Gibson Brands Forums

Need your expert Help 1958? Gold Top

cossygrahame

I have been reading this forum for some time as I am trying to date my treasured guitar....Due to finance problems I have no choice but to look to sell it. The last thing I want is to get turned over. Reading your posts to other members I believe I am in the right place to get some real expert genuine advice.

The serial number is ink stamped "8 0080"

Any help would be greatly apprieciated....I was under the impression that it was a re issue from 1980....do these carry the same serials given to 1958.....when I search the serial number it just comes up with 1958 Kallamazoo factory. Thanking anyone in advance for their help

pics would help a lot in ID-ing your LP.

the SN you have could be a 1958 GT' date=' a 1988 Reissue or a 2000 R8 but not a 1980. when and where did you bought it by the way?[/quote']CIMG1799.jpgCIMG1810.jpg

CIMG1806.jpg

Thanks for your help...Dad bought it 20 yrs ago...second hand dont know anything else about the purchase.

Thanks ever so much for all this information..How much do you suggest I should accept for this....Ball park figures....Any suggestion / ideas would be welcomed, as you can tell I really am not in the know??? By the way how can you tell all this with such accuracy, I find it all very confusing. Cheers again for all your help, I knew this would be the place to get answers

Thanks ever so much for all this information..How much do you suggest I should accept for this....Ball park figures....Any suggestion / ideas would be welcomed' date=' as you can tell I really am not in the know??? By the way how can you tell all this with such accuracy, I find it all very confusing. Cheers again for all your help, I knew this would be the place to get answers[/quote']

i have a 2007 price guide(so it's not that accurate anymore) and it priced it at around $1500 to $2000. But considering your location(UK, where LPs cost considerably more) the value might be a bit more.

BTW, joining forums such as this or The Les Paul Forum or mylespaul.com forums can teach you lots of things on identifying Les Pauls. fine details like the SN font, the bridge type, headstock shape, body shape, knob position, binding, inlays, tuners, tuner position can help in ID-ing LPs.

thats a very nice GT by the way.

Archived