Gibson Brands Forums

Confusion over Memphis ES SNs

Evilive1999

Hello guitar lovers! Forum noob here. Thanks for allowing me onboard. And happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Picked up an ES 355. I plugged in the SN to a couple sources just out of habit and information returned says guitar was from Nashville. Its an ES 355. I believed that the ES line was a Memphis created guitar.

Excellent guitar by the way. I love the neck profile & fret wire. Similar to the way frets were back on some older guitars. not exactly low wide frets, but they are small and comfortable.

thanks in advance for your consideration.

There is not a question in your post, so I'll assume you're looking to verify the birthplace of your guitar.

First, what is the serial number?

Second, what does the paper label in the guitar say, "Gibson Memphis", or "Gibson Nashville"?

Third, photos usually help, and are always fun and interesting.

Hi L5. thanks for your quick response man.

SN is10046729

Orange label just says Gibson Guarantee and Model and SN. COA claims Memphis.

Will post some good pics & sound recordings when I get the right block of time! The guitar loves a Deluxe Reverb.

There is not a question in your post, so I'll assume you're looking to verify the birthplace of your guitar.

First, what is the serial number?

Second, what does the paper label in the guitar say, "Gibson Memphis", or "Gibson Nashville"?

Third, photos usually help, and are always fun and interesting.

The serial number is in the format of a standard production model, built in 2016. All production model ES-3XX guitars are built in Memphis, and have been for 10 or 15 years. There was a time when "Historic Series" and "Limited Edition" 3XX's were built in the Nashville Custom Shop, and standard production models were built in Memphis. To the best of my knowledge, ALL 3XX's are now built in Memphis.

Archived