Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

Bummer about not getting the crowds, but something paid is still something good. Just wondering, what music seems to go over well for a cannabis event?

Well, the organizer of the event is the sister-in-law of our keyboard player. Besides us, there was a bagpipe player and a trio playing Irish style music who played earlier.

We did our normal style sets which includes some rock, R and B, funk, dance etc. The guy from Molly Hatchet tribute band was there again and we jammed some more Allman Brothers, SRV, Black Crows and Lynyrd Skynyrd. No Molly Hatchet though. rolleyes.gif

Just back from my 1st gig this year.

I've copied the following from a previous entry (page 10) as it is completely relevant - same pub, same gear setup:

Back at the pub in Salisbury tonight. Some very good moments....and some not-so-good ones too.

Was very pleased with the tone I am getting out of my rebuilt Vox AC10 head.

Obviously with an amp that small, there's no clean headroom but it takes pedals wonderfully and has its own particular grainy tone.

I use a Marshall Reflector reverb pedal as it has no reverb, though it does have the Vox tremelo.

Overdrive and distortions come from a VS Route 66 and an Xotic AC+.

As this band NEVER rehearses (see previous entries) it was a bit rough but we went down ok.

We are still looking for a new singer. The one we have is a very nice guy but is the full-time carer for his heavily disabled son (he brought wife and son with him this evening) and will not rehearse.

So things get forgotten....tonight he played the whole of "Call Me The Breeze" in the wrong key.

Best wishes to all!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

So things get forgotten....tonight he played the whole of "Call Me The Breeze" in the wrong key.

Does he have ears? Jeez, I've played plenty of stuff out of key for a short time but after a few chords I can hear something's not right. rolleyes.gif

But, good on getting that first years gig in. msp_thumbup.gif

3am and getting in from a gig sitting in with my old band. The new guitar player had a conflict, so I filled in. It very smooth and we all played well together. Almost like we never stopped. Gig was a good hour and a half away in Taneytown MD which is why I'm home so late.

I did have to learn some new material since I last played with them. Considering we never rehearsed the tunes together it was really good. The "new" songs were Separate Ways - Journey, Forget You - Celo Green, Hot Stuff - Donna Summer, and But It's Alright - Huey Lewis. I know, quite a mix, right! rolleyes.gif

Should I have some Woodford Reserve or just go straight to bed? Dumb question. (Pours drink.....) cool.gif

Edited by saturn

• 4 months later...

Fri  16 Aug, Sat 17 Aug:

1st 2 gigs with our new singer.  This guy is the best yet IMO by far - not to take anything away from our last singer.

Friday night was a lot of fun and (obviously) pretty rough in places. Tonight was tighter,  even more fun and we are all VERY pleased with the way it's shaping up.  It's going to work!!

I've mashed up the 3rd finger on my left hand too,  but it didn't affect my playing. 

Now achieving some of the best guitar tones I've ever got live (including a clean boost from the Boss GE-7); for me, valve amps still rule.

We even did "Folsom Prison Blues".   We need about 10 more songs.

Next rehearsal in 2 weeks, then 2 gigs in September including  Southampton "Music in the City". 

I'm so pleased; and a bit too excited to sleep.

Best wishes to all!

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Fri  16 Aug, Sat 17 Aug:

1st 2 gigs with our new singer.  This guy is the best yet IMO by far - not to take anything away from our last singer.

Friday night was a lot of fun and (obviously) pretty rough in places. Tonight was tighter,  even more fun and we are all VERY pleased with the way it's shaping up.  It's going to work!!

I've mashed up the 3rd finger on my left hand too,  but it didn't affect my playing. 

Now achieving some of the best guitar tones I've ever got live (including a clean boost from the Boss GE-7); for me, valve amps still rule.

We even did "Folsom Prison Blues".   We need about 10 more songs.

Next rehearsal in 2 weeks, then 2 gigs in September including  Southampton "Music in the City". 

I'm so pleased; and a bit too excited to sleep.

Best wishes to all!

[thumbup]

That's really good to hear man after all of the hassles and strife... Worth all the effort in the end, may it long continue  [thumbup]

• Like 1

JDGM - glad to hear the new singer is working out well, wish you all good things gigging in the future, you have suffered enough bad times over the past year or so.

Afraid my band may not be performing much anymore.  Drummer said he is tired of loading out and setting up his equipment.  He uses electronic drums that are more complicated to set up than acoustic ones, stereo cables everywhere etc.  And he is also our sound man so he has the mixer to haul, we usually use house PA where we play, but he does do the bulk of the set up and tear down work so I can't blame him.

We have recorded a few songs, and will continue to do that I guess, but I am not big on rehearsing if there is no performance on the horizon.  We'll see what happens.

Just got in from a gig at a local winery called Basignani.  It's actually been my mine and my wife's favorite Maryland wine for many years,, so it was a nice surprise when my band started getting booked to play there.  

We were outdoors but under cover. Good crowd and pretty easy as gigs go. Only 2 sets and we were done by 9pm. Only negative was that I had to drive some windy, hilly roads in the fog on the way home. 

So now a little bourbon and to bed. Have acoustic gig tomorrow and another band gig Sunday.  

Asked to join a gig, arrived in with the clean amp, pedal board and LP...they are playing trad music, ah jaysus.

Done some country chords and the was asked "have one?" Hit the od pedal launched straight into Cocaine and took it from there.

Good night. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Played on Friday night, first time we done Tennessee Whiskey  seemed to go down well.  We play with two acoustics and two electrics, our regular second lead has turned out to be ****  again, so I`m done with him, had a new fella.,  big Rory Gallagher devotee.

Worked out grand for the most part but stop with the musical masturbation ! Had to put my hand out a few times to tell him to stop, leave space and listen.

He is used playing as the only guitar in the band so it`s new for him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played a Bar Louie tonight. Good gig and great crowd. Only snafu was when keyboard player/ singer decided to spontaneously try some disco song ( Get Down On It ) that we never even rehearsed.  

Now gonna have some Basil Hayden's and get to bed.

Missing two tonight but played on with another guitarist who tried at times some  songs in a different key until I shouted out.

Good fun and we had a good laugh doing things a bit different. Even had a guy  working his air guitar on my solo.

Edited by Mutha
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 12:13 AM, saturn said:

Does he have ears? Jeez, I've played plenty of stuff out of key for a short time but after a few chords I can hear something's not right. rolleyes.gif

But, good on getting that first years gig in. msp_thumbup.gif

10 years back we played Too Rolling Stoned by Trower. we play it in C. something was off. 1/2 thru the tune I realized the keyboardist was in a different key. walked over during my solo and asked him "what key are you in ?" he said "B". told him we play it in C, Tim ... and this is after 2 years of him playing it in C along with us.  we all screw up from time to time,  but ...

Edited by Karloff

7 hours ago, Karloff said:

10 years back we played Too Rolling Stoned by Trower. we play it in C. something was off. 1/2 thru the tune I realized the keyboardist was in a different key. walked over during my solo and asked him "what key are you in ?" he said "B". told him we play it in C, Tim ... and this is after 2 years of him playing it in C along with us.  we all screw up from time to time,  but ...

Yeah, it happens. I've been fortunate to have played with some really solid bass players, who are almost always perfect. But there have been a few times when even they have played something out of key, and that really throws me for a loop. I hear something off and just assume it must be me cause they never mess up. [biggrin]

I played a fifth gig of the summer on Dafuskie Island, SC (USA) yesterday. We played from 1 to 5 PM. Our 6 man band is named The Walker Harris Boys (formerly The Walker Harris Band). We acquired a bass player with the last name of Boys last winter, hence the change. It was a glorious day outdoors. The venue, fun, camaraderie, and audience reaction were all fantastic. Mistakes were made by each of us, but no one criticized anyone. That's the fantastic dynamic among our band members. There is a 1 hour ferry trip to & from the island venue that is very pleasant. I consider myself very, very lucky.

www.facebook.com/OldDaufuskieCrabCompany/

www.facebook.com/Walkerharrisband

l-r below: Matt DiBenidetto (drums),Jeff Harris (guitar, vocals),Donnie Schlieger(vocals),Paul Good(guitar,vocals,harmonica),Eddie Boys(bass),Tom Walker(me, guitar)

72281335_2538985079527677_5149615815959511040_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQkbU7uq5cBoSS3E66-4vTmJmriD71BnVGCEYaEhXlTlJWXg_O618RBJIdK8m0hT_lI&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=5a7d321c9a4a496f56891ced6c558691&oe=5E1E59B3

Setlist

• Sweet Home Chicago  E
  • Lay Down Sally  A
  • Listen To The Music  E
  • Melissa  E
  • Rikki Don't Lose That Number  D
  • Can't You See  D
  • Midnight Rider  C
  • I'm No Angel E
  • One Way Out  A
  • Just What I Needed E
  • In Memory of Elizabeth Reed  Am
  • Revival A
  • Running on Empty A
  • The Weight  G
  • Sweet Home Alabama
  • Take It Easy  G
  • Peaceful Easy Feeling  E
  • Already Gone G
  • Ohio  C 
  • There Goes Another Love Song  G
  • Sultans of Swing  Dm
  • Blue Sky   E 
  • Honeysuckle Blue  A
  • Long Train Runnin  Gm
  • Knockin On Heavens Door G
  • Up On Cripple Creek  A
  • Down By The River  Em 
  • Funk #49   A 
  • Simple Man  C 
  • Gimme Three Steps  D   
  • Feelin Alright  C          
  • Mary Jane's Last Dance  Am 
  •  American Girl D
  • The Boys Are Back In Town A
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tlwwalker said:

I played a fifth gig of the summer on Dafuskie Island, SC (USA) yesterday. We played from 1 to 5 PM. Our 6 man band is named The Walker Harris Boys (formerly The Walker Harris Band). We acquired a bass player with the last name of Boys last winter, hence the change. It was a glorious day outdoors. The venue, fun, camaraderie, and audience reaction were all fantastic. Mistakes were made by each of us, but no one criticized anyone. That's the fantastic dynamic among our band members. There is a 1 hour ferry trip to & from the island venue that is very pleasant. I consider myself very, very lucky.

Sounds very cool - quite the set list

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just getting in from a pre Thanksgiving gig. Awesome night and great crowd. Place called Liquid Libs and it's a pretty upscale restaurant/bar. 

Only downer of the night.....5 minutes before our start time, my Desert Burst Les Paul Studio+ got knocked over and the dreaded headstock crack occurred.  I had to use the other guitar players Music Man guitar and I was the sole guitar player tonight while he played sax and percussion all night  Hopefully it can be fixed. No use getting mad. It was a freak accident.

BkPpT7Km.jpgsKns8nMm.jpg

Nothing to do now but pour a little Woodford Reserve and get to bed.

Edited by saturn
add info

6 hours ago, saturn said:

Only downer of the night.....5 minutes before our start time, my Desert Burst Les Paul Studio+ got knocked over and the dreaded headstock crack occurred.  I had to use the other guitar players Music Man guitar and I was the sole guitar player tonight while he played sax and percussion all night  Hopefully it can be fixed. No use getting mad. It was a freak accident.

Bummer Saturn, seems like you're taking it in stride (good for you!) and good luck with fixing it.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:20 PM, saturn said:

Well, just getting in from a pre Thanksgiving gig. Awesome night and great crowd. Place called Liquid Libs and it's a pretty upscale restaurant/bar. 

BkPpT7Km.jpgsKns8nMm.jpg

Nothing to do now but pour a little Woodford Reserve and get to bed.

Oh dang, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it can be fixed. You made the best of it though. You had a good gig and a great attitude about the mishap.

We played last night to nearly empty venue because they forgot to advertise it.

No worries I said, they apologized and we got a few beers thrown in. Used it as a practice and we had fun, played some new songs.

Played a Irish song that is our Freebird, first half slow and then whack it right up, think we put eight minutes on that.

All in all a good night and they promised to sort it for next month.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't gig often so I don't post here.   But that changed this weekend,  I was offered a gig as a member of a 20 pc orchestra this past fall.  They were looking to add a guitarist to the rythm section which previously was Piano, Bass and Drums.   I jumped at the offer.  It's just so different for me to be doing music like this (Jazz, Swing, Big Band stuff, some broadway tunes here and there).

Along with the 20 pc orchestra is a 60+ voice chorale group.  This outfit does about 3 shows/concerts a year, profits are donated to charities in the area.  (However, the musicians are paid)

The annual Christmas concert for this Chorale group was Sunday afternoon at the city hall in my home town.  Good crowd showed up, and they were very enthusiastic.

The concert went off with out a hitch, I had a total blast.  I even got to do a few quick solos during the Rob Sterling arrangement of Vince Guaraldi's Christmas Time Is Here, which corny as it sounds, is one my favorite Christmas songs. 

Despite the fact that there's close to if not more than 80 ppl in this setup, they are a very welcoming crew.  I seemed to hit if off great with the Bass player, great guy and extremely good..  I already know the Pianist very well and he is a monster.   Next concert is this spring, I'm really looking forward to more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, saturn said:

Oh man, I hate that that happened, good sir. 

We played a really large Christmas party in our aviation hangar yesterday. 
Great food, fun, kid's activities, and of course, live music (me and my band-mates).
600 people in attendance, so the crowd was just right. 

I always bring more guitars than I need, as a rule, mainly for those unforeseen accidents like you had, Jay. 
But this time, I kept it down to three;
My Luna bamboo acoustic/electric, the Zombie Tech Telecaster that Danny Matthews built for me just a year ago, and my Austin Les Paul copy.

Luckily, nothing fell over, nothing broke, and all three guitars made it into the sets. 

I'll post some pictures and maybe some video next week. 
(The organization hosting the party had two staff photographers/videographers capturing all the festivities, and there's bound to be some good images and video. I'll be able to access all that by Monday.)

:)

• Thanks 1