Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JamieD

Silly question, but my Martin smells too woody

Hi everyone, new here. I bought a Martin D-16RGT about 8 months ago with rosewood sides and back. I kind of overstepped my bounds as a beginner buying a guitar like that because all I do now is strum chords which I generally reach for my $100 Epiphone for. Because of that, my Martin sits mostly in the case. When I do play it though, the smell of the rosewood is so strong. I am sure that is probably a desirable quality to some, but I can be sensitive to scents and after a while it can actually give me a headache.

So I was wondering, what is the best way to air it out? I assume just leave it out of the case, but it is winter now and the heater is going on and off and I am worried about any effects on the wood. I live in CA so the temp swings aren't too bad, but this is certainly the nicest guitar I will own for a while so I want to make sure it is well taken care of.

Also, can anyone advise what the approx trade value of this guitar would be? It is in like new condition with the ohsc. Just thinking maybe a Gibson would suit me better since I have mostly learned and practice on my Epiphone.

http://bestringtones.mobi/,

http://bestringtones.mobi/zedge-ringtones/,

http://bestringtones.mobi/popular-ringtone/

Me too have the same problem with my HD-28V and I live in Los Angeles.I am sure the odors came from the case itself not the guitar.Find a large plastic bag and put your guitar in there and place it in the closet,open the case and leave it for about a week and the rosewood odor should be 80% gone (not completely).

Hi.. you dont want to air it out.. if anything.. thats the fresh wood inside smelling that way.. Humidity inside.. you will find that with all solid wood guitars.. it should remain at about 45 % .. if not playing store back in the case..

Thats a Great guitar.. the scent will go away in time.. so will the clear smell..

Just the way I would look at it, doesn't mean I'm right -

$2299 List

$1340 usual purchase price (40% off list)

$1149 what store pays Martin

$750 trade in value

$1000 if you can sell yourself. Warranty is not transferable.

Good luck

Just the way I would look at it, doesn't mean I'm right -

$2299 List

$1340 usual purchase price (40% off list)

$1149 what store pays Martin

$750 trade in value

$1000 if you can sell yourself. Warranty is not transferable.

Good luck

Sounds about right.

Hey, welcome to the forum. I answered your request for information on the same thread on AGF.

But I am rooting for ya, I hope we can make it five pages of response here! Let me help get it there...

Trump. Clinton. Recount. LGBT. BLM. Cuba. ISIS. Clown Impersonation.

Tag!

Simple...install a hanger away from heat source on an inside wall and it'll air out. You'll play it more often if it's out of the case. You can leave the case slightly open to air out too.

Strange this.. cuz I live for a good wiff of woodiness from my acoustics....

My wife thinks it's the strangest thing too.. sees me stick my nose in the sound hole and breath deep!

"What are you doing???"

"Honey, you gotta smell this thing, it's awesome"

"what ever, you're weird, you know that right"

I can't help it.. it's the guitar geek in me... different strokes... right?

im sure these smells are NOT just the wood,- new kinds of off gassing finish, wierd case foam, glues, they didnt allways smell like the new ones seem too j

Keep your room well humidified and you can leave the guitar out on a stand. My 1965 J-50 has been sitting out for the past year and only goes in the case when I'm transporting it. A $10 temperature/humidity gauge from Lowes and a little vaporizer/humidifier from CVS are all you need.

Aside from that, as the others have already said, you will take a beating on the price if you sell. But go ahead if you must. Then, however, why not just stick with the Epiphone and learn a little more before you go out and waste more money on something else you will later regret.? ;)

Keep your room well humidified and you can leave the guitar out on a stand. A $10 temperature/humidity gauge from Lowes and a little vaporizer/humidifier from CVS are all you need.

Aside from that, as the others have already said, you will take a beating on the price if you sell. But go ahead if you must. Then, however, why not just stick with the Epiphone and learn a little more before you go out and waste more money on something else you will later regret.? ;)

This right here is the best advice, the only thing I can add is leave the case open. New guitars come with new cases and the case most likely smells more than the guitar. Leaving the guitar in the case just makes matters

worse.

Also there is nothing wrong with a beginner having a nice guitar, play it and enjoy it. It won't be your last one.

Let it (and the case) air out but keep an eye on humidity. And if you place it on a stand, make sure it is one whose points of contact with the instrument are made of a material that doesn't affect the guitar's finish. Left on a stand for hours and days at a time, though, almost any material will soften or craze a nitro finish. Trust me on this.

I'll also say that most of the times I've experienced a smell issue, the culprit has been the case.

And PLAY THE DAMNED THING! Don't worry that it is "above" your talents. You'll grow into it, and you'll be growing into a pretty decent guitar. Count your blessings that you've got a nice guitar and play.

My 2001 Martin Rosewood Custom has the strongest smell of wood when compared to all my other guitars. Very pleasant smell, imho. It was that way on day one when purchased new, and it remains the same today.

Selling yours might be the best bet.