Gibson Brands Forums
saturn

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

It almost felt like a pre-pandemic weekend. Played a band gig Thursday night, acoustic Friday and another full band gig tonight. 

Tonight was almost rained out because it was outdoors at a winery. Luckily weather cleared up and it turned out to be a beautiful night and a big crowd. We're a little rusty, even after a few rehearsals, but we still did pretty good and everyone had a great time. Best thing is that on all these gigs people were just there to have some fun.  No divisive crap.         

On 1/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, saturn said:

Played my first gig using my new PRS amp tonight. I'll give a little update the amp review for Karloff in m NAD thread tomorrow.For now I'll just post the set list since it's been awhile for that. 

orABKxV.jpg

Wow - What a show !!   Great set list.   Songs like  "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" -   just old fashioned good time fun, Rock & Roll.  What we need more of today.  Keep it up !  

On 6/21/2020 at 5:27 AM, saturn said:

It almost felt like a pre-pandemic weekend. Played a band gig Thursday night, acoustic Friday and another full band gig tonight. 

Tonight was almost rained out because it was outdoors at a winery. Luckily weather cleared up and it turned out to be a beautiful night and a big crowd. We're a little rusty, even after a few rehearsals, but we still did pretty good and everyone had a great time. Best thing is that on all these gigs people were just there to have some fun.  No divisive crap.         

Lucky man.  In UK at lockdown all my gigs for the rest of the year  (and that was all my gigs!) were cancelled. 

They are discussing now whether to reopen pubs and bars in July but with some social distancing measures. There won't be any live music though as the pubs/bars are in a real fight to survive economically - it was bad enough before all this started.

I have no idea when/if either of my bands will play live again. [sad]

Edited by jdgm

25 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Lucky man.  In UK at lockdown all my gigs for the rest of the year  (and that was all my gigs!) were cancelled. 

They are discussing now whether to reopen pubs and bars in July but with some social distancing measures. There won't be any live music though as the pubs/bars are in a real fight to survive economically - it was bad enough before all this started.

I have no idea when/if either of my bands will play live again. [sad]

in Mass-achu-zetts,   the Gov'nr moved bars to phase 4.  My hunch is 80% of those rooms will never reopen. 

Live music is on it's last legs in these parts, and it was pretty tough sledding before any of this happened. 

TBH, the money even before this was hardly worth the effort.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

in Mass-achu-zetts,   the Gov'nr moved bars to phase 4.  My hunch is 80% of those rooms will never reopen. 

Live music is on it's last legs in these parts, and it was pretty tough sledding before any of this happened. 

TBH, the money even before this was hardly worth the effort.

I know KB...  it's gotta be because you want to do it, not because you want / need money, not in these parts anyways.  

36 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I know KB...  it's gotta be because you want to do it, not because you want / need money, not in these parts anyways.  

at my Age Unc, I am not sure I even WANT to do the bars and pubs any more...

Guess  I'm kind of "over it"   had a good run  but nothin lasts forever.

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

at my Age Unc, I am not sure I even WANT to do the bars and pubs any more...

Guess  I'm kind of "over it"   had a good run  but nothin lasts forever.

It might be time time for you to host your own performance club..

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

It might be time time for you to host your own performance club..

It would truly be my own too.  Bars and Clubs in this state can't open till there is a proven treatment, or vaccine (Phase 4)  🙂 

37 minutes ago, kidblast said:

It would truly be my own too.  Bars and Clubs in this state can't open till there is a proven treatment, or vaccine (Phase 4)  🙂 

With the population density of cities in the east that would make sense, unfortunately. Any flat roofs in the area..?

43 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

With the population density of cities in the east that would make sense, unfortunately. Any flat roofs in the area..?

there's dinning establishments that have outdoor seating, and of those, a handful that routinely had solo and small acts until the seasons change and was no longer in use.  (late fall/winter)

But it seems most of those are out of business now due to Covid.  The entertainment industry in the surrounding area has been just about eliminated and will have to rebuild.  It is what it is..

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

there's dinning establishments that have outdoor seating, and of those, a handful that routinely had solo and small acts until the seasons change and was no longer in use.  (late fall/winter)

But it seems most of those are out of business now due to Covid.  The entertainment industry in the surrounding area has been just about eliminated and will have to rebuild.  It is what it is..

A couple places had live music over the weekend.  solo acoustic acts for places with outdoor seating...  requiring reservations and all that comes with right now, but it was live music.  Baby steps.

I think we will see fewer bands and more solos, duos and trios.

Edited by jdgm

The number of live venues round here has dwindled over the years (it used to be amazing!) so paid/public gigs are not regular for most bands who tend to do party gigs or diy shows at halls. The pubs are open again and getting back to normal but no live music on the horizon just yet.

we pulled a 'crowd' of 9 or 10  [laugh] to our last rehearsal and hopefully the same or more this weekend coming, which at least gives the adrenaline a shove and it's good to test new stuff and see if you get a few cheers. The regular rehearsal studio is back open so maybe we'll go back there after this weekend. Once live music is back in pubs I will make the effort to go in and watch bands regularly even if just for an hour and hope that others do too so we can help ensure we don't lose live music in venues after this.

I think people in general are chomping at the bit to get out of the house, specially for some place they might feel safe where they may be entertained.

So we played another local winery last night. We've played Basignani before but this was our first time playing at DeJon.  Other than being hot as hell it was a beautiful night. 

They had brick over pizza and wine by the bottle or glass for sale. They allowed other non-alcohol drinks to be brought in. Had a great crowd. They are happy for some place to get out and have fun while still keep some distance from each other. Big area in from of the band for people to spread out and dance. With the exception of a few technical glitches our sound was about perfect. The set was pretty much same as last time but we did add the Earth Wind and Fire version of Got To Get You In To My Life.

I'm still getting used to my new PRS amp. Generally very happy with it but the Lead channel is very noisy. I'm gonna try switching the pre amp tube and hope that's it. I've mostly been relying on the OD pedal for distorted tones but I like to use the amp for high gain if I can.   

55 minutes ago, saturn said:

So we played another local winery last night. We've played Basignani before but this was our first time playing at DeJon.  Other than being hot as hell it was a beautiful night. 

They had brick over pizza and wine by the bottle or glass for sale. They allowed other non-alcohol drinks to be brought in. Had a great crowd. They are happy for some place to get out and have fun while still keep some distance from each other. Big area in from of the band for people to spread out and dance. With the exception of a few technical glitches our sound was about perfect. The set was pretty much same as last time but we did add the Earth Wind and Fire version of Got To Get You In To My Life.

I'm still getting used to my new PRS amp. Generally very happy with it but the Lead channel is very noisy. I'm gonna try switching the pre amp tube and hope that's it. I've mostly been relying on the OD pedal for distorted tones but I like to use the amp for high gain if I can.   

Seems like wide open spread out is the key.  Good for you for finding a place to strut your stuff.   Good luck w/ the PRS amp, interested to hear how changing the pre amp tube works.