Gibson Brands Forums

Switch plate washer (pokerchip)

slk

Just picked up my new 2017 SG Standard T in Heritage Cherry. Opinions, on weather to put a switch plate washer on. AKA Pokerchip. I have no idea why they did not put them on the 2017's. I guess if you save $.99 on lots of guitars it adds up. Anyways I think the black one would look better on the Heritage Cherry

Steve

Just picked up my new 2017 SG Standard T in Heritage Cherry. Opinions, on weather to put a switch plate washer on. AKA Pokerchip. I have no idea why they did not put them on the 2017's. I guess if you save $.99 on lots of guitars it adds up. Anyways I think the black one would look better on the Heritage Cherry

Steve

Yep. Seems they gave them to Epiphone. The recent Epi LPs and SGs come with pokerchips having letters in the Gibson font.

A black washer with white letters looks best to me on Heritage Cherry. [thumbup]

many of us are irritated by the Rhythm/Treble dichotomy, and elect to remove the poker chip

or replace it with something that's printed with alternative choices.

Guns/Rockets... Today/Tomorrow... On/Off... Neck/Bridge... Yes/No...

Bite/Sting... Abbot/Cosello... Angus/Tony...

The choices go on and on. Personally, on my Silverburst SG, I replaced the darn chip

with a stainless steel washer from the hardware store. It cost me fifty cents, and doesn't say

anything.

My opinion of the plastic poker chip is that it's like a biker getting "Clutch and Throttle" tattooed

on his hands, so he knows what to do. It's from the fifties, when guitarists were unfamiliar with the

Gibson four knob layout. By now, it's totally unnecessary. So enjoy your guitar without it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived