Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Rig-3 Stand alone?

icing777

Gr3 runs off a pc or mac .Standalone refers to using GR3 without running it through an audio app.. ie:- Ableton.

So, yes you can run it in standalone mode (Applications quick start chapter 3) but you still need the RIP or any soundcard.

As the GR3 that comes with the DF is a full version, you need a sound card with low latency. Connect the guitar to the input and an active speaker or a mixer to the output. Just like the RIP. In the GR3 configuration change the input and output to your preferred soundcard and it will work right. I'm using the NI RIG Kontrol 2 for my GR3.

NI for example offers the mobile version of GR3 with an usb-soundcard-device for about 100€ street price.

http://www.native-instruments.com/newreleases/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-mobile/

(Sorry, i don't know why this link is separated, you may copy it into the browser)

EDIT: Try this one

http://tinyurl.com/bdqwld

I have asked NI if the device is sold separately for less money, but they told me, the complete package is cheap enough. So, if i would buy it, then i would own a full version of GR3, a mobile version of GR3 and a DF version of GR3, if i get my DF some day.

Wish i had 6 arms to all three versions at the same time. :-(

Besides, you have no advantage in not using the RIP, except extra cost. The RIP has very low latency as it is posted here in the forum.

Guys, what the heck am i missing here.... Please, explain!

Har says: "As the GR3 that comes with the DF is a full version, you need a sound card with low latency. Connect the guitar to the input and an active speaker or a mixer to the output. Just like the RIP"

Here is what my spec says for Audio: Intel® 7.1 channel High Definition Audio. Is it not a sound card?

Still don't understand - when not using RIP, where exactly do you plug the 1/4" guitar cable???

I have had GR3 on a PPC G-5 for a few years now and just recently updated the app to 3.2.0. Digging around in the sound bank folder I noticed the Dark Fire banks or presets. I have tried several times to load them when running the app. I just received my DF guitar last week and the RIP this past weekend. I installed all the apps on the DVD and ran GR3 and still no Dark Fire presets will load. One thing, I did not have to activate the GR3 app because I already have one installed in another location on the same computer. I then installed the DVD contents on my other Mac G-4 with no problems, activated GR3 with the serial and I now have the DF presets to play with. Any ideas on what to do here with the G-5? I also have NI tech on this as well.

Here is what my spec says for Audio: Intel® 7.1 channel High Definition Audio. Is it not a sound card?

Still don't understand - when not using RIP, where exactly do you plug the 1/4" guitar cable???

You need an adapter from 1/4" to 1/8" for this purpose.

Though i don't think you will be happy with your integrated soundcard, as latency usually will be relative high with soundcards integrated on system mainboards.

In addition - the Audio input impedance of most PC motherboards is below 10k ohm

Compare to typical guitar amp input impedance of 1Meg ohm.

Plugging into an input with 10K or less input impedance will result in lack of high frequencies from the Mag PUs.

and you need a sound card with ASIO driver for lowest latency processing.

I've been able to use GR3 with the Dark Fire RIP, Line6 Toneport DI, MOTU 828MKII.

Archived