Gibson Brands Forums

2016 1938 SJ-200

Victory Pete

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suspense is building. Hopefully, you're liking what you're seeing/hearing so far in the quality control department . . .

What's the verdict?

Guitar looks and sounds good. this is my first Adirondack guitar and along with the hide glue top I like what I hear. It still had the original light strings on it, I prefer mediums for a fuller sound. No pictures yet, I have been preoccupied with 2 issues. Where the back braces meet the kerfing there are some ugly gaps, not the best job I have seen. I am going to fill with tinted wood filler. The other issue is the blue colored dot on the pickguard that is right where I strum, is sticking up a bit, I feel it as I play, very annoying. I have been in contact with Gibson Acoustic and hopefully these issues will be resolved. Again, I find the quality control at Gibson to be poor. Of the 5 Gibsons I have purchased in the last 6 months, only one, my Southern Jumbo had no issues. I am also waiting for an unbleached bone saddle and bone bridge pins to come today from StewMac. I hope to get it all together today with new strings.

Spent today setting up the new 1938 SJ-200 with an unbleached bone saddle, bone bridge pins and new medium strings. I am curious to see how these 2 beauties compare. Adirondack Spruce top with hide glue braces. So far this guitar has a very strong and clear tone.

WP_20170112_002.jpg

WP_20170112_004.jpg

Wow.. that looks nice... they both do... congrats..

I have had the Western Classic for 4 months now, I love its sunburst. The SJ-200 has a bit more red in its Triburst finish, the Western Classic is Triburst also but I guess they vary their pattern. The red is more pronounced in photos for some reason, I am glad it is actually more subtle looking in person.

Archived