Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

On 1/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, saturn said:

Played my first gig using my new PRS amp tonight. I'll give a little update the amp review for Karloff in m NAD thread tomorrow.For now I'll just post the set list since it's been awhile for that. 

orABKxV.jpg

Wow - What a show !!   Great set list.   Songs like  "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" -   just old fashioned good time fun, Rock & Roll.  What we need more of today.  Keep it up !  

On 6/21/2020 at 5:27 AM, saturn said:

It almost felt like a pre-pandemic weekend. Played a band gig Thursday night, acoustic Friday and another full band gig tonight. 

Tonight was almost rained out because it was outdoors at a winery. Luckily weather cleared up and it turned out to be a beautiful night and a big crowd. We're a little rusty, even after a few rehearsals, but we still did pretty good and everyone had a great time. Best thing is that on all these gigs people were just there to have some fun.  No divisive crap.         

Lucky man.  In UK at lockdown all my gigs for the rest of the year  (and that was all my gigs!) were cancelled. 

They are discussing now whether to reopen pubs and bars in July but with some social distancing measures. There won't be any live music though as the pubs/bars are in a real fight to survive economically - it was bad enough before all this started.

I have no idea when/if either of my bands will play live again. [sad]

Edited by jdgm

25 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Lucky man.  In UK at lockdown all my gigs for the rest of the year  (and that was all my gigs!) were cancelled. 

They are discussing now whether to reopen pubs and bars in July but with some social distancing measures. There won't be any live music though as the pubs/bars are in a real fight to survive economically - it was bad enough before all this started.

I have no idea when/if either of my bands will play live again. [sad]

in Mass-achu-zetts,   the Gov'nr moved bars to phase 4.  My hunch is 80% of those rooms will never reopen. 

Live music is on it's last legs in these parts, and it was pretty tough sledding before any of this happened. 

TBH, the money even before this was hardly worth the effort.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

in Mass-achu-zetts,   the Gov'nr moved bars to phase 4.  My hunch is 80% of those rooms will never reopen. 

Live music is on it's last legs in these parts, and it was pretty tough sledding before any of this happened. 

TBH, the money even before this was hardly worth the effort.

I know KB...  it's gotta be because you want to do it, not because you want / need money, not in these parts anyways.  

36 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I know KB...  it's gotta be because you want to do it, not because you want / need money, not in these parts anyways.  

at my Age Unc, I am not sure I even WANT to do the bars and pubs any more...

Guess  I'm kind of "over it"   had a good run  but nothin lasts forever.

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

at my Age Unc, I am not sure I even WANT to do the bars and pubs any more...

Guess  I'm kind of "over it"   had a good run  but nothin lasts forever.

It might be time time for you to host your own performance club..

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

It might be time time for you to host your own performance club..

It would truly be my own too.  Bars and Clubs in this state can't open till there is a proven treatment, or vaccine (Phase 4)  🙂 

37 minutes ago, kidblast said:

It would truly be my own too.  Bars and Clubs in this state can't open till there is a proven treatment, or vaccine (Phase 4)  🙂 

With the population density of cities in the east that would make sense, unfortunately. Any flat roofs in the area..?

43 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

With the population density of cities in the east that would make sense, unfortunately. Any flat roofs in the area..?

there's dinning establishments that have outdoor seating, and of those, a handful that routinely had solo and small acts until the seasons change and was no longer in use.  (late fall/winter)

But it seems most of those are out of business now due to Covid.  The entertainment industry in the surrounding area has been just about eliminated and will have to rebuild.  It is what it is..

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

there's dinning establishments that have outdoor seating, and of those, a handful that routinely had solo and small acts until the seasons change and was no longer in use.  (late fall/winter)

But it seems most of those are out of business now due to Covid.  The entertainment industry in the surrounding area has been just about eliminated and will have to rebuild.  It is what it is..

A couple places had live music over the weekend.  solo acoustic acts for places with outdoor seating...  requiring reservations and all that comes with right now, but it was live music.  Baby steps.

The number of live venues round here has dwindled over the years (it used to be amazing!) so paid/public gigs are not regular for most bands who tend to do party gigs or diy shows at halls. The pubs are open again and getting back to normal but no live music on the horizon just yet.

we pulled a 'crowd' of 9 or 10  [laugh] to our last rehearsal and hopefully the same or more this weekend coming, which at least gives the adrenaline a shove and it's good to test new stuff and see if you get a few cheers. The regular rehearsal studio is back open so maybe we'll go back there after this weekend. Once live music is back in pubs I will make the effort to go in and watch bands regularly even if just for an hour and hope that others do too so we can help ensure we don't lose live music in venues after this.

• 4 weeks later...

So we played another local winery last night. We've played Basignani before but this was our first time playing at DeJon.  Other than being hot as hell it was a beautiful night. 

They had brick over pizza and wine by the bottle or glass for sale. They allowed other non-alcohol drinks to be brought in. Had a great crowd. They are happy for some place to get out and have fun while still keep some distance from each other. Big area in from of the band for people to spread out and dance. With the exception of a few technical glitches our sound was about perfect. The set was pretty much same as last time but we did add the Earth Wind and Fire version of Got To Get You In To My Life.

I'm still getting used to my new PRS amp. Generally very happy with it but the Lead channel is very noisy. I'm gonna try switching the pre amp tube and hope that's it. I've mostly been relying on the OD pedal for distorted tones but I like to use the amp for high gain if I can.   

55 minutes ago, saturn said:

So we played another local winery last night. We've played Basignani before but this was our first time playing at DeJon.  Other than being hot as hell it was a beautiful night. 

They had brick over pizza and wine by the bottle or glass for sale. They allowed other non-alcohol drinks to be brought in. Had a great crowd. They are happy for some place to get out and have fun while still keep some distance from each other. Big area in from of the band for people to spread out and dance. With the exception of a few technical glitches our sound was about perfect. The set was pretty much same as last time but we did add the Earth Wind and Fire version of Got To Get You In To My Life.

I'm still getting used to my new PRS amp. Generally very happy with it but the Lead channel is very noisy. I'm gonna try switching the pre amp tube and hope that's it. I've mostly been relying on the OD pedal for distorted tones but I like to use the amp for high gain if I can.   

Seems like wide open spread out is the key.  Good for you for finding a place to strut your stuff.   Good luck w/ the PRS amp, interested to hear how changing the pre amp tube works.

• 1 month later...

Played another gig tonight at the golf course. We have one Thursday a month booked there. Crowd was great tonight. Cars were parking out by the road cause all the spaces were taken. That's a good sign. Lots of nice dancers which is nice.

As far as music. Well we played pretty much same set as always with addition of Tin Man and Motown  style of Proud Mary. Big difference for me was I borrowed my friends Strat tonight. I haven't played a Strat with a band in years. It took some getting used to. It's about a 1981 natural blonde with a maple neck. The neck is blade thin and has a serious radius. Man I forgot how much I missed that quack! Plus those single coils really cut through the mix. I did play a set with my Les Paul too, and the difference was very noticeable. I love the feel of the LP and for some songs the sound is great, but on other songs it seems to get lost in the mix. Many of the songs this band plays are more suited for a Strat sound. Hmmm. :-k

Well, it;s appropriate, Our band name is Sagamore Band, so I'll have some Sagamore Rye before I go to bed. 🥃

Edited by saturn

5 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That's where I'm at now.  I had a run where I was getting kind of big gigs.  Now that's over and I don't want to go back.  I've been recording at home for fun. 

yea, I  don't miss the hassle factor, (haulin, setup, load out)  it's not as much fun as it used to be.  Crowds are different, the whole thing,  just different, the money sucks.

then there's the fact that we were usually getting ready to start the first set at the same time these days when I'm seriously thinking about my pillow....   !LOL! 

Edited by kidblast

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

yea, I  don't miss the hassle factor, (haulin, setup, load out)  it's not as much fun as it used to be.  Crowds are different, the whole thing,  just different, the money sucks.

then there's the fact that we were usually getting ready to start the first set at the same time these days when I'm seriously thinking about my pillow....   !LOL! 

yep. I remember when my night didn't even really start till 11 pm. now if I don't have a gig I'm in bed at 9 thinking my God this is beautiful ...

I miss it, really miss it but I`m only a rookie.

We had three days last week  and it became apparent very quickly that only the bass player and myself had kept up the practice.

Lot of snarling on my part.

Bass player reckons we need a new band.

We did a frontyard concert today.  After the rain cleared out, a couple of my friends came over and we set-up my Yamaha unit in the driveway and started playing some songs.  I've done porch concerts quite a few times, but never at my own house.  Anyway, we had a bunch of neighbors walk over and several cars stopped and they got out and listened.  My buddy's wife said she counted forty-two people at one point.  Of course, it's not like they stayed the entire time....lol....but once we'd been playing a half-hour or so there were always 20-25 people hanging around.  Some folks came with their lawn chairs.   It was fun playing.  I may do that again.   So far, the homeowners association hasn't contacted me.....lol....I figure if anyone bi tch es about it, it's because they don't play music.

Heh heh.  Yes, similar here as we played for about 8 -10 people at rehearsal on the bassists deck yesterday, one of whom made a cake with local, umm.....ingredients, which made for an enthusiastic, if sedate, audience. [wink]

We might invite other bands to join in these in the future to play a set each whilst no proper gigs available.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm the only one around here who's getting real gigs. I'm not trying to rub it in. [blush] Actually had three gigs in a row this week. Played the golf course Thursday, acoustic gig Friday and then tonight at Baltimore Yacht Club.

As you probably can guess, it was on the water. It was windy and already the temperature is dropping. We were a little chilly. But it was an awesome night. There's a long time local newscaster who is a friend of the band, and he has been trying to get us to play the club for awhile now. We had a gig booked for July 3rd but that got canceled due to Corona virus. So we played a private party tonight and it went great.  They booked us for some more dates on the spot.  Some of the members wanted me to hang out and party some more on their boat after the gig, but I thought that wasn't the best idea. Tempting as it was.  [cool] 

Here is a view of the scenery and stage.

COVrb7h.jpg

ArEUoG9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saturn said:

I feel like I'm the only one around here who's getting real gigs. I'm not trying to rub it in. [blush] Actually had three gigs in a row this week. Played the golf course Thursday, acoustic gig Friday and then tonight at Baltimore Yacht Club.

As you probably can guess, it was on the water. It was windy and already the temperature is dropping. We were a little chilly. But it was an awesome night. There's a long time local newscaster who is a friend of the band, and he has been trying to get us to play the club for awhile now. We had a gig booked for July 3rd but that got canceled due to Corona virus. So we played a private party tonight and it went great.  They booked us for some more dates on the spot.  Some of the members wanted me to hang out and party some more on their boat after the gig, but I thought that wasn't the best idea. Tempting as it was.  [cool] 

Here is a view of the scenery and stage.

COVrb7h.jpg

ArEUoG9.jpg

Very cool Saturn, we've got a long ways to go, but some things are starting to get figured out.  Love to hear of any gigs, and 3 in week - woo hoo!  And what a spot!

• 1 month later...

Just played what will likely be my last gig of 2020. An acoustic gig at our favorite local spot Crabtowne. Our state and counties are starting to impose more restrictions and lockdowns again, so we were lucky to squeeze this one in. I have 2 more gigs booked with my full band and acoustic duo, but both look like they won't happen.

Tonight went well, even though the place was restricted to 50% capacity. We had some friends there and the normal crowd was fun. However by the end f the night we were playing to only the staff. But we got paid and the bar tender set us up good ( we tipped him well).  Here's hoping we can all play some more 2021. 

• 4 months later...

Had a fun gig rocking out at a local pub tonight. 80-100 people I'd guess who showed up for a night of original rock. Two bands on before us got things going nicely and we had a decent 50 min set with no major issues. Damned good to see the scene starting to pick up again (first indoor gig at this pub for a year...and they were ready for it!).

Feels good guys! - hope it all comes your way again soon too. [thumbup]

• Like 2