Gibson Brands Forums
saturn

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

Bummer about not getting the crowds, but something paid is still something good. Just wondering, what music seems to go over well for a cannabis event?

Well, the organizer of the event is the sister-in-law of our keyboard player. Besides us, there was a bagpipe player and a trio playing Irish style music who played earlier.

We did our normal style sets which includes some rock, R and B, funk, dance etc. The guy from Molly Hatchet tribute band was there again and we jammed some more Allman Brothers, SRV, Black Crows and Lynyrd Skynyrd. No Molly Hatchet though. rolleyes.gif

Just back from my 1st gig this year.

I've copied the following from a previous entry (page 10) as it is completely relevant - same pub, same gear setup:

Back at the pub in Salisbury tonight. Some very good moments....and some not-so-good ones too.

Was very pleased with the tone I am getting out of my rebuilt Vox AC10 head.

Obviously with an amp that small, there's no clean headroom but it takes pedals wonderfully and has its own particular grainy tone.

I use a Marshall Reflector reverb pedal as it has no reverb, though it does have the Vox tremelo.

Overdrive and distortions come from a VS Route 66 and an Xotic AC+.

As this band NEVER rehearses (see previous entries) it was a bit rough but we went down ok.

We are still looking for a new singer. The one we have is a very nice guy but is the full-time carer for his heavily disabled son (he brought wife and son with him this evening) and will not rehearse.

So things get forgotten....tonight he played the whole of "Call Me The Breeze" in the wrong key.

Best wishes to all!

Edited by jdgm

So things get forgotten....tonight he played the whole of "Call Me The Breeze" in the wrong key.

Does he have ears? Jeez, I've played plenty of stuff out of key for a short time but after a few chords I can hear something's not right. rolleyes.gif

But, good on getting that first years gig in. msp_thumbup.gif

3am and getting in from a gig sitting in with my old band. The new guitar player had a conflict, so I filled in. It very smooth and we all played well together. Almost like we never stopped. Gig was a good hour and a half away in Taneytown MD which is why I'm home so late.

I did have to learn some new material since I last played with them. Considering we never rehearsed the tunes together it was really good. The "new" songs were Separate Ways - Journey, Forget You - Celo Green, Hot Stuff - Donna Summer, and But It's Alright - Huey Lewis. I know, quite a mix, right! rolleyes.gif

Should I have some Woodford Reserve or just go straight to bed? Dumb question. (Pours drink.....) cool.gif

Edited by saturn

Fri  16 Aug, Sat 17 Aug:

1st 2 gigs with our new singer.  This guy is the best yet IMO by far - not to take anything away from our last singer.

Friday night was a lot of fun and (obviously) pretty rough in places. Tonight was tighter,  even more fun and we are all VERY pleased with the way it's shaping up.  It's going to work!!

I've mashed up the 3rd finger on my left hand too,  but it didn't affect my playing. 

Now achieving some of the best guitar tones I've ever got live (including a clean boost from the Boss GE-7); for me, valve amps still rule.

We even did "Folsom Prison Blues".   We need about 10 more songs.

Next rehearsal in 2 weeks, then 2 gigs in September including  Southampton "Music in the City". 

I'm so pleased; and a bit too excited to sleep.

Best wishes to all!

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Fri  16 Aug, Sat 17 Aug:

1st 2 gigs with our new singer.  This guy is the best yet IMO by far - not to take anything away from our last singer.

Friday night was a lot of fun and (obviously) pretty rough in places. Tonight was tighter,  even more fun and we are all VERY pleased with the way it's shaping up.  It's going to work!!

I've mashed up the 3rd finger on my left hand too,  but it didn't affect my playing. 

Now achieving some of the best guitar tones I've ever got live (including a clean boost from the Boss GE-7); for me, valve amps still rule.

We even did "Folsom Prison Blues".   We need about 10 more songs.

Next rehearsal in 2 weeks, then 2 gigs in September including  Southampton "Music in the City". 

I'm so pleased; and a bit too excited to sleep.

Best wishes to all!

[thumbup]

That's really good to hear man after all of the hassles and strife... Worth all the effort in the end, may it long continue  [thumbup]

• Like 1

JDGM - glad to hear the new singer is working out well, wish you all good things gigging in the future, you have suffered enough bad times over the past year or so.

Afraid my band may not be performing much anymore.  Drummer said he is tired of loading out and setting up his equipment.  He uses electronic drums that are more complicated to set up than acoustic ones, stereo cables everywhere etc.  And he is also our sound man so he has the mixer to haul, we usually use house PA where we play, but he does do the bulk of the set up and tear down work so I can't blame him.

We have recorded a few songs, and will continue to do that I guess, but I am not big on rehearsing if there is no performance on the horizon.  We'll see what happens.

Just got in from a gig at a local winery called Basignani.  It's actually been my mine and my wife's favorite Maryland wine for many years,, so it was a nice surprise when my band started getting booked to play there.  

We were outdoors but under cover. Good crowd and pretty easy as gigs go. Only 2 sets and we were done by 9pm. Only negative was that I had to drive some windy, hilly roads in the fog on the way home. 

So now a little bourbon and to bed. Have acoustic gig tomorrow and another band gig Sunday.  

Asked to join a gig, arrived in with the clean amp, pedal board and LP...they are playing trad music, ah jaysus.

Done some country chords and the was asked "have one?" Hit the od pedal launched straight into Cocaine and took it from there.

Good night.