Gibson Brands Forums

Caretakers my A@#- have to vent.

splake

Its all a sham.

Many of these Vintage and specialty guitar shops online, advertise themselves to be So G.D customer friendly, Humbled to serve, and find great world class instruments homes, where musicians with tears in their eyes riff in front of roaring fires in their little cottages overlooking the sea.( ok those are my words but you get it) My A**.!!!!! Every one of these guys I have ever been in contact with is all about the money. Fat Cat Middle men. And that is fine, I get it,, it is obviously what keeps the lights on and food on the table, but dont B.SH*! me and advertise that "we are humbled to find the right instruments for the right people" or "We take trades", until you actually have a trade, Then... not so much. or "We negotiate and will treat you how we want to be treated" Until you actually make an offer that is far above what the universe deems reasonable, and they want full what they are asking. and will not come off one dime, Or, "We will consign it for you", Until you offer to ship your vintage guitar to him to sell for you ,as he advertises, and apply whatever he can get for it to the guitar you are buying from him, and they reply "Pass". Or how about the time, the D- bag sends you a factory 2nd guitar , and when you call him on it, they get all defensive and tries to tell you that it doesn't really matter, because they sell for the same amount as ones that are not marked "2". You swallow hard and move on.

It is endless. It eats at you like erosion.

For Those who do not know and wish to venture out into the cold unforgiving world of buying vintage or specialty guitars from caretaker boutique shops, Trust no one, you have no friends, It is every man for himself. No one cares about finding a vintage instrument the RIGHT home like is is some kind of Just , Holy, profitless crusade, no matter how many times these charlatans advertise it. Know that, it aint so. If you want a guitar one of them has, grease up and pay up chump, you will get screwed, kicked in the teeth, so shut up, bite the curb while they stand on your neck, and take it.

It has happened to me OVER and OVER by different "Caretakers". It is like making cookies from a mold, They are all the same. All of them.

Sometimes I admire the ruthless Japan Guys more who set up tables at shows, pay with wads of cash , buy and hoard everything American they can, take it back overseas, mark it up 40% and sell it back to America because they make no bones about it. No lies, no bullsh*T , Or the Rich Guys like Vince Gill who hoard every pre war and early martin he can,Dozens and dozens sit there in dark humidified rooms, just screaming to be played, or Grand Posers like Richard Gere who have rooms and rooms full of vintage, priceless guitars and can not play a lick.

laughable, all of it. What a raquet!!!!

There, I vented, I feel much better now.

It's all like this. Young players (me included back then) don't see the word 'business' when they enter the 'music business'. You have to run a band like a self employed start up. When you buy a guitar it's no different to buying a used car. Pretend you're not interested. If you rave over it they've got you.

I admit it, I have spent a tone of money on guitars and some as investments only to find out that, at least here in Spain, no one has money to buy vintage or exspensive guitars unless you are selling them for cheap... I'll just hang on to all of mine for as long as the good Lord lets me...

It is endless. It eats at you like erosion.

Not me; some of us don't really care about 'vintage' instruments or playing that whole game you describe. All I've ever been interested in are 'regular' guitars - if any of mine might be considered vintage, it's only because I've had them for a long time.

You want to catch my interest, show me newer, affordable guitars that play well.

Not me; some of us don't really care about 'vintage' instruments or playing that whole game you describe. All I've ever been interested in are 'regular' guitars - if any of mine might be considered vintage, it's only because I've had them for a long time.

You want to catch my interest, show me newer, affordable guitars that play well.

Yeah man I get it. I understand. I admit there is some fan boy in me. I see Lennon playing his J 160E It just somehow feels better to me sitting playing N-wood on a vintage J 160e. Would the song sound better on a Newer Martin or Dove? Yes probably, Or if I see frampton playing his 64 Texan, I want to play a Texan when I play Baby I love your way on a Texan. Yeah it is stupid and Juvenile I know. I have never made a profit on a Vintage Guitar and i have bought and sold many usually to acquire another. But just dont insult what little intelligence I have , and act like you are selling me Christs sandals and I owe you a kings ransom for the honor. Thats all I guess.

if you want a vintage guitar, where else can you go though? Sometimes your stuck. But I get what you are saying, maybe someday I will mature enough that a lot of this SH*T doesnt matter, maybe not.

if you want a vintage guitar, where else can you go though?

Guitar shows. Plan a trip to one of the biggies, Philly, Dallas, San Diego. They are fun and if you go with a figure in mind to pay for a guitar in mind you might at least get close to what you are willing to pay.

rct

Archived