Gibson Brands Forums

Almost Blue - Elvis Costello cover - J-45

flatbaroque

Here's another song for that gig EA has got me in Prague - the bar where the ladies smoke thin cigars and drink thick cocktails.

Elvis C wrote this for Jazz trumpeter and vocalist Chet Baker. But his own version is beautiful.I'm not sure if he has any kids with Diana Krall...but the musical genetics would be mind boggling.

The A minor walkdown used in this song predates Stairway to Heaven by a long time."My Funny Valentine" from I think the'30's has the same chord run down.This song has echos of that song...but sadder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgNfxu3c59M&feature=youtu.be

Here's another song for that gig EA has got me in Prague - the bar where the ladies smoke thin cigars and drink thick cocktails.

I'm sure they do.

Now- damn, I forgot to listen to the guitar, the room acoustics, string break angle, etc. All I heard was the song. Take good care of yourself. . . we don't want you getting too good at this genre. But since you were down there, visiting that place, I'm hereby nominating that rendition, with any Zep lyrics overlaid, for BK777's Guitarist (cover of Stairway') Challenge. It would be no contest.

And thx for the YouTube detour; looking for that A-min walkdown, running into a version of Funny Valentine by Joe Pass.

This is a real challenge on acoustic FB and well done for giving it a go particularly as the song was written for trumpet a la Chet Baker or Miles Davis.

It is however a beautiful song and you have done it justice. It is interesting that there are no guitar covers on You Tube not even on electric but I think that Barney Kessel (were he still around) could have done it. Perhaps it might be an idea for you FB if you have a Gibson Byrdland or other to hand!

Archived