Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on guild d25m 70's

blindboygrunt

I have owned several older Guilds. As for the mahoganay top D25, I had a '72 (solid mahogany top b&s) and a '73 (hog top ply back and sides). I think they only did the hog ply model for a couple years but they are awesome. They made some D25M with spruce top, as well as D25C (cherry), D25B (brown,I guess).

The gumtree one looks to be late 70s from what I see, and spruce top and ply back and sides. These late 70s are not very impressive to my ears or hard to find. If you can find a 72 or 3 I would jump on it. I still see my 73er every couple years and offer to buy it back. The only reason I passed it was not wanting to do the repairs it needed.

Sorry if this is a rambling mess.

No worries , appreciate the ramblings

I too thought it was a 1979 but the seller says it's not a 17 at the start of the serial number , though it sure looks like it to me . He says its two 1's

A '11' at start of number puts it 1975

It has the hump on the back which I'm thinking makes it laminate back with solid sides and top.

Anyone make anything of the action ? Can be seen ,barely in one of the pics , seller says it has been set up and inspected by a luthier who is highly regarded in these parts.

I'm trying to shift a guitar and don't want to go visit a guy when I've no money in my pocket and waste his time

Any ammo I get before I get there is valuable

Thanks fellas

I worked in a guitar store in the mid 70s and we sold a lot of Guild. The D-25 that was current then was hog top, arched back and gold logo like the one shown. One of the top values in the store at $219. I thought they were great and was only deterred by the dark cherry finish, which I didn't care for.

An *almost* affordable birth-year guitar which might not be an absolute dog (though it be an absolute 'hog). Glad it's your side of the Sea (and that I really haven't got the readies). Not easy to imagine a nice birth-year guitar when you're born in 1975. You still have a real shot with Martins for your year, Gruntfuttle.

I've sat across from a finger picked '70's era D-25, all mahogany Guild, just about two Friday nights out of every month for over a decade now and it has just about the sweetest tone one can imagine. It's not a loud guitar but it just sounds fantastic. Tonight I'm going to have to look and see if it has an arched back or flat but I think it's just a standard flat backed model and it doesn't have a dark cherry finish. I think Guilds are real sleeper instruments.

In 1975, the bar on the decal, at the base of the Guild logo, was not attached to the letters. It was separate & slightly under the letters (note that the line on inlaid logos from this period was attached, but the D-25 had a decal logo). Also, the tuners are not period correct as standard issue for the '75 version of this model.

In the '70s, Guilds were very well made, and represented one of the best values in the market, which is why I chose to purchase four of them within that decade. I currently have five Westerly instruments, three from the '70s and two from the '90s. Three have arched maple backs, one is solid rosewood, and one is solid mahogany. Arched-back or solid-back, Guilds are well worth a serious look.

In 1975, the bar on the decal, at the base of the Guild logo, was not attached to the letters. It was separate & slightly under the letters (note that the line on inlaid logos from this period was attached, but the D-25 had a decal logo). Also, the tuners are not period correct as standard issue for the '75 version of this model.

In the '70s, Guilds were very well made, and represented one of the best values in the market, which is why I chose to purchase four of them within that decade. I currently have five Westerly instruments, three from the '70s and two from the '90s. Three have arched maple backs, one is solid rosewood, and one is solid mahogany. Arched-back or solid-back, Guilds are well worth a serious look.

👍

I have an all hog flatback D25 from 1972, as mentioned, D25s change a bit over their history as follows:

Late 60s - 1973 = All Hog Flatback

1973/1974 = Transition era with any combination of Hog Top/Stained Spruce Top with Flatback/Archback

1975 onwards = Stained Spruce Top with arched back

I prefer the original all mahogany model, its also the quintessential D25 which is the one reissued.

Its one of a handful of steals on the vintage market, and has a nice bark and bite IMO.

Here's a 1972 Guild D25 all-hog Flatback in action:

Hello to the group. I'm throwing in another example of a D-25M, one I purchased recently at auction. A spruce top example from 1975. Had to tinker with the action a bit to solve a slight fret buzz above the neck joint, but it plays nicely now stem to stern. As noted previously, not particularly loud but the tone is good. Personally I prefer the 12 string Guilds from this period, but the 6 string models are of good quality and definitely under-priced.

post-78866-076225800 1480718393_thumb.jpg

Hello to the group. I'm throwing in another example of a D-25M, one I purchased recently at auction. A spruce top example from 1975. Had to tinker with the action a bit to solve a slight fret buzz above the neck joint, but it plays nicely now stem to stern. As noted previously, not particularly loud but the tone is good. Personally I prefer the 12 string Guilds from this period, but the 6 string models are of good quality and definitely under-priced.

• 3 years later...

I got a 1979 D-25M with the arched back and spruce top, a lot of play wear but a steal at $400. It sounds great, I honestly prefer playing it over my Taylor, although the Taylor has much better playability. The bridge is starting to lift but the neck is sound thank god and the chunky profile of the neck does take a little time to get used to. Overall great full sound the low end sound is amazing, super full and the low end is a nice strong but not overly bright combination great for open chords. Picking is great and the guitar sounds great with blue and country. Personally I’d recommend  using bronze strings to really bring out the warmth in the tone.

• 1 year later...

I had a '77 D25M that I "lost" somewhere in my 60 yrs of life.  It was always my favorite guitar and one I've aspired to recreate with the purchase of other good guitars, that I've sold.  Most recently was a 70's j-45.  Ironically, the closest I've come to feel is an Epiphone spruce top.  Until yesterday...

I had the opportunity to come across a distressed finish (but good wood) 78 d25M mahogany archback.  Even in its unkempt condition (or should I say, so well played the finish has worn off the neck and the human touched areas.  I found it at an an estate auction in update NY and drove 9 hours to pick it up yesterday.

I'm going to clean it up as is before deciding whether to retouch the finish.  But the sound... the sound us surely there.  Now I have to find a replacement pickguard

On 4/2/2021 at 8:38 AM, DrColg8 said:

I'm going to clean it up as is before deciding whether to retouch the finish.  But the sound... the sound us surely there.  Now I have to find a replacement pickguard

Guilds were my guitar of choice in the ‘70s, and I currently own three of them from that era (‘73 F-30R, ‘74 F-40, & ‘76 G-37), along with three other Westerly-made Guilds.  Often built like a tank in areas like the neck & end block - but not the tops, which remained thin and resonant.  There’s a bunch of good ones out there, and they often can sound somewhat like a piano trying to navigate it’s way through the soundhole of a guitar.

Cordoba now owns the Guild brand & their Guild website sells a pickguard that comes pretty close to the actual ‘70s version.  There also are a number of folks out there who specialize in pickguards, such as Terrapin Guitars.

Have lots of fun with your new-to-you Guild!