.

By your forum name, it doesn't seem like where you look for your next guitar is guided as much by what would be considered traditional, as much as by what would provide something interesting (even if for a little while) for your ear to chew on.

This one is Birdseye Maple with Red Spruce top. What attracts me is the 1.77" nut, ala Luthiers Choice. The traditional

aspect is not of concern, just looking for a tonal variety. Normally, maple is better suited to larger bodies....at least

in my experience.

Archived