Gibson Brands Forums

Iconic acoustic guitars

Desolationrow

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems we more or less were able to draw a circle and put a handful of icons inside it.

There might be between 8 and 10, but consensus shows a Top-4 :

Gibson Slope

Gibson Square

Gibson Super Jumbo

Martin Dreadnought

, , , , in random order and some might still disagree.

Another side-Q would be if the quintessential acoustic guitar is burst or natural.

Perhaps natural, , , and burst for the electrics.

As we know there might be an interesting difference between guitar-people and watching/listening laymen.

And laymen to a certain degree are always worth checking for their intuitive indirect angle.

Fx it recently surprised me how limited H-bird consciousness 2 of my not-playing friends - who are both incarnated beatheads - was able to present.

They left later that night with that detail fixed msp_cool.gif

As we know there might be an interesting difference between guitar-people and watching/listening laymen.

And laymen to a certain degree are always worth checking for their intuitive indirect angle.

Fx it recently surprised me how limited H-bird consciousness 2 of my not-playing friends - who are both incarnated beatheads - was able to present.

I'll bet you set them straight with an evening of 'birdsong.

Thanks for all the replies! lot of fun in your threads!! Eminor, you said that iconic guitars might be between 8 and 10,what are the others??

for me would be:

Gibson slope, square,jumbo,L small body, martin dread,martin all mahogany top,jumbo 12 string.

i know this is a acoustic forum,but only for fun in electrics my "iconic"top would be: Fender solid body,Gibson hollow body,Rickenbacker semi hollow.

Seems we more or less were able to draw a circle and put a handful of icons inside it.

There might be between 8 and 10, but consensus shows a Top-4 :

Gibson Slope

Gibson Square

Gibson Super Jumbo

Martin Dreadnought

, , , , in random order and some might still disagree.

Another side-Q would be if the quintessential acoustic guitar is burst or natural.

Perhaps natural, , , and burst for the electrics.

Thanks for all the replies! lot of fun in your threads!! Eminor, you said that iconic guitars might be between 8 and 10,what are the others??

Won't be too specific, but if you split the Top-4 in different models, 45's, 50's, SJ's, 28's,18's, bird'n'jumbo-species and add a few of the others mentioned on these pages - including the National - we have them.

But now you ask, I think 'my' 00-28 must be be withdrawn. Might be an icon to me, , , not in general.

Yet I personally hold the Ovation in. And yes, good fun to make minds meet on this topic.

But now you ask, I think 'my' 00-28 must be be withdrawn. Might be an icon to me, , , not in general.

Yet I personally hold the Ovation in. And yes, good fun to make minds meet on this topic.

Perhaps it's just my Josh White fetish, Em7, but wouldn't the 21 series be the iconic 00 Martin? It's Dylan's Blood on the Tracks guitar too. And I'm not playing the iconic player = iconic guitar card here. It's just that if a certain guitar appears in enough famous hands and on enough famous tracks, then it's more likely to be iconic, non?

For Ovation, I think it would have to be the Balladeer, though, and not the (more desirable to me) Josh White/Folklore model.

Perhaps it's just my Josh White fetish, Em7, but wouldn't the 21 series be the iconic 00 Martin? It's Dylan's Blood on the Tracks guitar too. And I'm not playing the iconic player = iconic guitar card here. It's just that if a certain guitar appears in enough famous hands and on enough famous tracks, then it's more likely to be iconic, non?

For Ovation, I think it would have to be the Balladeer, though, and not the (more desirable to me) Josh White/Folklore model.

Won't tale the veil of that box, Mojo - then up spring the S. Stills and J. Baez Mart. 00-45 among many others.

Regarding Ovation, let's keep the Balladeer in.

The most Iconic guitar of all time has to be Presley's D28 with the leather cover.

The picture of him with it used on his first album is the image of Rock and Roll and the birth of popular music as we know it. Doe's anyone know where it is now?

Wish I could say it's under my bed, but no. How about Buddy Holly's leather J-45, which is also not under my bed😥

Archived