Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

It's 3:20am here. Just finishing some RoFo chicken and western fries, since the only other thing I ate all day was a banana. Finished up our gig at 1:00am and was driving home by 2:00.

Great gig, but my ears are ringing. We had to hire a sound guy, who was really good, but damn were we loud! Great crowd. Lots of dancers. We brought a singer from another band up to sing a song in the third set. It was "Double Vision". Went great. He had a bunch of friends there and it was appreciated. A good time had by all.

I played acoustic gigs on Thursday and Friday too. My wife thinks I'm burning the candle at both ends, doing this and working a full time job trough the week. But I say I can handle it. cool.gif

some nice Sunday afternoon music in those sets? [thumbup]

I've noticed a few more guys using SG's lately - probably sheer co-incidence but a few years ago I never saw anyone using em in local bands - sweet looking guitar you have!

Edited by 'Scales

... sweet looking guitar you have!

Thanks. Haven't gigged with it much honestly. But I was very happy with it today. It has a fat 50s neck and the pickups really scream. Not great for cleans, but this was a classic rock gig so didn't really need clean.

I already sing 9 of them, and I'll put the 5ths up top on the Eagles stuff. Every song will be 11 minutes long and we'll end each with the three of us out front like the cover of the Bring It Back Alive record. It'll be awesome.

rct

I already sing 9 of them, and I'll put the 5ths up top on the Eagles stuff. Every song will be 11 minutes long and we'll end each with the three of us out front like the cover of the Bring It Back Alive record. It'll be awesome.

rct

I think I came a little!

• 2 weeks later...

Been home about 30 minutes from our gig tonight. Way up above Baltimore in Timonium. A place called Michael's. Even though the weather was crappy with this Nor'easter we are getting, the crowd was large and enthusiastic.

Only have one photo mu my Carvin amp with Mark's PRS stacked on top. Also have a set list, which wasn't followed. rolleyes.gif

IYmvlts.jpg

Format is all messed up. msp_cursing.gif

Set 1

1. PretzelLogic (Key of Bm w/A Bass)

2. Beginnings(Key of A)

3. Dr. My Eyes(Key of F)

4. MidnightRider (Key of D)

5. Long TimeGone (Key of D minor)

6. I Wouldn’tWant To Be Like You (Key of C minor)

7. Evil Woman(Key of Am)

8. Love The OneYou’re With (Key of D)

9. Your MamaDon’t Dance (Key of C)

• 10. I’ll Be Around (E bass w/Ab minor)
  • 11. Ain’t No Sunshine (Am)
  • 12. I Wish (Key of C minor)
  • 13. Woodstock (Key of G)
  • 14. Tulsa Time (Key of A)
  • 15. Fly Like An Eagle (Key of Am)
  • 16. Private Eyes (Key of C)
  • 17. Already Gone (Key of G)
  • 18. I Saw Her Standing There (Key of E)

Set 2

1. Running onEmpty (Key of A)

2. RockyMountain Way (Key of E)

3. HigherGround (Key of D minor)

4. The Long Run(Key of Bb)

5. Feels LikeThe First Time (Key of F)

6. You May BeRight (Key of A)

7. Miss You(Key of A minor)

8. Brick House(Key of A)

9. Hurts SoGood (Key of D)

• 10. I Can’t Go For That (Key of C minor)
  • 11. Hungry Heart (Key of C)
  • 12. September (Key of D)
  • 13. Love Train (Key of C)
  • 14. Some Kind of Wonderful (Key of D)
  • 15. Sunspot Baby (Key of E)
  • 16. Play That Funky Music White Boy (Key of E)
  • 17. No Matter What (Key of A)
  • 18. Devil With The Blue Dress (Key of C to G to Eb to C)

Set 3

1. Sweet HomeAlabama (Key of D)

2. Crossfire(Key of A)

3. Tenth AvenueFreeze (Key of D minor)

4. Hard ToHandle (Key of Bb)

5. Long TrainRunnin (Key of D minor)

6. Two TicketsTo Paradise (Key of A)

7. Black Friday(Key of F# w/E bass)

8. Back In LoveAgain (Key of Ab)

9. Talkin It To The Streets (Key of F)

10. Hollywood Swinging (Key of E)

11. Get Back (Key of A)

12. Goin Down (Key of D)

We were snowed in the last few days(does not happen often) so we put our acoustics on our backs and went down to the local pub,

played a few tunes and had some beers.

Place was packed, we ended up playing for six hours.

Great fun, got to try out some stuff we don`t normally do and I sang for the first time(nobody ran out as far as I know).

Didn`t do any of our own, just covers.

Edited by Mutha

We were snowed in the last few days(does not happen often) so we put our acoustics on our backs and went down to the local pub,

played a few tunes and had some beers.

Place was packed, we ended up playing for six hours.

Great fun, got to try out some stuff we don`t normally do and I sang for the first time(nobody ran out as far as I know).

Didn`t do any of our own, just covers.

Six hours! Impressive. msp_thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just came in from my 3rd gig in 3 nights.

Tonight was a St Paddy's Day party at an up-scale restaurant/bar called Citron. Had a great crowd including a long-time local news anchor. At one point I think every person in the room was dancing. That was awesome!

You'd think with everyone having smart phones, there'd be lots of pictures. But everyone loads them right to Facebook and I never see any.

Oh well. Here's the sets from Friday and Saturday. Two different bands. Thursday was acoustic and we just wing that one. rolleyes.gif

0AZY6H6l.jpg

5uqX9xkl.jpg

Edited by saturn

Just came in from my 3rd gig in 3 nights.

.......At one point I think every person in the room was dancing. That was awesome!

Good job!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Congrats, nice to hear you are working this much after all the s*** you've had to go through.

Just got in from 1st gig with jazz quintet....!

I played ok, competent if not inspired. Got complements at end, and expenses.

Quite close to home (for me) - 40 mile round trip.

Venue wants us back, however much of the audience was band members' family, relatives etc.

People I told about it didn't come.....good excuse though; "sorry we'll be lambing in Wales".

Baah.

Edited by jdgm

And another.....

Blues covers band gig tonight; small club in Eastleigh, Hampshire.

Pretty much deserted - no more than 10 people - which was lucky as this band is losing its hold on the material.

New singer keeps missing a chorus here or a verse there at the moment, can't rehearse before next Friday's gig which is in currently-famous Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Harmonica player - very fine musician - can't rehearse until May at least. All a bit frustrating. Sound was bad/too loud, I couldn't hear him.

During 1st set a drunk woman appeared....someone's party going on elsewhere in the club....thud of the disco's bass louder than we were...the lady says she likes the blues, dances a bit then asks if we know any Chas & Dave as she wants to sing "Rabbit"....NO....then she wants to play bass.....NO! Off she goes calling us bastards etc....at load-out we have to squeeze the gear past 2 more very drunk ladies, one of whom is insisting to the other "I am not a b*tch"....nice to know, eh?

I've been doing this 40 yrs. The gap between what I would like it to sound like and where I'd like to play, and what we do sound like and where we play is bigger than ever and increasing all the time. If I still had a window of opportunity it would be smaller than a catflap now.

By next Friday I'll be back up to scratch and will do it all again...will travel further, for less.....but it will be much better.

Best wishes to all! Happy Easter!

Edited by jdgm

Me again; out with the band in Salisbury, just got back - about 90 mile round trip?

After watching and hearing last week's truly awful mobile phone/tablet videos of the gig...the horror....I had to drastically improve both my timing and phrasing.

Simplified everything....tried much harder to play what I hear (or something musical) instead of mindlessly running pattern-type licks, very consciously made sure my timing is on or slightly ahead of the beat instead of way behind....simpler, repetitive phrasing with more space.

All much better, in fact probably overall the best I've played with this lot.

Was next to bassist who plays LOUD so that gave me an excuse to turn up (until he finally got the message and turned down), the Fender Super 60 was singing, pedals all at good levels, took the treble down a bit on the guitar.

The money was totally crap but it was a good gig and that's what counts. Amazing how different it makes you feel versus a bad one.

At the end some Swedish tourists told us how much they had enjoyed it, asked why aren't we famous and said we were the best thing they'd seen since the Stones!! [biggrin]

Best wishes to all, have a good weekend. [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

Another gig at a local bar. Five minutes from my house. I like that!

We were actually double booked because the bar screwed up. Luckily I went in yesterday to hang some promo material and noticed their board showed another band playing. But in this case, the other band got bumped and we played.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd bump this thread once more while the Forums are still up and running. rolleyes.gif

It's been about 9 hours now, but I did get back from another acoustic gig at our favorite local seafood place, Crabtowne. Great time, and awesome crowd. Big thanks to Caesar for sending a round of Jagermeister our way. msp_thumbup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

1 - Blues band gig last night in small pub, Romsey Hants. First with my refurbished Vox head, first with new p.a. that harmonica player bought. Sound not good, very cramped space to play in, before we start and as soon as we stop the background music comes on loud as the band - can't hear anybody or anything.

Band played badly; we can't even remember the numbers we've being doing since we started now, as we rehearse so infrequently due to the new singer not being able (or willing) to do so.

Think I am on a collision course with him. Our next gig is at the end of June and he says he won't/can't rehearse before then anyway as he will be away on holiday all of June.

So the next gig will be even more untogether. Drummer has sent me a long email saying what are we going to do? I don't know.

Told him I've given up hope of it ever getting anywhere near the level I want it to get to. You have to have regular rehearsals.

If I quit the whole thing will fold.

And I should, the distances are totally uneconomic, and the singer forgot nearly everything we did rehearse from the last time he could make it. But I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

2 - Jazz group gig this afternoon in Mortimer, Berks. Again a long drive there and back. However a MUCH happier occasion, as in this group we are all 'on the same page' and have been rehearsing every 2 weeks recently. Felt much more relaxed than previous gig and got some good solos in too.

Best wishes to all!

Edited by jdgm