Gibson Brands Forums

New DC Day!

Auriemma

Last night I was selling pickups to someone. We met up at the local GC. Of course he was inside and I needed to in to find him so we could do the deal. So after we are done, I take a walk around the used section. I see a Gibson DC hanging on the wall. Amber maple top, mahogany, and rosewood. Fairly tall frets that were in excellent condition. All gold hardware, Grover tuners, it looked all original. I check the serial... 1999. Sadly the setup was rubbish. The action was "buzz everywhere" kinda low.

First thing that crosses my mind is... I need to go home and get some guitars I'm not playing. Went home grabbed 4 lesser guitars and came back. As they were valuating my trade ins, the tech was putting a fresh setup on it. Once that was fixed, it played very well. I noticed this DC was very light weight, the neck was thinner than any Gibson I've ever played. The body thin and reminded me of a Les Plus. The tone from the neck pickup was not a LP growl, brighter, more articulate, almost airy, the bridge was typical LP bright and powerful.

So after a bit of haggling (not much really), I bring her home.

So this morning I get to give her a full DNA removal, cleaning, polish, string change, and my setup. After a thorough inspection (pulled the panel), it is marked LPLI TA, and it's chambered. She is in excellent shape. Only 3 tiny dings on the neck. I come to find the pickups are 57 Classic Plus and 492R. Not too shabby.

So she is a 1999 Les Paul Double Cut Standard Lite in Trans Amber. Now that's a mouthful.

My wife, who is not a guitar fan, likes it...and even approves.

ac03c3204e7e85c6163e23e26d4e8278.jpg

5fab9e0999f41ce0bfd05fedab022adf.jpg

b6e94e3bd95275db4c5944bb656a0967.jpg

c7b15f0b3b315abb8cf813d5fff1944e.jpg

3ae0482301f8ed470e5ddfe2b28d5d66.jpg

Last night I was selling pickups to someone. We met up at the local GC. Of course he was inside and I needed to in to find him so we could do the deal. So after we are done, I take a walk around the used section. I see a Gibson DC hanging on the wall. Amber maple top, mahogany, and rosewood. Fairly tall frets that were in excellent condition. All gold hardware, Grover tuners, it looked all original. I check the serial... 1999. Sadly the setup was rubbish. The action was "buzz everywhere" kinda low.

First thing that crosses my mind is... I need to go home and get some guitars I'm not playing. Went home grabbed 4 lesser guitars and came back. As they were valuating my trade ins, the tech was putting a fresh setup on it. Once that was fixed, it played very well. I noticed this DC was very light weight, the neck was thinner than any Gibson I've ever played. The body thin and reminded me of a Les Plus. The tone from the neck pickup was not a LP growl, brighter, more articulate, almost airy, the bridge was typical LP bright and powerful.

So after a bit of haggling (not much really), I bring her home.

So this morning I get to give her a full DNA removal, cleaning, polish, string change, and my setup. After a thorough inspection (pulled the panel), it is marked LPLI TA, and it's chambered. She is in excellent shape. Only 3 tiny dings on the neck. I come to find the pickups are 57 Classic Plus and 492R. Not too shabby.

So she is a 1999 Les Paul Double Cut Standard Lite in Trans Amber. Now that's a mouthful.

My wife, who is not a guitar fan, likes it...and even approves.

ac03c3204e7e85c6163e23e26d4e8278.jpg

5fab9e0999f41ce0bfd05fedab022adf.jpg

b6e94e3bd95275db4c5944bb656a0967.jpg

c7b15f0b3b315abb8cf813d5fff1944e.jpg

3ae0482301f8ed470e5ddfe2b28d5d66.jpg

Very nice guitar, though the wife's approval is priceless [biggrin]

Ohh yeah that is sweet... [thumbup]

Ive said it before and I will say it again.. DOUBLE CUTS RULE!!!! I have a double cut special and I always say its got the best playing neck of all of my guitars... Mine has P90s and roars..... Best shape ever, much better upper fret access than a single cut.

Everyone should try one. :)

That looks awesome dude; great find! And the 492 pickup? Not come across that one before!

I stand corrected... the pickups are 490R & 498T.

Edit...

I thought I was wrong. The Standard has 490R & 498T pups.

The Standard Lite has 492R Alnico and Classic 57T Plus pups.

I called Gibson Customer Service and they confirmed 492R & Classic 57T Plus pickups in the Lite.

Also, he told me that the Lite isn't considered part of the DC line. It was part of the "Standard" line and the Lite shape is a chambered DC style.

If that makes any sense.

I called Gibson Customer Service and they confirmed 492R & Classic 57T Plus pickups in the Lite.

Also, he told me that the Lite isn't considered part of the DC line. It was part of the "Standard" line and the Lite shape is a chambered DC style.

If that makes any sense.

It does - they have some whacky ways of product line arranging. Also thanks for the info on the pickups. I wonder why the 492 was phased out...

Archived