Gibson Brands Forums

Weird spot on hummingbird pro headstock

tbutcher

Looks like raised nitrocellulose lacquer.

If it is, the right luthier could fix it though the task would be slightly awkward and demanding for him = To sand and refinish, , , and treat the logo.

Think I would let it be, but look forward to hear others chime in.

Welcome here, , ,

Is it under the A-string-pole as well. .

Does look like it's starting on the other post too

Someone here is bound to have seen such a thing before . I never have . Would be annoying that . Not something I'd tackle myself other than removing the peg to see what's going on under there as I'm thinking it has started to grow from under it.

Hope you get a solution.

I've seen them on a few Gibsons. We called them "teardrops". I believe it's raised lacquer, as stated above. If I remember correctly, my brother removed the tuners on one guitar like that and the piece "chipped-out". That was years ago and at my age my memory isn't the greatest.

This problem has come up quite a few times here on these forums, both acoustic and electric. The finish is delaminating from the wood surface. Sometimes it's confined to a small area like yours and other times and can be extensive. It can even occur around the headstock inlays. A luthier or trusted shop can repair this problem.

HeadstockDelam1_zpsiitll6qx.jpg

HeadstockDelam3_zpsantwrtni.jpg

Archived