Gibson Brands Forums

Trolls?

Buc McMaster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the OP of this thread trolling?!

Aaaahh, another good laugh ignited by these pages, , , ^

but have the repeat the words I told the thread-host after post #1 : I think the answer is no.

Ha hehe, , , at times I'm really convinced how right it was to join this place back in '10.

All in all what a terrific bunch of talented, knowing and wonderful acoustic weirdos we 'ave here. .

Beating us in nerdery would take a chess-forum.

Seems there's a rash of weird threads lately from new members with one or two posts......... The woody-smelling Martin, the Taylor "this one or that one" post, the headstock lacquer bubble. Are we under attack?

Start yer own forum, determine what is and isn't a good first post or three, remember your own first post or three, post your clear and concise rules as to what you say is a legitimate thread, and have at it.

rct

Seems there's a rash of weird threads lately from new members with one or two posts......... The woody-smelling Martin, the Taylor "this one or that one" post, the headstock lacquer bubble. Are we under attack?

I've thought the same thing at times.

Trollers are simply weird, not sure we can do much about them other than stay factual and/or not respond to any nonsense threads or threads that try to bait ya.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think there still is a difference between trolling and asking honest questions. To the visitor seeking advice the appearance of the Gibson Guitar Board obviously is that of a bunch of open-minded, open-hearted folks. Not many web fora consist of people who are that experienced in instruments of lots of different makes as well as music and technique. This impressed me most when I decided to join in mid-2012.

That a newbie may post a topic on products of a third-party vendor into a subforum dedicated to Gibson guitars is not such a bad mistake in my humble opinion. After a short period she/he may find out that the Gibson and Epiphone Lounges are the way to go, but also remember posting there is bound to a minimum number of previous posts.

I think there still is a difference between trolling and asking honest questions. To the visitor seeking advice the appearance of the Gibson Guitar Board obviously is that of a bunch of open-minded, open-hearted folks. Not many web fora consist of people who are that experienced in instruments of lots of different makes as well as music and technique. This impressed me most when I decided to join in mid-2012.

That a newbie may post a topic on products of a third-party vendor into a subforum dedicated to Gibson guitars is not such a bad mistake in my humble opinion. After a short period she/he may find out that the Gibson and Epiphone Lounges are the way to go, but also remember posting there is bound to a minimum number of previous posts.

Agreed. This is a friendly place, and plenty of regulars seek advice on purchases outside the Gibson range because they trust the responses more than those on other forums.

For instance, I have been thinking about asking here for advice on Telecasters. I am well aware of TDPRI, but I notice that the sorts of questions I have are already listed there ad infinitum without really producing the advice I'd want. Lots of really interesting info there, but nothing really key. And I don't have a sense of the members there despite hanging around for ages. Here I know that there will be somebody whose expertise extends to Teles, and who will engage in a real conversation without just saying that I should buy the Tele equivalent of a John Mayer Stratocaster, or a Squier Classic Vibe, or whatever it is that they have in their collection. If I asked on the Gibson Memphis page, I'd wait a year for a reply. And in the Gibson Lounge, I'd be lynched and told to buy a Les Paul.

That said, I do know where Buc is coming from. The Taylor post did seem to be completely unaware that it was on the Gibson Acoustic page - which might be genuine or feigned naivety.

For instance, I have been thinking about asking here for advice on Telecasters.

Buy a real one. Real one's have single coils.

I'd go American, but if you're on a budget the Mexican ones are pretty sweet for the money.

If I asked on the Gibson Memphis page, I'd wait a year for a reply. And in the Gibson Lounge, I'd be lynched and told to buy a Les Paul.

I don't think this is entirely true,

there would certainly be a few posts that would say things like that, but many of the ppl here (like me for example) have no serious attachment to any brands or country of origin.

I spend a lot of time on this forum because of the ppl here, and I enjoy conversing with them.

But, I have a wide range of guitars I play/use all the time.

I own 3 Fenders, 6 Epiphones, 6 USA gibson's, and even a Taylor acoustic (OH THE HORRORS!!) which happens to be an excellent guitar. (I used to have 2, but sold one to my Bro-inlaw when I bougth my SJ200. He needed a better acoustic than what he'd been playing, and he loves it)

Some of the guys here don't like Taylor's and they wont hesitate to let you know. But that's fine, I aint here to pick fights, so I just laugh along with them and move on. I play what I play, I like what I like, everyone has different leanings.

So, Go ahead, ask your Tele question, you'll get some answers. There's many people here on this board that have them, I wouldn't be without one personally.

Also The Fender Forum isn't a bad place either and there's a lot of decent discussions that go on there. That said, be aware that there are a few resident trolls that haunt the place. Do what I do, stay calm and don't take anything too seriously! :)

Hey Mojorule-there are many who cross over brand boundaries so you shouldn't be intimidated by that. I own a Squier Classic Vibe Custom Tele that I bought used for a great price and I can say that it's real value for money.Just check out the testimonials on youtube and you'll see what I'm saying.Especially the one on Andertons from the UK where the shredder dude (Chappie) got the Classic Vibe confused with the Custom Shop model to his great embarrassment!They were not playing them through an amp-just handling them blindfolded and unplugged.Both reviewers said that they were astounded by how good the build and feel was for a $350 guitar.Some people simply have to have "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock but in those cases it's not about the sound as much as cachet. I hope I haven't overstepped decorum by rattling on here about a competitor's product.

Geez. Sorry I brought it up.

I was hoping you would re-arrive and comment, , , rather put it to rest.

Let's not take it too seriously. I still believe the basic theme is important and guess we're all slightly sharpened about it after this party.

Nah, don't be. On a given day, my patience has been known to suffer, and although I usually try to avoid commenting overmuch on those days, it's nice to know other folks pick up on things that bring out the "messed with" Sasquatch side of my nature.

I knew I'd get a good response: I return to my work, and you're all straight in with the knowledge. Thanks all. So, will set up a separate thread with the key questions: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/134236-mojo-tele-quest/.

Buy a real one. Real one's have single coils.

I'd go American, but if you're on a budget the Mexican ones are pretty sweet for the money.

Agreed on the single coils, Murph. I've got humbuckers covered with my Howard Roberts. And I need something that won't make mud of my VHT practice amp. Can't afford American, though. Two weeks ago in our local big box, US Specials were £901 vs £999 for a US Standard. Actually can't afford Mexican either really. Need ultra-budget, but decent.

If I asked on the Gibson Memphis page, I'd wait a year for a reply. And in the Gibson Lounge, I'd be lynched and told to buy a Les Paul.

I don't think this is entirely true, there would certainly be a few posts that would say things like that, but many of the ppl here (like me for example) have no serious attachment to any brands or country of origin.

I spend a lot of time on this forum because of the ppl here, and I enjoy conversing with them.

So, Go ahead, ask your Tele question, you'll get some answers. There's many people here on this board that have them, I wouldn't be without one personally.

Also The Fender Forum isn't a bad place either and there's a lot of decent discussions that go on there. That said, be aware that there are a few resident trolls that haunt the place. Do what I do, stay calm and don't take anything too seriously! :)

Of course you're right, and I exaggerate for effect, but I can't face wading through all the Gary Moore posts in the Lounge to get to the point. The Memphis people are nice too, and somebody even mailed me with a tip for where to find a pin for the fingers tailpiece on my Howard Roberts, several years after I posted asking. But things move more slowly there than here. Here you're all straight in.

Hey Mojorule-there are many who cross over brand boundaries so you shouldn't be intimidated by that. I own a Squier Classic Vibe Custom Tele that I bought used for a great price and I can say that it's real value for money.Just check out the testimonials on youtube and you'll see what I'm saying.Especially the one on Andertons from the UK where the shredder dude (Chappie) got the Classic Vibe confused with the Custom Shop model to his great embarrassment!They were not playing them through an amp-just handling them blindfolded and unplugged.Both reviewers said that they were astounded by how good the build and feel was for a $350 guitar.Some people simply have to have "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock but in those cases it's not about the sound as much as cachet. I hope I haven't overstepped decorum by rattling on here about a competitor's product.

Thanks Olie. I never feel intimidated here, just wanted to agree that there is a wealth of knowledge here. I've tried a couple of '50s CVCs and liked them a lot. But they are also rising in price in the UK, and are now near the £450 mark. Still too much for me.

But the Taylor post was surely worth the query, Buc. There have been a lot of first-time posts asking about non-Gibson guitars.

Archived