Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

A night to remember for us. Place was packed when I got there at 6, they didn't start leaving until the end of the 4th set. Really happy crowd, lots of dancing and yelling.

Our old drummer was there tonight. He did really great. We've rehearsed a couple times with him last couple weeks and he really brought it. Everyone sang well, only minor train accidents, no trainwrecks. A great night.

My award winning world famous photography, set list:

setlist1020.jpg

The rig. Man. Junky, stock except for straplocks garden variety ordinary Black Mexican Strat White Pearl pickguard one piece maple. Truly a joy to play that thing is. Used it for three, the other is Chris Shiflett Tele Deluxe. Shoreline Gold as you can see from the fabulous color saturation. 12" radius, two buckers, switch up top, two volume, two tone. It's my Goldtop. nyuck nyuck nyuck.

guitars1020.jpg

rct

• Upvote 3

Played a really cool gig tonight at a Rams Head. Some of the other Rams Head locations get some major, big-name acts, but this Rams Head Dockside is more of a local bar. In addition to playing 3 set of music, and MCing in between sets, we got to judge a Halloween costume contest. Great night and great crowd. Now I'm gonna enjoy a glass of bourbon and go to bed. cool.gif

• Upvote 2

Nice! That sounds like a hoot.

This is our Rams Head. Right around the corner, we'll eat there next week, our 38th. We have a new place up in Philly to go to that Friday so we are just taking it easy for our day, stop at Rams Head on the way home. Service is iffy, food is always good American grub done really well, and they know how to make a cocktail.

https://www.ramsheadinn.com/

rct

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome night at the local pub with 3 local bands playing a 60 min set each of original alternate rock. Went on last at 10pm and played like we owned the joint, and the crowd responded. Even got paid which is unusual for bands not doing covers. Very satisfying gig! A bit of reheated pasta leftovers and a shot or two of the good stuff and off to bed.

Didn't just get in, but got home late last night from a gig in Fenwick Island Delaware at The Lobster Shanty. My wife and I went down to Ocean City the night before and stayed overnight and then I sat in with an old friend who just released a CD of his original songs. I used to play with him about 5 years ago and remembered playing some of his originals, but I had to do a quick cram session to get ready. We did a bunch of his originals and a bunch of covers too. Good crowd of mostly his local friends and family. Then it was a three hour drive home.

• 4 weeks later...

Got in late last night from a strange gig. A nice place called Bar Louie. We were looking forward to a great night with a big crowd, but then the NFL changed the schedule to have the Ravens play Saturday night right when we were booked.

So, a portion of our crowd probably stayed home to watch the game and much of the bar crowd was there to watch it also. Even so, we had a pretty good night and had people dancing and cheering while also keeping an eye on the TV to see the Ravens beat the Chargers. msp_thumbup.gif

Then, just at the end of our final set, with 2 songs to go, the bass player/sound man and another band member go into a heated argument over some feedback issues. Something to do with a wireless unit was causing it. Anyway, we finished the set and they continued arguing during the break-down and the bass player ended up storming out saying he quit. He's one of the best bass players in the state and a professional sound guy who is in charge of sound at Nationals Stadium and also runs sound for Paul Reed Smith Band. It will be hard to replace him.

Oh well, it was a good band while it lasted. msp_crying.gif

Edited by saturn

• 2 weeks later...

Whew.

Just got back from my New Years Eve gig.

About 100 mile round trip. I'm exhausted.

It went ok, a good time was had by all. 3 sets, Big Ben at midnight, Auld Lang Syne, etc.

Best wishes to all for more live music and playing in 2019!

Edited by jdgm

• 4 weeks later...

Time to bump this thread.

Played our first gig tonight since the drama of our last gig. Our bass player stayed, but we lost the other guitar player. I feel bad for the guy, but it was so much easier playing as a 5 piece rather than 6 piece band. More space to set up and our sound was much cleaner. I could actually hear my own amp for a change.

Place was packed and they loved us. They didn't want us to stop. Now I'm home and having a glass of Sagamore Rye ( or band name is Sagamore Band) and hitting the bed. Played an acoustic gig last night and haven't gotten much sleep lately.

Just an open mic, but I'll pretend I'm playing with the big boys... I'm north of 50 and this was my second open mic ever - and I rocked it! Got the toes tappin with 'Blister in the sun', a little more swaying with Tom Petty's 'Mary Janes Last Dance' and brought the house down with an original 'Had a run in with a POS today'. Got invited to a couple other open mics, and with comments like, wow that was loud, and nice shirt - I'd say it was an overwhelming success!

• Upvote 1

Getting in from another acoustic gig. We opened for the main act, a band from New Jersey called Garden State Radio. Even though it is freezing and icy, the place had a good crowd and we played a good 4 hours. Stuck around awhile to see GSR play. Overall a great night. I wish all our gigs could be like his,

Now I'll pour a little Basil Hayden's and relax.

Edited by saturn

last night opened for Stone Senate, a band out of Nashville. played 1 1/2 hrs then kicked back and listened to them. great band, great bunch of guys.

20190131-093252.jpg

"Southbound"...I'd like to do that or "Jessica" - you got a keyboard player?

Wasn't really a gig. But I went to an Open Mic tonight to support a friend of mine who was going to play. I also knew the guy hosting the OM in the bar. My buddy was nervous but did pretty good barring a few rough spots. There were some other good players too.

I didn't plan on playing, but the host talked me into getting up there. I used his guitar and played one classical piece called Spanish Ballad. Then a really good bass player, who I just met there, joined me and we did "Pride and Joy" and "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (SRV style). I did vocals on both. I think I did pretty good even though all he had was a thin pick for me to use.

Side note: One of the guys playing had a new Fender Acoustasonic. He let me mess with it a little. It was super light and played well, but I thought it sounded a little tinty when he played it plugged in. I'm not sure what setting he had it on.

• Upvote 1

Played at Wallace Coleman's birthday party. He played harp for Robert Jr. Lockwood for 10 years. There were like 20 blues musicians there and everybody got to get up and play a few tunes. I'm on the far left in the back row. Wallace's guitar player used my new Les Paul for the second set!

51440199_1864918120301874_7797025578380427264_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=a412ebfa6f1cae716e29c583ab5b253f&oe=5D00235F

Video of the finale with all five harp players!!

Here's some actual footage of me playing. I'm stage left.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Upvote 1

Played at Wallace Coleman's birthday party. He played harp for Robert Jr. Lockwood for 10 years. There were like 20 blues musicians there and everybody got to get up and play a few tunes. I'm on the far left in the back row. Wallace's guitar player used my new Les Paul for the second set!

51440199_1864918120301874_7797025578380427264_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=a412ebfa6f1cae716e29c583ab5b253f&oe=5D00235F

Pretty awesome!!! Did you pick any songs, which ones?

...and we did "Pride and Joy" and "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (SRV style). I did vocals on both. I think I did pretty good even though all he had was a thin pick for me to use.

Props for SRV, Double Props for Mary Had a Little Lamb... I've just begun to muscle through cobbling a solo together (acoustic style) - oooof, 2 yrs work I figure. If you ever get a hankerin, would love to hear a cover.

• 1 month later...

Played a good one tonight.

Bar Louie. A pre St Paddy's Day party and a cancer awareness fund raiser. Awesome crowd and great dancers. Plus a friend of the bass player, who sings in a southern rock Molly Hatchet cover band got up to jam with us. We winged versions of One Way Out and Pride and Joy. He played some good harp too.

Time now for some Woodford Reserve. Good night all.....

Played a cannabis event today. It was called Highrish Festival. Lot's of vendors from the industry. We played great, but came on towards the end of the night. Many people had left by that time, so in some ways it was like a paid rehearsal for us.

• Upvote 1

Played a cannabis event today. It was called Highrish Festival. Lot's of vendors from the industry. We played great, but came on towards the end of the night. Many people had left by that time, so in some ways it was like a paid rehearsal for us.

Bummer about not getting the crowds, but something paid is still something good. Just wondering, what music seems to go over well for a cannabis event?

back in the day every gig was a cannabis event, lol.

Bummer about not getting the crowds, but something paid is still something good. Just wondering, what music seems to go over well for a cannabis event?

Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, Hot Tuna, Traffic, Floyd, Spirit, Zep ... and others.