Gibson Brands Forums

What about a Challenge for the Guitarists?

BluesKing777

In the spirit of EA's challenge thread, what about veering off to a definite guitar part instead of 'everyone' picks their own?

So the challenge thrown down is for all of the guitarists, new and old, good and bad, sweet and ugly,to submit an acoustic version of the introduction to the most played song in the guitar shops, we are told - the introduction to "Stairway To Heaven" (Led Zep)!

If you can do the whole tune, go for it, but just the intro if you can't get through the tough song.

I have already done mine, but I shall lurk for a bit.... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

I can only imagine what yours is. . . And I mean that in a good way.

Good idea. I got nothin. But good idea.

Got nothin'...... [laugh]

Well, the idea is to make somethin' [woot]

Learn the bits if you don't know it, way easier than you think, plonk it down on tape/phone/gadget and give us a listen. Doesn't have to be a work of art!

I picked that intro part because everyone is suppose to play it and annoy the guitar shops, so I assume most would have their interpretation.

We won't laugh much, just forward them to Jimmy. Their 90's duo version was nice but abbreviated and fairly....erm....wrong! [laugh]

So let's have some!

BluesKing777.

I couldn't even imagine entering into this realm.

Haha, yeah, although it may be the "most played song in the guitar shops," it's not one I know! It'd take me months to learn how to play that, poorly. rolleyes.gif I'm still working on Donovan's early years. eusa_doh.gif

Being old and acoustic, I don't know it. To play it I would have to learn it -- ie internalize the melody.

To me what might be more fun is to take something incredibly simple and well known -- Christmas carol, You are my sunshine, Mary had a little lamb, ....etc. -- and turn it every way but loose. That might be fun and you might get wider participation. It might be cool to see how that would worked in ragtime, open finger melodic styles, flatpicked, on a banjo, etc. etc.

Just a thought,

-Tom

For anyone whose heart is in it, it might well be rewarding. Sorry, but I lack the inclination - too many people into it already? Heard too many butchered attempts? Too old to generate enthusiasm? Have the same disaffinity for "Smoke on the Water" and operatic soprano ladies.

For anyone whose heart is in it, it might well be rewarding. Sorry, but I lack the inclination - too many people into it already? Heard too many butchered attempts? Too old to generate enthusiasm? Have the same disaffinity for "Smoke on the Water" and operatic soprano ladies.

We always do Smoke On The Water, can't get out of places without doing it. Of course, we do it correctly and our rep precedes us. We don't do Stairway so much anymore, but when we did in the late 90's - early 2000s, we did that correctly as well. Both are nuggets of bar band goodness, and done well they really make people happy. I enjoy doing that, and I enjoy snot nose punkass guitar players asking me how I did that.

I did some off-off-off Broadway review type stuff with some semi-operatic definitely soprano ladies. It was fun!

rct

We always do Smoke On The Water, can't get out of places without doing it. Of course, we do it correctly and our rep precedes us. We don't do Stairway so much anymore, but when we did in the late 90's - early 2000s, we did that correctly as well. Both are nuggets of bar band goodness, and done well they really make people happy. I enjoy doing that, and I enjoy snot nose punkass guitar players asking me how I did that.

I did some off-off-off Broadway review type stuff with some semi-operatic definitely soprano ladies. It was fun!

rct

It's all good😌

Taking a long while to post a version!

Probably need a few more hours/weeks/years to learn it before recording it and posting it, so I will give it a bit more patience, but it is looking like a washout. [mellow]

If you can't that little riff, well you should probably go back to concentrating on accounting studies.

BluesKing777.

Oh I can play it too BK, but I'm afraid that I'll get sued by Spirit, because I play it so badly. And in any case, I've not worked out how to fit my recorder into a harmonica harness, so I couldn't really get the arrangement I want either.

Well, I'm still not hearing any! :rolleyes:

I put the same question up on the AGF and so far....zip and possibly some anger. [thumbdn]

And here I am thinking I was going to get shredded with my version being too quick, too slow, too wrong and all those comments, but so far it appears JustinGuitar and I are the only ones who have had a go at it on acoustic...

So the Guitar Player magazine must have made up the story about everyone playing that intro when trying out guitars in shops.

I am forbidden to go to the guitar shop, well, the ones with the nice guitars, but I may sneak off later and try out a few of their latest wares with my version of the intro! [rolleyes] Put it to some use, all that work learning it. I'll play it over and over on each guitar just to see if they get annoyed, then plug in!

I have recorded the whole tune acoustically too. Playing my OM Authentic, I forgot to play it calm on the louder last bit and o'd the recording levels - the Authentic goes into sonic boom territory if you lay into it! Huge dynamic range, huge - scares the small animals and kiddies. Also got the vocal placement wrong in a couple of spots even though mentally I know it pretty well - recording light was on and.....

BluesKing777.

Ok. I'm up for the challenge. No throwing things! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yAramqlAc

Hooray!

Just when I had given up on it, Doug rides in with a nice version on the J200!

They went ballistic on the AGF, but I don't think anyone has played a note yet, and now the mods have moved the thread to neverland.

BluesKing777.

Ok. I'm up for the challenge. No throwing things! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yAramqlAc

Nice, Doug! If I had a guitar store, you could play that anytime you wanted. That's actually a natural fit for the J-200. Saw Nancy Wilson play it on a Martin Dread a few years ago, but it really works on a J-200, particularly when you get to the next part.

Archived