Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Californiaman

Rotary Effects?

I played alongside an organist in the 70's....he bought a digital 'rotary' cabinet amp and speaker which sounded very good

Can't remember the make or model

Today the Hammond and Leslie web pages make for interesting reading...[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I settled for a Fulltone Deja Vibe - but that's really a Univibe clone not a Leslie clone.

Tech 21 Rotochoir (someone on here owns one)

have both of these, i think the dejavibe is a little better. the tech 21 is no slouch though.

the entire i bought them is to play gov't mule stuff

Boss RT20 rotary emulator works nicely.

Also elecroharmonis B9 Hammond emulator with, of course, the Leslie sound.

Happy with both, although they're rather different.

Years ago when I played a lot of saloon weekends I had a Fender Leslie. HEAVY. It sounded fine, but... way too much to haul with other stuff for a trio.

That's why I looked at the pedals and I'm happy with how both work and would be happy gigging with either, especially if a Hammond were the sort of sound I was looking for.

m

Boss RT20 rotary emulator works nicely.

Also elecroharmonis B9 Hammond emulator with, of course, the Leslie sound.

Happy with both, although they're rather different.

Years ago when I played a lot of saloon weekends I had a Fender Leslie. HEAVY. It sounded fine, but... way too much to haul with other stuff for a trio.

That's why I looked at the pedals and I'm happy with how both work and would be happy gigging with either, especially if a Hammond were the sort of sound I was looking for.

m

Good to see you posting milod [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks!

I'm a bit slower getting through the day the past year and a half, but still vertical and wiggling.

I've promised myself after the first of the year to see if I can start making my left hand act like it's attached to a guitar player 'stedda a broken remote control unit.

<grin> Seriously, I don't wanna sound "down," because I'm still around, still "shooting" teenagers in high school sports for publication, typing around 60 words a minute and... ain't studying the snow from under the grass.

.... Back to topic...

I'd say the deal on the electronic gadgets is that a lot has to do with what you want out of 'em.

A strictly "leslie emulator," of good quality will offer a good sound that isn't really "guitar-like," but not really like a Hammond B3 or similar, either.

I tried it for that sound, and especially with a volume pedal, it added some organ blues sound...

But the Hammond/leslie emulator and volume pedal works better for that purpose.

IMHO, however, a pedal is fine for gigs with a special inclination toward a given sound for a given group, given type of gig and book, but likely a waste of money for bedroom pickers who may or may not get out for that weekend gig with this or that group. Some of that, to be blunt, is that your whole amplification system will functionally be entirely different depending on the venue, not even to mention the equipment and book.

m

Talk about timing! Just ran across this today

http://boise.craigslist.org/msg/5895846051.html

Yes! [thumbup]

That's the pedal that started this entire conversation. I saw it posted a week or two ago (when ever I started this post).

I like it, but would rather have the guitar pedal instead of the organ/guitar pedal.

Although if I really want it, I guess I can call the guy.

Here's the problem, though, as I discovered in the '70s playing a lot of saloon gigs and then again maybe 8-10 years ago when I was playing out more.

It's how does the sound fit the gig and especially with other musicians.

My big Fender Leslie - the real thing mechanical rotating - ended up being used 90 percent of the time as an extension cab. It just didn't fit most of the book, and especially since it was just my guitar, bass and drums. Yeah, 5-10 percent of the time a "B3" sound was appropriate, but it took somewhat different technique, a volume pedal for "swell" and consideration of how to make that work in a given trio piece. 90 percent of the time it didn't.

Later with another guitar player, bass and drums, I'd switch to a B3 sound mostly for blues; again with the volume pedal, and that's with a Hammond/Leslie emulator that did a decent job of winding down or cranking up the rotation speed.

Again, it was reminding me that it's not gadgets or even technique, but appropriate sound for a given piece from a given book, and then adjustment of the gadgets and technique.

Funny thing too is I did a solo just for giggles one night using the B3 emulator - and at the time I could do a decent B3 emulation with my right and left hands on guitar - and the comment from several folks who hadn't heard me play much at the time was, "why don't you let the guitar just sound like a guitar?"

Granted, they were more familiar with everything from jazz, rock and country of the era than blues with a B3 or a 50s-early 60s Hammond trio or quartet, but...

m

I just picked up the Lester K. Very cool! I've also used UniVibe and Roto Vibe pedals, but I like the Lester K's sound. Sounds great in stereo too!

EH make a good one

So basically this thread has convinced me that I really need the Keeley Monterey - even though I have a Deja Vibe and plenty of fuzzes already! [blink]

So basically this thread has convinced me that I really need the Keeley Monterey - even though I have a Deja Vibe and plenty of fuzzes already! [blink]

I HAVE THIS ONE - YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!! :o

Actually I bought the more expensive germanium version but you will love either version!

keeley_monterey-special_001.jpg

Well you're certainly welcome Surfpup. I guess I'm just doing my small part to keep the church of sonic goodness alive and well.

Seriously though, there are some nice sounding rotary and vibe-based effects here.

I wouldn't mind owning one of these Monterey pedals too.

Very versatile pedal.