Gibson Brands Forums

No serial stamped on headstock on ES335 Memphis 2016

Doodah

IMG_20161127_121158.jpg

I've just bought an ES-335 Memphis 2016 but it doesn't have a serial stamped on the headstock. It has a 'Made in USA, 2016 stamp but no serial. The serial number is hand written and visible through one of the F-hole's. I bought the guitar from a reputable dealer so I'm not doubting it's authentic but I thought the serial would be stamped on it. Does anyone else have the same guitar?

A bit odd. But . . . If this is a reissue 335 the serials are different from the regular recognized formulas. And sometimes the serial display method is the same as it was in the original year - if the serial was originally on the label and not the headstock then that's how it's done. What's the serial?

... And sometimes the serial display method is the same as it was in the original year - if the serial was originally on the label and not the headstock then that's how it's done.

Yes, but...... If that's the case, the "Made In USA" shouldn't be there either.

The mystery here is why one and not the other on the headstock.

Thanks for the replies. You are right, I can see last two digits of the serial number but i can't make out the other numbers. Why would they make the serial so hard to see? I contacted the shop about it and they replied with:

"We only buy from Gibson and after a chat with our guitar expert here he has told me that some of the Gibson Memphis range will only have a serial number in the top sound hole on an orange sticker."

The serial number on the back of the headstock on my new 2016 ES-335 is also illegible - I can barely make out the last digit. I have been trying to figure out the serial number coding system; my serial number is 11586735. Does anyone know if the 6th digit (7) refers to the Memphis plant?

Would I be correct in assuming that the s/n translates into the 35th instrument made on June 7, 2016 at the Memphis plant?

Yes. But, Memphis is still using the standard serial formula - YDDDYRRR where RRR is the production rank and the range of the number indicates where the guitar was made. Currently I think (not positive on this) both Memphis and Bozeman use 8 digit serials - Bozeman are ranked from 001-299 and Memphis guitars were ranked from 300-999. If true, 735 would indicate the 435th guitar from Memphis that day.

Since 1989, acoustic guitars built at Bozeman are ranked from 001-299. During 1989 and the following years that Nashville and Bozeman used the same serial formula, Nashville guitars were ranked from 300-999. In 2000 the Memphis plant opened and shared the rank range 300-999 with Nashville. In July 2005 Nashville went to 9 digit serials, but Memphis and Bozeman kept the same arrangement with the 8 digit serials. Some Memphis regular production models started using the ME serial system in late 2012 - ME YRRRRR. Prior to 1984, the numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989.

Thanks for the enlightened response. Could the Gibson s/n system be more confusing? Understandable, I guess, for a large company with such a long history of production. I'm new to Gibson and to this forum so it's good to have such dedicated folks sharing their knowledge on this forum.

• 4 years later...

Hello, Kind Experts,

I have what I hope to be a 1972 ES-335 TD (this one has that added 2-way toggle switch on the lower horn of the upper bout, the purpose of which is another question I'd love some clarity on) but there is no serial number engraved on the back of the headstock. There's a thin metal strip/plate that's adhered in some way where the serial number should be - almost as though it was put on to cover it. "Made in USA" is engraved below the plate but it's quite faint.

Is the serial number on a Gibson ES-335 to be found anywhere else on the guitar?  There's a sticker visible in the upper F-hole on the lower bout but it just has the model name, Gibson Inc., Kalamazoo, MI, Union Made - no serial #.

Any thoughts?

ES-335 Headstock.jpg

ES-335 Sticker.jpg

Edited by RiFi

On 6/1/2021 at 6:56 AM, SteveFord said:

That's a coil tap switch and 10 bucks says somebody outside of Gibson stuck that metal strip on there.

Thanks, Steve! Just to follow up - what exactly does the coil tap switch do/how does it differ from a coil splitter?  And any thoughts as to why someone would choose to hide the serial number with a metal strip? Is it fair to assume that the serial number is under the strip?

It probably is the same thing as a coil splitter.  I had one of them and it make the sound go from full throated to gutless when you flip the switch.  Picture a VariTone going from 6 to 2 and that's about what it does to the sound.

The serial number should be under the strip and probably the same reason a hat I bought had the owner's embrossed initials cut out of a 1950s Stetson Flagship's sweat band with a razor blade.  Oh no, that's not your hat...