Gibson Brands Forums

1956 Gibson J200 with Tune O Matic???

ellis

Thanks for taking the time to offer the details of your J200. Crazy to see the next guitar on the line from mine 60 years later! The ToM bridge was commercially available in 61, so your design is consistent and accurate to the reference period it went back to the factory for work. What is interesting, is the bracing for yours....and where the plug is. This is very different from mine, as the bracing in mine appears not to have the cross brace. I suspect this was added to yours during the 61 work to strengthen the new bridge. I agree that converting to a regular saddle makes sense... and will likely improve tonal quality overall. From a value standpoint, the ToM guitars are less desirable anyway.

My guitar is 100% original and looks like it was kept in a closet for 50 years. Even the case is near perfect. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, as it simply appeared to be too clean for its age. Surprisingly, it sounds amazing. A little tight with the maple, but overall, quite beautiful resonance despite the ToM bridge. It actually sounds better than the 61s with the conventional bridge configuration. That said, I just cant bring self to change it at all given how original it is....I have never seen another one like it, as most of them (like yours) were 'upgraded' to the newest design.

One other interesting point.... your neck stamp (W 3189 6)actually references a 55. Mine (V 4839 12)references a 56. The 4 digits represent the batch and the last digits represent the sequence within the batch.

Great to connect with you! I'm in Raleigh NC

post-82834-076031300 1483586321_thumb.jpg

I just cant bring self to change it at all given how original it is...

I think that's wise, and also "the right thing to (not) do". Just my opinion. GREAT guitar!

I also love the custom truss rod cover on guitarbld's 200. Those are relatively rare little items that add a little extra touch of class. I used to own a '62 Johnny Smith that had a nicely engraved trc like that.

plug_j_200.jpg

They were not shy with the glue back then.. thats what held those together all these years.. if they weren't so cheap this day and age.. the new ones might see 50 years without coming apart.

Btw neat to see two of those J200s Nice Guitars guys..

Archived