Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Gibson Les Paul Guitar of the Year...

norcalpiper

Title says it all-

I have now played all the 2017 Gibson SGs&Les Pauls at length now and have decided on my choice for best of 2017.

For Les Pauls & SGs , 2017 is a pretty good year over all. Gibson has now secured its intent on offering 2 lines of guitar Traditional and HP repectively. This is a good thing and its scheme is a good one I believe....Something for everyone.

The overall bad for Gibson is that quality control is flat out ansent now. I played LP Standard HPs (thats plural) that had blemishes, and it seemed all models i played had minor detail issues. I even played a classic that the rosewood fretboard was not place flush with the mahogany neck. It was not even and really a bad job...the HP line using "chrome" knobs, tuners, and pickup rings....looks cheap....like a guitar that belongs in the movie Logans Run..

OK, the good is that Gibson is still producing an instrument that soundwise has no equal. My choice is based on Sound, Fit, Feel, Cost, and Look. The runner up is the Les Paul Classic...Fantastic guitar, but aesthetically and weight wise it had issues to me. The winner this year by a mile is the Les Paul Tribute. I played 8 (I bought 1) and every o e of them was consistant in all categories and the price is incredible!!! The finish was perfect. The build supurb.....even the frets without binding was comfortable. Neck-great. Sound is fantastic...it just hits a homerun!!! Just my opinion, but if you are on the fence-GET ONE!!!

I own 4 Les Pauls. I ordered a 2016 Gibson Les Paul standard Hp and the neck was not wide enough so I sent it back. ( I bought a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic that turned out to be my #1 guitar with the wide neck). The 2016 was made well and had a few minor blemishes. So I wated and ordered a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard HP in Blueberry Burst. It was way to light and had many small blemishes but the kicker was when I removed the control panel to mess with the dip switch settings (because the pure bypass did NOT work) I found out why all 4 control knobs wobbled when they were turned. The electrionics were cramed into the control pocket so thight they were on a bind and they even crudly chisled out a huge chunk of wood and left the wood chunks and saw dust inside of the control pocket which is going to affect the electronics. This also explains why the 27 pound case was full of saw dust that the guitar was laying in. I sent it back and ordered the 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard T in Blueberry Burst. I'm happy to say that all the controls work and there are no chisled out parts. It does have a slite blemish on the back tip of the headstock but I find that the neck works for me even though it's not even close to the 2015 neck I've come to love. I do miss the G-force as well. I was not a believer in it when I bought my 2015 but in a few weeks it turned out to be very useful in live/studio situations. I know the 2015 doesn't get much love but the QC was better than the 2016/2017 line for sure. Just be aware of the HP control pockets because I've heard most of them are chisled out like mine if they have the dip switch setup inside.

Guest Farnsbarns

You've played them all? Wow, must have taken a while and been a logistical nightmare travelling the world to get to them all. Not to mention the cooperation of the thousands of owners. Impressive.

On the other hand I suspect you mean mean you've placed at least one if each. Not really enough to be making sweeping statements about the entire inventory.

...I suspect you mean mean you've placed at least one if each. Not really enough to be making sweeping statements about the entire inventory...

Oh, come now, Farns. Are you trying to tell us that Les Pauls of the same model can vary in feel, tone and weight from one to the next? I hardly think Gibson would allow that to happen. Before you know it you'll be saying that in a blind test & just by listening to them it's impossible to tell a solid-bodied from a weight-relieved LP...

eusa_snooty.gif

Pip.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 years later...

I had a 2015 Classic for a year or so, it sounded fantastic, and no manufacturing issues at all, I only sold it because I found the neck a little bit too wide.  I even loved the G-Force.  It meant I could play Kashmir, and The Rain Song, without having to carry extra guitars in specific tunings.  So next I got a 2014 Classic.  Another great guitar but, it could have had the binding applied a bit better.  I even fitted a G-Force to it.  Anyway, I decided to part with that, and went back to playing Superstrats and my old Tokai LS-80 for a short time.  I was missing the Gibson, so a few months ago I bought a 2017 Standard T.  Wow, what a machine.  I can't find a single fault with it.  Everything is perfect.  It's by far the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, and I've been playing live for 40 years.  The compound radius fretboard took a while to get used to but, anyone who's used to playing Jackson's, Charvels, Music Man etc should feel right at home.  The switching options are great, and so are the Grover locking tuners, although I might put the G-Force on at some point.

• Sad 1