Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on guild d25m 70's

blindboygrunt

I've owned two over the years. Big and boxy with a tone that didn't have the depth and woody character of a J45, though they were nice in the 'Guild' sound range. I would say comparable to Goya and Takamine to my recollection. I swapped out for Gibsons and Martins.

No experience with the mahogany Guild; just pointing out an occasion, one of the things Sal was mentioning on the Thanksgiving thread: 'just appreciate being introduced to some good music by someone on the forum.

Thanks Rough Diamond.

You may now resume your mahogany GAS.

The model you mention actually exists in three 1970's incarnations. Two are more common: the archback mahogany b/s with very dark-stained spruce top, and the all-hog flat-back version with conventional back struts & hog top. There's also a D-25c which doesn't show up as often identical to the archback D-25m, but with more of a dark cherry stain. I owned a hog top model briefly and would agree with the earlier post that it leaves a lot to be desired. Either spruce model with the arched back is far better-sounding, as far as I'm concerned - fine volume, strong (but not boomy) bass response, clear trebles with a moderate ring. I've played several, and found them to be on a par with my Guild D-35.

I had a chat with Ryan Adams years ago about his D25M, he said it was his favourite guitar but got smashed to bits in a plane hold, he had it rebuilt but it was never quite the same. I remember him saying "when it was good, songs just fell out of it".

I've always liked them. Big and woody sounding, especially with old strings.

For years the only acoustics I owned were my dad's D28 and my 76 d25M and while the D28 was in a class of its own, the Guild had a warmth that made it a joy to play. The low end practically curled when struck. The biggest mistake I ever made was deciding to sell it rather than get its neck reset. I went out and bought a 2008 Gibson Hummingbird that didn't come close in terms of tone or comfort. That led me into a goose chase that I've finally sorta ended. I just need to sell a bunch of guitars to get it where it makes sense to me. I can't play 11 acoustic guitars.

And yes to how beautifully it played with OLD strings on it. Never needed to change them to bring it alive.

I still toy with the idea of getting another '70s model, but no more internet deals for me. I either buy the guitar that feels right in the store or nothing.

Can you extrapolate on that cowboy ?

Good thing or bad thing ?

I've seen maybe one other hog top/arch back D-25, but don't recall from which part of the 1970's it hailed. The idea of the D-25 was originally to use spruce tops that didn't measure up to Guild's usual cosmetic standards by staining them to a dark mahogany or cherry shade. Same notion by which Gibson used to separate J-45 and J-50 tops. Later, the hog top D-25 emerged, interspersed with the occasional maple. Nothing wrong with either variety, but the hog sound and the spruce sound can be subtly different (consider the difference with vintage Martin 15 series guitars and 18 series guitars when both used standard bracing). This isn't a bad thing, necessarily, depending on what sound potential you prefer. The white logo, to my knowledge, wasn't used on D-25 models in the 1970's. My '78 D-35 has one in MOP, but that's part of the custom inlay I had done a year or so after purchase. So the D-25 pictured could be wearing either anomaly or aftermarket headstock inlay. I can't imagine that either would be at all negative. On a whim, I'm going to check for Guild serial number info and such and will report back with whatever I can or can't find. Hope this helps!

Thanks cowboy

You're a gent

I'm not looking for a bluegrass guitar so the 'idea' of what a hog top should do is what's drawing me toward it

Plus , it's 'almost' as old as me

VERY cool! In your position, I'd be inclined to go for it👍 Was unable to locate any further information that would apply. Be sure to keep updates coming😐

VERY cool! In your position, I'd be inclined to go for it👍 Was unable to locate any further information that would apply. Be sure to keep updates coming😐

Thanks

I'm curious/worried about the decal not being right though

Last thing I need is to fork out money on something like that that's not correct

Thanks

I'm curious/worried about the decal not being right though

Last thing I need is to fork out money on something like that that's not correct

When I looked for info a few minutes back, one thing I DID find stated that minor anomalies of that sort aren't uncommon within that time frame. My guess is that the logo isn't wrong, just not typical.

Serial number says 1978

Then, I wouldn't worry. It was produced at about the same time as my D-35 and that's the only guitar I ever bought new that I esteemed highly enough to keep. People who are playing newer Guilds have told me that they wish theirs sounded like mine - I always advise 'em to keep playing theirs for nearly 40 years and they won't be disappointed😁

I have owned several older Guilds. As for the mahoganay top D25, I had a '72 (solid mahogany top b&s) and a '73 (hog top ply back and sides). I think they only did the hog ply model for a couple years but they are awesome. They made some D25M with spruce top, as well as D25C (cherry), D25B (brown,I guess).

The gumtree one looks to be late 70s from what I see, and spruce top and ply back and sides. These late 70s are not very impressive to my ears or hard to find. If you can find a 72 or 3 I would jump on it. I still see my 73er every couple years and offer to buy it back. The only reason I passed it was not wanting to do the repairs it needed.

Sorry if this is a rambling mess.

I have owned several older Guilds. As for the mahoganay top D25, I had a '72 (solid mahogany top b&s) and a '73 (hog top ply back and sides). I think they only did the hog ply model for a couple years but they are awesome. They made some D25M with spruce top, as well as D25C (cherry), D25B (brown,I guess).

The gumtree one looks to be late 70s from what I see, and spruce top and ply back and sides. These late 70s are not very impressive to my ears or hard to find. If you can find a 72 or 3 I would jump on it. I still see my 73er every couple years and offer to buy it back. The only reason I passed it was not wanting to do the repairs it needed.

Sorry if this is a rambling mess.

Hell, I feel like I'm ALWAYS a rambling mess. The D-25b is one I've not encountered or heard of previously. Something to watch for, now that I know there's such a thing out there. I'll try to give you a heads-up if I fall across an early 70's that might work for you. Personally, I tend to prefer mid-late 70's, and none of the hog tops lend themselves to what I do - though if they fit your needs, you can't do much better. And I agree that the hog tops with ply are better than the all-solid mahogany: it's gotta be that arched back!