Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson product of the day

Searcy

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A student of mine had a US-1 in the late 80s or early 90s - beautiful guitar, a set-neck superstrat with that slightly deeper body.

I'd like one!

I'm pretty sure it's Duane here who has a black one. Very VERY classy looker with the ebony 'board, split-diamond markers and cream body binding.

I'd like one, too!

Pip.

This truly unique and beautiful guitar was originally commissioned by the Gibson Custom Shop in early 2002, not only as a way to introduce a completely different type of Les Paul (The "Les Paul Acoustic") but also to highlight the quality of workmanship The Custom Shop was capable of producing. This very guitar was the centerpiece at the Gibson booth of the 2002 NAMM show.

This was the "Showcase" Guitar for that gathering. 2002 was the 50th Anniversary of the "Les Paul" and working from conversations and many consultations between Les, and Mike McGuire (Senior Luthier and also head of the Custom Shop), the common complaint about the weight of the "standard Les Paul" was to be addressed. This guitar was the result.

The one piece mahogany body was hollowed out and chambered for acoustic tone (there are no sound holes in the guitar) and the carved, figured maple cap was fitted with an L.R. Baggs piezo pickup under the bridge. The Volume and Tone control thumbwheels are nestled in a polished, nickel plated receptacle on the top (low E) bout of the guitar. The 1/4" output jack is located on the bottom of the lower rear bout. A 9V battery powers the piezo pickup and lives in a pop-up box inside the back cavity.

The 2001 Gibson Custom Shop Catalog features "The Acoustic" on the cover. Inside, photos show that the guitar "is available in two finishes. Translucent Black and Tangerine burst". Also available was a wide ranging list of options: Your choice of a Rosewood or Ebony fretboard. "Ivorina" Binding (body, neck, and headstock) could also be purchased separately at extra cost. Then at even more cost was the option to purchase the guitar with an "Ultima" neck. These necks were one piece, and hand carved (not machine formed) by one master luthier who oversaw production of the guitar from start to finish. And, finally for the very few, a "Tree of Life" inlay, consisting of hundreds of pieces of mother of pearl and abalone.

qtNeN0SEwG0HFVdTfG4MbQ.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Standard--Push Tone 2008--Limited Run / Pickup Swap System

OVERVIEW

2 sets of easily swappable pickups and beautiful, natural looks.

This Gibson Les Paul looker has all the right stuff. Maple topped mahogany with a sweet, understated finish, an ebony fretboard with maple trapezoid inlay, and a rounded '50s profile mahogany neck. The pickup arrangement really sets this Les Paul guitar apart. Comes with 2 BurstBucker Pro and 2 P-94 humbucker-sized pickups that attach wirelessly to the body using strong magnets. This gives you 4 mix-and-match pickup combos for near-endless tonal flexibility. From Gibson's Guitar of the Month collection, this axe is limited to a production run of just 1000, so if you want yours, you'd better not wait.

FEATURES

Body Wood: Mahogany

Top: Maple

Scale Length: 24-3/4"

Neck Joint: Set-in

Neck Wood: Mahogany

Fretboard: Ebony with maple inlay

Neck Shape: '50s rounded

Frets: 22

Nut Width: 1.6875

Fretboard Radius: 12"

Bridge: Nashville Tune-O-Matic

Pickup Bridge: Interchangeable BurstBucker Pro Humbucker (2 P-94 pickups come in the case)

Pickup Neck: Interchangeable BurstBucker Pro Humbucker

Controls: 2 Vol, 2 Tone, 3 Way PU selector

Tuners: Locking Grover

Hardware color: Chrome

LPPRANCH1_Les_Paul_Push-tone_h.jpg

LPPRANCH1_Les_Paul_Push-tone_g5.jpg

LPPTbackpups.jpg

This truly unique and beautiful guitar was originally commissioned by the Gibson Custom Shop in early 2002, not only as a way to introduce a completely different type of Les Paul (The "Les Paul Acoustic") but also to highlight the quality of workmanship The Custom Shop was capable of producing. This very guitar was the centerpiece at the Gibson booth of the 2002 NAMM show.

This was the "Showcase" Guitar for that gathering. 2002 was the 50th Anniversary of the "Les Paul" and working from conversations and many consultations between Les, and Mike McGuire (Senior Luthier and also head of the Custom Shop), the common complaint about the weight of the "standard Les Paul" was to be addressed. This guitar was the result.

The one piece mahogany body was hollowed out and chambered for acoustic tone (there are no sound holes in the guitar) and the carved, figured maple cap was fitted with an L.R. Baggs piezo pickup under the bridge. The Volume and Tone control thumbwheels are nestled in a polished, nickel plated receptacle on the top (low E) bout of the guitar. The 1/4" output jack is located on the bottom of the lower rear bout. A 9V battery powers the piezo pickup and lives in a pop-up box inside the back cavity.

The 2001 Gibson Custom Shop Catalog features "The Acoustic" on the cover. Inside, photos show that the guitar "is available in two finishes. Translucent Black and Tangerine burst". Also available was a wide ranging list of options: Your choice of a Rosewood or Ebony fretboard. "Ivorina" Binding (body, neck, and headstock) could also be purchased separately at extra cost. Then at even more cost was the option to purchase the guitar with an "Ultima" neck. These necks were one piece, and hand carved (not machine formed) by one master luthier who oversaw production of the guitar from start to finish. And, finally for the very few, a "Tree of Life" inlay, consisting of hundreds of pieces of mother of pearl and abalone.

qtNeN0SEwG0HFVdTfG4MbQ.jpg

This would be almost the ideal LP for me. An ebony option fingerboard and simple layout. It would be even better without the hidden controls. I dont need any controls on my guitars.

marleyguitar.jpeg

marleyguitar_body.jpeg

marleyguitar_manico.jpeg

Bob's Gibson Les Paul Special had the football shaped pickup switch surround and aluminium pickguard installed by famed music tech Roger Meyer in 79. At the same time Roger made some effects pedals for Junior I think. I believe he was a friend of Juniors. I think Roger gave the guitar a complete overhaul at that stage.

I don't know who made the early 70s mods to the guitar (big white switch surround etc). If you look at footage from about 73, when Bob appears to have got the Gibson (prior to then, for example the 72 Old Grey Whistle Test, Bob seemed to use a Fender Stratocaster), you can see that it was in the original configuration with small black surround etc. So it appears to have been modified twice while in Bob's possession. Not surprising, it was used a lot, and would have needed some repairs from time to time.

The last mods occurred mid to late 79 I think. They were there on the late 79 dates such as Santa Barbara, but on the April 79 Japan/NZ/Australia/Hawaii tour, the guitar had not had those mods done. Interestingly, on the NZ date, Junior, Al, and Fams all used Yamaha instruments. According to James Wilson they were given to the Wailers by the President of Yamaha. Pictures of Japan dates show that on some of those dates Bob himself used a Yamaha instead of his Gibson.

Fams seems to have used his Yamaha up until the Gabon dates in the beginning of 80, but by the Uprising tour was using his Fender Jazz again. Junior appears to have used his Yamaha a bit longer, see for example the Sunsplash 79 footage. I don't think Al used the Yamaha for long.

Don't know why Junior & Al used their Yamahas for such a short time; at the time they were state of the art and are now regarded as classics. They were the equal of the Strats & Les Pauls that both Al & Junior seemed to alternate from date to date.

As noted in previous postings, Gibson has produced a Bob signature model, following the specs of the last incarnation of his guitar, for those with lots of cash to spare.

Features:

Aged-cherry finish

Solid mahogany body

Mahogany neck

P-90 single-coil pickups

Bound fingerboard and overbound headstock

Aged hardware

Aluminum pickguard

Football-shaped switch plate

Brass nut

Aluminum tailpiece

Mini-Schaller tuners

Rosewood fretboard

24-3/4" scale length

1-11/16" nut width

Details:

Body:

Body wood: Solid mahogany

Binding: N/A

Available left-handed: No

Finish Colors: Aged Cherry by Tom Murphy Neck:

Neck construction: 1-piece mahogany

Fingerboard wood: 22 fret rosewood

Inlays: Pearloid small block

Binding: Aged single-ply cream

*Other: Overbound headstock

Profile: Rounded

Scale length/Nut width: 24 3/4"; 1 11/16"

*Other: Brass nut

Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046 Electronics & Hardware:

Pickups: P-90 single coils

Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch

Hardware color: Aged nickel

Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1/Stopbar

*Other: Aged aluminum pickguard and football-shaped switchwasher

Tuner style: Mini-Schaller

Collateral: Custom Shop case, Wall-hanging display case with Lion of Judah backdrop, Bob Marley Certificate of Authenticity, Bob Marley T-shirt, Custom Care Kit

marleyguitar.jpeg

marleyguitar_body.jpeg

marleyguitar_manico.jpeg

Bob's Gibson Les Paul Special had the football shaped pickup switch surround and aluminium pickguard installed by famed music tech Roger Meyer in 79. At the same time Roger made some effects pedals for Junior I think. I believe he was a friend of Juniors. I think Roger gave the guitar a complete overhaul at that stage.

I don't know who made the early 70s mods to the guitar (big white switch surround etc). If you look at footage from about 73, when Bob appears to have got the Gibson (prior to then, for example the 72 Old Grey Whistle Test, Bob seemed to use a Fender Stratocaster), you can see that it was in the original configuration with small black surround etc. So it appears to have been modified twice while in Bob's possession. Not surprising, it was used a lot, and would have needed some repairs from time to time.

The last mods occurred mid to late 79 I think. They were there on the late 79 dates such as Santa Barbara, but on the April 79 Japan/NZ/Australia/Hawaii tour, the guitar had not had those mods done. Interestingly, on the NZ date, Junior, Al, and Fams all used Yamaha instruments. According to James Wilson they were given to the Wailers by the President of Yamaha. Pictures of Japan dates show that on some of those dates Bob himself used a Yamaha instead of his Gibson.

Fams seems to have used his Yamaha up until the Gabon dates in the beginning of 80, but by the Uprising tour was using his Fender Jazz again. Junior appears to have used his Yamaha a bit longer, see for example the Sunsplash 79 footage. I don't think Al used the Yamaha for long.

Don't know why Junior & Al used their Yamahas for such a short time; at the time they were state of the art and are now regarded as classics. They were the equal of the Strats & Les Pauls that both Al & Junior seemed to alternate from date to date.

As noted in previous postings, Gibson has produced a Bob signature model, following the specs of the last incarnation of his guitar, for those with lots of cash to spare.

Features:

Aged-cherry finish

Solid mahogany body

Mahogany neck

P-90 single-coil pickups

Bound fingerboard and overbound headstock

Aged hardware

Aluminum pickguard

Football-shaped switch plate

Brass nut

Aluminum tailpiece

Mini-Schaller tuners

Rosewood fretboard

24-3/4" scale length

1-11/16" nut width

Details:

Body:

Body wood: Solid mahogany

Binding: N/A

Available left-handed: No

Finish Colors: Aged Cherry by Tom Murphy Neck:

Neck construction: 1-piece mahogany

Fingerboard wood: 22 fret rosewood

Inlays: Pearloid small block

Binding: Aged single-ply cream

*Other: Overbound headstock

Profile: Rounded

Scale length/Nut width: 24 3/4"; 1 11/16"

*Other: Brass nut

Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046 Electronics & Hardware:

Pickups: P-90 single coils

Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch

Hardware color: Aged nickel

Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1/Stopbar

*Other: Aged aluminum pickguard and football-shaped switchwasher

Tuner style: Mini-Schaller

Collateral: Custom Shop case, Wall-hanging display case with Lion of Judah backdrop, Bob Marley Certificate of Authenticity, Bob Marley T-shirt, Custom Care Kit

This would be great for jammin.

1989 Gibson Melody Maker Flyer Pro II

This model is the Melody Maker Pro II, part of Gibson's designer series of the 80's, these guitars were part of Gibson's catalog from 1987-1991. It features an explorer style headstock, a Kahler Flyer tremolo with string lock at the nut, Grover tuners, a pair of Bill Lawrence pickups, all finished in black with a Celebrity series pearloid pickguard in a single cutaway Melody Maker shape.

IMG_0912_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481826675

IMG_0917_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481826687

Archived