Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

What the latest song you've been playing on your guitar?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Tman said:

Gimme Shelter. Using tremolo to try to sound like Keith. 

 

An intro I love - have often wondered exactly how he got that sound, the notes have a 'plunk' almost like a Fender Rhodes - there's obviously amp trem there but what else? Studio eq?

None of the vids I've seen so far have explained it.

Edited by jdgm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jdgm said:

 

An intro I love - have often wondered exactly how he got that sound, the notes have a 'plunk' almost like a Fender Rhodes - there's obviously amp trem there but what else? Studio eq?

None of the vids I've seen so far have explained it.

Not sure and I'm not able to nail it- yet.  When Charlie kicks in on drums it is so cool that I kinda lose concentration like Michael Palin with the fish.

Edited by Tman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Stones open G tuning. Back in the day when this era of songs were new, I noticed that the club bands were not getting the full sound Kieth got playing songs like Gimmie Shelter, Brown Sugar, Honkytonk Woman and so on.. Until one day I heard a Stones cover band that members had roadied for them on one of their tours. Anyway the meat..

Kieths open G tuning, the E goes up to G an the A goes down to G, thats it, the rest of the strings are tuned standard (G G D G B E). Open bar cords are used a lot enhanced with an alternating Am7 pattern under them and the barred variations. Brown Sugar starts with, open G with B and E strings held down on the third fret creating a very full sounding G cord..

Its not rocket science but it sounds really cool. Oh yea, you have to transpose your bar cord thinking to a lower position like G is open A is 2nd fret, B is 3rd fret, C is 5th fret...

Good luck..... It makes playing Stones songs much easier, specially songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking..

You probably won't find reference to this, its Kieths secret.... There is a mention of D G D G B E.

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

 Stones open G tuning. Back in the day when this era of songs were new, I noticed that the club bands were not getting the full sound Kieth got playing songs like Gimmie Shelter, Brown Sugar, Honkytonk Woman and so on.. Until one day I heard a Stones cover band that members had roadied for them on one of their tours. Anyway the meat..

Kieths open G tuning, the E goes up to G an the A goes down to G, thats it, the rest of the strings are tuned standard. Open bar cords are used a lot enhanced with an alternating Am7 pattern under them. Brown Sugar starts with, open G with B and E strings held down on the third fret creating a very full sounding G cord..

Its not rocket science but it sounds really cool. Oh yea, you have to transpose your bar cord thinking to a lower position like G is open A is 2nd fret, B is 3rd fret, C is 5th fret...

Good luck..... It makes playing Stones songs much easier, specially songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking..

You probably won't find reference to this, its Kieths secret....

The high E-string is tuned down to D, the A-string is tuned down to G, and the low E-string is tuned down to D. Or as Keef does it: Remove the low E-string and toss it... And by the way, Gimmie Shelter is played in standard tuning. (Don't know if you, by mentioning that particular song in this context, was implying that it's an "open G" song.) 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Keefoman said:

The high E-string is tuned down to D, the A-string is tuned down to G, and the low E-string is tuned down to D. Or as Keef does it: Remove the low E-string and toss it... And by the way, Gimmie Shelter is played in standard tuning. (Don't know if you, by mentioning that particular song in this context, was implying that it's an "open G" song.) 🙂

I think he may have used both at times, I'm  sure he could any of them in standard tuning, but live, I would bet, he used the simplest way.. Remember my reference is to what he used in the mid 70's... Nothing is absolute, I was not told this by him but a mimic band... I tried it and it worked, back in the day...

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

I think he used both at times, I be sure he could any of them in standard tuning, but live, I would bet, he used the simplest way..

Nope. On the studio recording there is one guitartrack in open E, but the main guitar is standard. Live, he has always played it in standard tuning, but he has simplified the riff later years due to his arthritis I guess.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Running Wild' (think of Marilyn Monroe in 'Some Like it Hot') in the key of A. Good fun!

Now all I have to do is do justice by the dress and I'm all set.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Keefoman said:

Nope. On the studio recording there is one guitartrack in open E, but the main guitar is standard. Live, he has always played it in standard tuning, but he has simplified the riff later years due to his arthritis I guess.

I think you may be right, Keith in 69 is primarily playing lead and Brian Jones is playing 2nd guitar which could be in G tuning..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I think you may be right, Keith in 69 is primarily playing lead and Brian Jones is playing 2nd guitar which could be in G tuning..

The studio recording is all Keith. Brian Jones didn't contribute at all on Let it Bleed. Mick Taylor did some overdubs on a couple of tracks, but not on Gimme Shelter. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Keefoman said:

The studio recording is all Keith. Brian Jones didn't contribute at all on Let it Bleed. Mick Taylor did some overdubs on a couple of tracks, but not on Gimme Shelter. 

I  had just watched a 69 video of Gimme Shelter and I mis-identied Brian, who died that year, but was actually Mic Taylor..

Sorry my whole thing here went off on the wrong track...

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mihcmac said:

I  had just watched a 69 video of Gimme Shelter and I mis-identied Brian, who died that year but was actually Mic Taylor..

Yeah, Taylors first live gig was the Hyde Park on 5 July just two days after Jones' passing. Anyway I don't think Mick Taylor used open tunings other than when playing slide. Which he, of course, did brilliantly!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's how I interpret the intro and main guitartrack. (With a mess of the original and countless live-versions in mind...) Standard tuning:

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 1:29 PM, Keefoman said:

The high E-string is tuned down to D, the A-string is tuned down to G, and the low E-string is tuned down to D. Or as Keef does it: Remove the low E-string and toss it... And by the way, Gimmie Shelter is played in standard tuning. (Don't know if you, by mentioning that particular song in this context, was implying that it's an "open G" song.) 🙂

When I gig (3 times a year lately) we start off with Start me up to Honky Tonk Women to Brown Sugar. I tune the A string down to G and just palm mute (or just avoid) both E strings. It's a great quick tuning way to sound like Keith without having to have a dedicated "open G" guitar. Then for the next song turn the tuner on silent and tune up the A and move along...nothing to see here.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, Keefoman said:

Here's how I interpret the intro and main guitartrack. (With a mess of the original and countless live-versions in mind...) Standard tuning:

 

I don't know if that is how Keef played it but that is more than acceptable my friend!!  👍

Edited by Big Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing along with, and improvising around, Miles Davis' Bag's Groove.  That is a great tune with some fabulous musicians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...