Gibson Brands Forums

Extreme fatigue and the going rate

sparquelito

actually sex and money lending - food too - have been exceptional as the original guerilla marketers. Everybody at one time or another has an interest in the product and then it's a matter of finding an appropriate provider in one's economic reach.

m

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually sex and money lending - food too - have been exceptional as the original guerilla marketers. Everybody at one time or another has an interest in the product and then it's a matter of finding an appropriate provider in one's economic reach.

m

Hello, Fellow Babies,

I agree with you, sparquelito, it is way easier to handle the money filing as an individual. Keeping track of all the expenses is a real buzz-kill.

When I first started out I was pretty sloppy about keeping business records; after all, I was 14 or 15 years old and the money I earned was small potatoes. It piled up fast cause my parents were still carrying my freight.

Well, my outstanding character flaw/philosophy is that if it isn't important to me, who cares? Well, after some office visits, way more scrutiny than I wanted, protracted discussions, and a lot of muttered name-calling, the IRS impressed me that they "really, really want" to know about my money. My other philosophy, "Find out what Big Brother wants; and knuckle-under."

The tax procedures get tedious, but paying attention to the deductions is one of the big deals. I have even developed a certain pleasure in trying to discover new ways. That started when I got a local business license because I exhibit in art shows. The city was taxing me for using art tables, equipment and furniture that had been in my parents home for 40 years before I began using it.… grrrrrrr. You really have to find every means of promoting yourself ….. and every freaking tax deduction.

But them's the rules of the game. The city, the state, the IRS doesn't care if you're swimming in a pool-full of cash, if you had any income at all, it better show on your 1040. The local financial environment in which you swim is of no interest to the IRS. That restaurants and bars can't support big venues is a problem for you and your competitors. Some success just comes from being "the last man standing." Let all the other bands in your area give up…. Okay, it's not much money, but over the years, my favorite places to play with my band have been EM clubs. Until I screwed up my hand, I liked solo work in dinner clubs, I won't kid you--I loved playing, can't tell you how much I miss it.

My experience with unions is that they seem to be more of a hindrance, but that's just another block in the money environment -- there are many, fat contracts in California, and if you want in, you will have to be union. Okay as an ex member of BMI, I applaud that they collect and pay royalties. And remember, some day when you grow up, you to may be collecting royalties and depending on the union for your big jobs. Just part of the environment, learn to cope.

milod may be right that the economic and cultural shocks of the last 10 years -- especially computers -- may have permanently altered our world. For instance, you may not be a Star wars fan; but consider this -- even as late as the sixties, A-list movie stars avoided appearing in sci-fi movies. Small budgets, small Hollywood parties and premiers, small box office revenues. Star wars changed that. Since the 70s there are lots of well known stars that built their careers on multiple sci-fi movies, like Harrison Ford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Samuel Jackson, Bruce Willis, Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, Ian Holm, Ian Mckellen, etc. And of course, Star Wars accelerated the switch from film to video and computer editing which allow cheap, spectacular, none life-threatening special effects over about 5 years.

Okay so maybe you will see wax musicians in glass cases as curiosities next to the Neanderthal display because the museum can't quite separate them by appearance, garb, carbon dating, or tools. But I don't agree that small venues are bad. If you're the Rolling Stones maybe, but until you reach the level where your touring expenses are so large, don't be so quick to dismiss the small places.

My grandparents lost their farm in Sherman, Texas; we were part of the great Okie Migration that moved to Calif. I have always thought about the Dust Bowl and Depression eras, a time that lasted through the mid 20s through to the end of WW II. It was way the Hell and Back again worse than our time, but people still looked for every excuse, for every opportunity to enjoy themselves. Imagine the effect it had on people that could listen to Roy Rogers or Gene Autry sing, or listen to the silly shows like Lum and Abner…. Some of the greatest entertainers of the twentieth century toured and perfected their craft on the Vaudeville circuit. Small timers moved through the ranks from Vaudeville, to radio, to the movie screen. That's where Stan and Oliver learned to be Laurel and Hardy, Jack Benny learned to penetrate the "fourth wall", Bo Jangles, Bolger, Cagney, and Astair learned to dance.

I believe that a small, live audience can teach you to be a better performer because you get live, immediate response to your performance. I never gave any thought to how much music impacts peoples emotions; some music, like the Navy Hymn/Eternal Father can bring tears to my eyes, but I thought that was just me… One day the band, my brother, and were playing for a wedding: we had used up a lot of the songs the bride requested, and I really didn't to play them again so soon. Well, my brother had been plain' around with some chord substitutions so we agreed to play the music straight, and then add his substitutions… So we played Somewhere Over the Rainbow -- holy cow!! people stopped talking, some stared at us, some of the ladies burst into tears… we were a hit, the song was requested 3 more times, and the father-of-the-bride paid us another $100… lots of the wedding guests stopped by to thank us and they especially liked Somewhere Over the Rainbow because, they said, it expressed the hopes of the newly married couple. Well I'd like to say I expected that reaction, but … no, it'd never occurred to me, I was just playing some music… That was am important moment for me. I realized that I like small, responsive audiences; they respond in real time, they talk, and you can really learn what they liked. Maybe you should embrace the small venue, as it will bring the audience perspective to you. Never forget, you're entertaining them, not just to please yourself. What ever the new venue or the new entertainment you will be better able to embrace it if you're out there participating.

I am a perfectionist in art and music and I love my job. I love everything about guitars except payments, but if you're like me practicing or playing on stage is one of those experiences that is close to a "high." And for most of us… it better be enough. Imagine the artists competing with Leonardo da Vinci and Michaelangelo. Okay, we don't know the names of any headliner, Renaissance musicians unless you're a music historian, but my point is the competition for the big money and prestige has always been pretty hard just maintaining your place in the herd..

As Kathy Griffin says about entertainment personality rankings; I am not quite a D-list personality, more of an E or ** horror of horrors** I might even be an H. At some point I had to do some soul searching, and it finally boils down to I love what I do. I may labor in obscurity, and make tiny money, but I still do it because it is me. I haven't made a dent in the music world -- one, disputed tiny hit just before the Beatles swallowed the world, but I gots to play…. As Yoda said, " Try not. Do or don't do."

Extremely informative, interesting thread with many good points from those who have the experience!

TV and now the computer changed everything, though it takes a while to clearly see how. It's also a generational thing IMO.

People still want live music, but now they either pay a lot and make a big outing to see the legends while they still can...or they find it for free.

I am - and always have been - on a very low rung; when I do play it is in pubs (never on a stage) for the same tiny pittance I got 20-30 years ago, which just about covers the transport costs.

Don't think anything (except my own playing) will change for the better in the near future; more pubs and restaurants close down than open, here in the UK.

Regards to all.

jdgm...

Ain't just the U.K. with smaller venues closing.

That's why my comments were by intent in terms of "the developed world."

Both this and my "history-philosophy" forum reinforce my opinion that we're talking about all of us, especially Anglophones, but "European-based" cultures especially and Asian-pacific more developed nations too.

BTW, it's been a few years ago, but I did an interview with Jack Benny over breakfast one day many years ago.

I agree to a preference for smaller venues - but there are increasingly few of them and, frankly, it seems their acoustics tend to be horrid and bands play too loud to enjoy either a nice dinner or conversation.

Then again, I'm an old grump.

m

I think it was nailed with the comment that others get paid, the band gets paid. Period.

Once upon a time around my part of the world that was 90 percent of why any bands joined the musicians union. Now... it's kinda word of mouth but folks know who pays, who pays reeeally slowly... and who it may not be a good idea to contract with.

m

I thank you ALL for the fantastic insight and perspective.

This is what the internet should be;

A means for sharing information, ideas, and wisdom.

This is HOW the internet population should be;

Gracious, thoughtful, and honest.

Much appreciated!!

=D>

Archived