Gibson Brands Forums

CW-minimalism

E-minor7

Nice voice, on key, with good finger pick cadence. The presentation is all there. That's what it takes to reduce a song to it's basic components and turn it into a listenable piece. Thanks for sharing. I need that kind of inspiration to move my playing along.

The old-timers used to say that it was easier to be a house carpenter than a barn carpenter. The rationale was that a house carpenter could cover mistakes more easily because of all the extra stuff going on while with a barn carpenter it was all out there and mistakes fairly shouted. I've always believed the same to be true of music, and that minimalism is a worthwhile goal.

1480035269[/url]' post='1814663']

The old-timers used to say that it was easier to be a house carpenter than a barn carpenter. The rationale was that a house carpenter could cover mistakes more easily because of all the extra stuff going on while with a barn carpenter it was all out there and mistakes fairly shouted. I've always believed the same to be true of music, and that minimalism is a worthwhile goal.

What a great analogy and train of thought...

One of the first songs I learned to play is Elton John's 'Love Song' from the great 'Tumbleweed Connection' album. It's the perfect marriage of simplicity and construct, as far as songwriting goes. The A7 (Adom7) fingering to whatever G chord is formed by moving the middle finger to the E string 2nd fret, then moving your index finger to 2nd fret on the 5th string is one great example of minimalist finger movement yielding maximum emotion and song expression. This guy isn't using the key I'm in, but you get the idea here.

Can this bear a thread of its own - not really sure. Still it hits a strange soft spot here.

A thread of it's own, and a thread that could merge with EA's "Fun challenge for the singers" thread, challenging those who post covers to push out from their normal genre of song. This same thread could also combine with a thread that was on the lounge a couple of weeks ago "Remakes of covers that you like better than the original". (my entry was a ukefest cover a MGMT song by

). This topic could bear a thread of it's own, and soon will. . . The bigger they come . . .

Very nice!

It may have been a different turnout for Manson and family if that was the Helter Skelter that egged them on......

BluesKing777.

I like the way you think. Or perhaps "Give Peace A Chance" would've been another way they could've gone with it.

I'm a big fan of minimalism. I often find that the more stuff added on to a piece of music takes away from the emotional impact. I think this song is a great example of less is more.

When I do songs myself, covers or my own, the less part comes out of necessity. I can do very little with my guitar, and even less with my voice [biggrin]

Lars

Sometimes its hard to beat a simple rhythm, a nice melody and a sweet voice .... she has all that and also is quite a looker, gotta love that blonde pig tail.

I think this thread is sort of a mix of the other two threads, 'do you cover songs like the original' and the one i started ' covering songs out of your normal genre' - its all good

As i wrote in my thread, i love seeing diversity here, i think it needs it, Im fully behind such threads.

Didn't know what to expect when I clicked on that one, but I really, really liked it. That's one of the few Beatles songs I really don't care for in the original version. This one, however, is pretty special, as simple as it is.

Same here...not a song I "get," but this is as close as I've come .

If that was an ugly guy playing, I think I would boo him if he didn't play at least some version of the famous Helter Skelter riffs! [cool]

As the theme of this originally frantic tune obviously is the exercises of the silk sheets, it would be another game - or the same as McCartneys.

The finesse here is that she's tends to take the torch and thereby in her own way is in charge.

As the theme of this originally frantic tune obviously is the exercises of the silk sheets, it would be another game - or the same as McCartneys.

The finesse here is that she's tends to take the torch and thereby in her own way is in charge.

😯😮😒😁

Archived