Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson product of the day

Searcy

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SESGRDCH200Wide.png

Maestro Double Cutaway

This model is based on a patented Gibson design dating back to 1961 and has religiously been held in the hands of rock gods. It's fast neck and razor sharp sound have inspired fanatical worship since it's inception.

BODY

Body Style: Double Cutaway Electric Guitar

Body Species: Poplar/Maple Veneer

Cutaway: Double

NECK

Species: Maple

Nut: Black

Finish: Natural Satin

Neck Joint Type: Bolt On

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood

Scale Length: 243/4"

Number Of Frets: 22

Inlays: Dot

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Chrome

Bridge: Wrap-Around

Knobs: Black Speed Knobs

Machine Heads (Tuners): Diecast

Strap Buttons: 1 Neck Joint, 1 Bout

Pickguard: Black

ELECTRONICS

Pickups: 1 Humbucker

Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone

e6b21c72939476b9eedf28c0dafa2265_zpsblbrgquj.jpg

Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard

From the smash early success of 1975’s Dreamboat Annie to contemporary hits launched by her much-applauded return to the band in more recent years, Heart guitarist Nancy Wilson has been the cornerstone of many of rock’s most enduring songs, and the architect of a myriad timeless riffs. She has long been a fan of one of Gibson’s more powerful “modern alternatives” too—and to recognize the union of artist and instrument, Gibson USA introduces the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard, an elegant variation on a contemporary classic.

The Nighthawk has been a favorite of a wide range of players since its introduction in 1993, thanks to its seamless blend of traditional Gibson quality with several clever modern design features. The Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard takes the format a major leap forward with a highly figured Grade-AAA maple top dressed in a high-gloss nitrocellulose Fireburst finish with Cherry back and neck, and a commemorative “Fanatic” truss-rod cover. It retains all the distinctive ingredients that made the Nighthawk stand out initially, including the 25 ½” scale length for firm lows and chiming highs, the comfortable body contours, through-body stringing and unique Nighthawk bridge, and the superb versatility of the pairing of Nighthawk Mini-humbucker and Nighthawk Lead humbucker, with five-way switching for a range of humbucking and single-coil combinations. Check out the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard today at your authorized Gibson USA dealer, and experience this stylishly contemporary tone machine for yourself.

Body and Neck

The body of the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard follows the Nighthawk’s stylized take on Gibson’s legendary Les Paul, with a deeper cutaway, a ribcage contour for enhanced playing comfort, and a longer scale length for a broader voice. Its top is made from figured Grade-AAA maple, and its back is solid mahogany. A solid, quarter-sawn mahogany neck with a 25 ½” scale length is glued into the body and carved in a comfortably rounded profile that measures 0.818” at the 1st fret and 0.963” at the 12th. The guitar has a bound fingerboard made from solid rosewood, inlaid with parallelogram position markers. A Corian™ nut cut on Gibson’s computer-controlled PLEK helps to ensure optimum sustain and precise intonation.

Pickups and Electronics

Much of the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard’s versatility comes from its superbly powerful yet musical pickups. The Nighthawk Mini-Humbucker in the neck position offers a rich, throaty growl, but with plenty of definition; the Nighthawk Lead Humbucker in the bridge position is primed for everything from mammoth crunch to articulate, singing lead tones, yet you merely have to flip the five-way selector switch to tap brighter single-coil sounds, and a range of other tones. Master tone and volume controls make for easy on-the-fly adjustments.

Hardware and Plastics

The heart of the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard’s superb resonance and sustain is found in its through-body stringing and rock-solid Nighthawk bridge. The bridge, strap buttons, and vintage-style “Gibson Deluxe” tuners are all gold plated, as are the pickup’s mounting rings and neck pickup cover. Amber “top-hat” knobs lend an air of Gibson tradition, there’s a commemorative truss-rod cover hot stamped with “Fanatic,” and the guitar wears no pickguard to obscure the beauty of its highly figured top.

Cases and Coverage

All guitars come protected in a black Gibson hardshell case, and include a Gibson owner’s manual and adjustment literature, along with Gibson’s Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 Customer Support.

f55709e395943876b81ec8454b9a1412.jpg

GibsonFlyingVBass.jpg

1981 Gibson V Bass.

That year, Gibson introduced a very limited run of 375 Flying V Bass guitars therfore they are rare on the market.

Available finishes included black (the largest quantity), alpine white, silverburst, and transparent blue, all with a bound fretboard.

giflyvbs_1064.jpg

Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard

From the smash early success of 1975’s Dreamboat Annie to contemporary hits launched by her much-applauded return to the band in more recent years, Heart guitarist Nancy Wilson has been the cornerstone of many of rock’s most enduring songs, and the architect of a myriad timeless riffs. She has long been a fan of one of Gibson’s more powerful “modern alternatives” too—and to recognize the union of artist and instrument, Gibson USA introduces the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard, an elegant variation on a contemporary classic.

The Nighthawk has been a favorite of a wide range of players since its introduction in 1993, thanks to its seamless blend of traditional Gibson quality with several clever modern design features. The Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard takes the format a major leap forward with a highly figured Grade-AAA maple top dressed in a high-gloss nitrocellulose Fireburst finish with Cherry back and neck, and a commemorative “Fanatic” truss-rod cover. It retains all the distinctive ingredients that made the Nighthawk stand out initially, including the 25 ½” scale length for firm lows and chiming highs, the comfortable body contours, through-body stringing and unique Nighthawk bridge, and the superb versatility of the pairing of Nighthawk Mini-humbucker and Nighthawk Lead humbucker, with five-way switching for a range of humbucking and single-coil combinations. Check out the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard today at your authorized Gibson USA dealer, and experience this stylishly contemporary tone machine for yourself.

Body and Neck

The body of the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard follows the Nighthawk’s stylized take on Gibson’s legendary Les Paul, with a deeper cutaway, a ribcage contour for enhanced playing comfort, and a longer scale length for a broader voice. Its top is made from figured Grade-AAA maple, and its back is solid mahogany. A solid, quarter-sawn mahogany neck with a 25 ½” scale length is glued into the body and carved in a comfortably rounded profile that measures 0.818” at the 1st fret and 0.963” at the 12th. The guitar has a bound fingerboard made from solid rosewood, inlaid with parallelogram position markers. A Corian™ nut cut on Gibson’s computer-controlled PLEK helps to ensure optimum sustain and precise intonation.

Pickups and Electronics

Much of the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard’s versatility comes from its superbly powerful yet musical pickups. The Nighthawk Mini-Humbucker in the neck position offers a rich, throaty growl, but with plenty of definition; the Nighthawk Lead Humbucker in the bridge position is primed for everything from mammoth crunch to articulate, singing lead tones, yet you merely have to flip the five-way selector switch to tap brighter single-coil sounds, and a range of other tones. Master tone and volume controls make for easy on-the-fly adjustments.

Hardware and Plastics

The heart of the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard’s superb resonance and sustain is found in its through-body stringing and rock-solid Nighthawk bridge. The bridge, strap buttons, and vintage-style “Gibson Deluxe” tuners are all gold plated, as are the pickup’s mounting rings and neck pickup cover. Amber “top-hat” knobs lend an air of Gibson tradition, there’s a commemorative truss-rod cover hot stamped with “Fanatic,” and the guitar wears no pickguard to obscure the beauty of its highly figured top.

Cases and Coverage

All guitars come protected in a black Gibson hardshell case, and include a Gibson owner’s manual and adjustment literature, along with Gibson’s Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 Customer Support.

f55709e395943876b81ec8454b9a1412.jpg

Very sharp guitar

4H

01459_front.jpg

1987 Gibson Chet Atkins 'Special Prototype' #1.

This unique 'Prototype #1' Chet Atkins Special' 17-inch-wide thinbody (just under 1 3/4 inches deep) guitar weighs 10.10 lbs. Laminated birds-eye maple body with highly flamed top, sides and back. Two-piece highly-flamed birds-eye maple neck with a fat nut width of 1 3/4 inches, a scale length of 25 1/2 inches and a wonderful medium profile. Ebony fretboard with 21 medium frets and "Tree of Life" inlaid in Abalone and Mother-of Pearl across the first nineteen frets. The body of the guitar has seven-ply binding on the top and five-ply on the back. The 'f' holes are single-bound in cream. The headstock is single bound in black and the fretboard is single-bound - bound within additional white line on each side. Headstock with inlaid Abalone "Gibson" script logo. Serial number "83227011" and "Made in / USA" stamped in blind on back of headstock. Bell-shaped Mother-of-Pearl truss-rod cover with two screws. Individual Gibson Rotomatic tuners with 'swing-out' 'tulip-shaped' metal buttons. Two Gibson 'Patent Number' pickups with black plastic surrounds and outputs of 5.92k and 5.57k (each engraved on the underside "Patent No. 2,737,842"). Four controls (two volume, and master tone & three-way pickup elector switch) on lower treble bout plus master volume control on treble horn. The potentiometers are stamped "137 8807" (CTS February 1988). Gold plastic 'fifties-style' bell-shaped control knobs. Gibson 'Nashville' Tune-O-Matic retainer bridge (stamped on the underside "Gibson / Patent No. 2,740,313" with metal saddles on height-adjustable ebony base with a Mother-of-Pearl 'Dragonfly' inlay on either side. Gibson adjustable 'finger-style' tailpiece secured to the lower edge by three screws. All hardware gold-plated. Inside the truss-rod cavity, written in pencil are the letters "PRJ". This is one of the most beautifully made guitars that we have ever seen and is in near mint (9.25) condition. The guitar was made as a promotional model for Chet Atkins, at the Gibson Custom Shop in November 1987. Housed in the original Gibson four-latch, shaped black hardshell case with royal blue plush lining (9.00). Chet Atkins has signed the headstock in gold marker "Chet Atkins CGP".

"CGP" is a 1988 album by Chet. The initials in the title refer to the Atkins-coined title "Certified Guitar Player" a name he assigned not only to himself but other guitarists he admired and felt contributed to the legacy of guitar playing.

Together with a letter of provenance signed by the actor and musician Steven Seagal "I Steven Seagal received the Chet Atkins prototype #1 year 1987 was given to me by Chet Atkins and autographed by Chet Atkins in my presence". Also included are two photographs of Steven Seagal with the guitar. The case has two labels, the first with "Gibson '87 / Chet Special / Prototype #1" and the second with "163 Chet (SP) / SS 111"

We sent a description and detailed photographs to our friend Bob Burns at Gibson…here is his reply of July 19th, 2012 - "Hello David, Thanks for sending the pictures. The instrument has similarities to the Chet Atkins Country Gentleman and the Chet Atkins Tennessean models, but neither have the controls set up exactly like this instrument. It appears to be a special order or promotional in nature, but we have no archived information available on the original owner. Thanks. Best Regards, Bob Burns Gibson Customer Service."

"The biggest endorser and innovator of Gretsch guitars was Mr. Chet Atkins. And although he played Gretsch instruments for years, his obligation with the company ended and he chose not to sign on with the new owners. The quality of Gretsch instruments was slipping and Mr. Atkins was well aware of this fact. It was around 1980 when Gibson and Chet Atkins began a relationship. Gibson started by designing the Chet Atkins CE (Classical Ecelctric) thin body nylon-string guitar. This guitar was first offered for sale in 1981. By 1987 Gibson designers had come up with the Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. The design was loosely based on the Gretsch 6122. However there were quite a few differences - the main ones being that the Gibson uses an 'Alnico' 492R humbucker in the neck position and an 'Alnico' 490T humbucker in the bridge position - these pickups are slightly hotter than Gretsch Super-Trons, and the Gibson has three volume controls and a master tone control whereas the Gretsch used a three-way tone switch."

01459_fretboard.jpg

01459_hs.jpg

01459_case.jpg

01459_photo.jpg

01459_detail2.jpg

http://stage.frettedamericana.com/product/1987-gibson-chet-atkins-special-prototype-1

I've always loved that particular version of that model.

Thomann had one advertised at a clearance price a few years ago and I sort-of wish I had bought it.

OTOH I still have my balls in situ...

When I used to go to the local open-mic nights one of the regular 'house' guitarists had a Nighthawk Standard and it sounded great. Tonally very versatile. It was also a very Very nice instrument to play (he let me have a shot of it after hours).

Pip.

EDIT : NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ah knew ah shouldn't ha' aughtta' gon'n'had a look-see but I went'n'didit anyways...

https://www.thomann....n_nighthawk.htm

eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif

M u s t . . . N o t . . . G i v e . . . I n . . . . . . . . . ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I've always loved that particular version of that model.

Thomann had one advertised at a clearance price a few years ago and I sort-of wish I had bought it.

OTOH I still have my balls in situ...

When I used to go to the local open-mic nights one of the regular 'house' guitarists had a Nighthawk Standard and it sounded great. Tonally very versatile. It was also a very Very nice instrument to play (he let me have a shot of it after hours).

Pip.

EDIT : NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ah knew ah shouldn't ha' aughtta' gon'n'had a look-see but I went'n'didit anyways...

https://www.thomann....n_nighthawk.htm

eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif

M u s t . . . N o t . . . G i v e . . . I n . . . . . . . . . ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I always loved the Nighthawk as well. They are great value for such a versatile instrument. I liked the Custom version with the extra single coil in the middle position, but the Wilson one looks a beauty too.

01171_tq.jpg

The One-Off Prototype L-5CT - The George Gobel For George Gobel

The Very First Gibson Guitar in Cherry Red!

1958 Gibson L-5C "Special" George Gobel Prototype.

This L-5C "Special" that was specially made for and presented to George Gobel has a 17 inch wide and 2 5/8 inches thick body. It weighs just 4.90 lbs and has a nut width of 1 11/16 inches inches and a standard L-5 Gibson scale length of 25 1/2 inches. Carved spruce top, highly figured curly maple back and sides, three-piece curly maple neck, and bound ebony fretboard with 20 jumbo frets and inlaid pearl block position markers. The top of the guitar has nine-ply binding, the back of the guitar has five-ply binding, the f-holes are single-bound, the neck is triple-bound, the headstock has five-ply binding, and the fretboard has double sets of white lines going down it. Headstock with inlaid pearl "Gibson" logo and pearl flowerpot inlay. The back of the headstock is laminated black. Individual Kluson Sealfast tuners with bell-shaped metal buttons. Tortoiseshell pickguard with five-ply binding. Rosewood bridge with pre-set compensating saddle on rosewood base and L-5 trapeze tailpiece. The oval orange label visible through the bass 'f' hole has the model designation as "L5 - C - Special" written in black ink and the serial number "A 27318" (March 1958) stamped in black. Inside the treble 'f' hole is the FON (factory order number) "T 3885 1" stamped in black. All hardware gold-plated. This guitar is in exceptionally fine (9.00) condition. Housed in the original Gibson five-latch brown hardshell case with pink plush lining (9.00).

The unique "Lonesome George's wear marks, due to his style of playing, are on the top - if you watch the Youtube video of George Gobel and Dean Martin doing a duet… you can clearly see how these 'wear' marks occured.

“Lonesome” George Gobel, the low-key, high profile, wildly popular nightclub comedian and television star of the mid-1950s-early 1960s was indeed lonesome. The Gibson Super 400 had been his guitar of choice, integrating it into his act and performing with it for many years. But the Super 400 was a huge guitar for this short and stocky man; it was like Tom Thumb married to a Valkyrie – them big women are great but a small man could get lost in their embrace. With the Super 400 in front, there wasn’t much George behind. For Gobel, the Super 400 was a row-boat with strings, perfect for use while fishing, not so much for playing. George needed a guitar that he could strum, not one that could strum him. One night after a club date at Chicago’s Palmer House, George hoisted a few with Gibson’s Andy Nelson. He asked if Gibson had a guitar of equal quality but of smaller dimensions. And so, inspired by drink, the two dreamed up the L5CT – with shorter scale, thinner body, and cross bracing rather than the parallel bracing that Gibson preferred. In sum, a guitar that George could comfortably hold and play and not look like he was strumming a bass fiddle in his lap. The bright cherry finish was meant to allow the guitar to show well and “pop” on stage. It showed very well indeed and popped like crazy on television when the legendary Tennessee Ernie Ford officially presented the guitar to Gobel on Ford’s hit T.V. variety show, April 3, 1958.

This is it, the “one-off” custom-built especially for Gobel by Gibson, with Serial Number 27318, which the Gibson archive dates to March 20, 1958 and hand-notes “Lonesome George Gobel Spec.” The Gibson label inside this guitar notes the serial number and “L5 C- Special” as model. The guitar is slightly thicker (2 5/8 in.) than the production model and has a standard 25 1/2 inch scale to the production model’s 24 3/4 inches. This instrument is identified and pictured on page sixty-six of Adrian Ingram’s The Gibson L.5, which provides the entire history of this guitar.

Only forty-five of these beauties were manufactured between 1958 and 1962, when the model was discontinued. The L5CT was never officially named the George Gobel model, it just came to be as closely identified with him as Gobel’s original scratch marks are on this unique instrument. George Gobel famously quipped: “Did you ever get the feeling that the world’s a tuxedo and you’re a pair of brown shoes?” We have no idea how Gobel’s footwear stacked up but this guitar was and remains a high class, custom made set of threads.

The L-5CT was a "thin line" L-5 with a 2 3/8 inch deep body (instead of a 3 3/8 inch for the standard L-5) and a shorter scale length of 24 3/4 inches (instead of 25 1/2 inches). "It was expressly developed by Gibson for comedian George Gobel (hence the 'George Gobel' nickname) who asked for the guitar to be finished in a gleaming cherry red. The L-5CT was manufactured from 1959 to 1961 in fairly small quantities (43 in all) but a few of them were factory equipped with humbuckers or bar pick-ups, although it was primarily introduced as an acoustic guitar next to the L-5C" (A.R. Duchossoir, Gibson Electrics from the Origins up to 1961, p. 132).

Gibson produced many Artist models in the 1950s and '60s -- the Les Paul, Byrdland, Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Trini Lopez, and Johnny Smith are probably the best known. This model, the L-5CT, is one of the rarest of the Artist models. The CT is a variant of the venerable L-5 (which has a "long" scale length of 25 1/2 inches) with a thinline body and cutaway, and was originally designed for comedian George Gobel. In 1958, Gobel was big-time -- he had his own TV show, and the first L-5CT was presented to him by Tennessee Ernie Ford on Gobel's show. The comedian wanted a thinline, shorter-scale guitar to fit his somewhat rotund and short-armed body, and the CT design was Gibson's answer. The production model of the L-5CT had the thinline body and a "standard" 24-3/4" scale length. Another unique feature of the guitar was the cherry red finish, which was the very first use of that color.

The thinline L-5 design has an easy feel and good balance, but the real value of this instrument is its collectibility -- not only is it a celebrity guitar, but it's also the prototype of a Gibson rarity. According to Larry Meiners's Gibson Shipment Totals 1937-1979 (pp. 33-34), only 43 L-5CTs were built between 1958 and 1961. The above-mentioned 1958 L-5CT 'Prototype' with serial number "A-27318" and two other L-5CTs that were shipped in November 1962 (serial numbers "61308" and "62179" makes a total of 46. Now that's rare!

01171_hs_back.jpg

01171_case.jpg

01171_hs.jpg

01171_front.jpg

The One-Off Prototype L-5CT - The George Gobel For George Gobel

01171_front.jpg

Very nice guitar and great info. Thanks for posting!

I first read about the model way back in 1980 in Ian C. Bishop's book 'The Gibson Guitar from 1950 Vol. 2' but had no idea it was such a rarity.

The photo which accompanied the text was in black and white and the angle chosen by the snapper certainly didn't do the guitar much justice.

Just out of interest here's what Mr. Bishop had to say;

"A player came to see me recently bringing with him a Gibson model that I have only rarely seen before and the existence of which has not been previously mentioned(*). It was an acoustic L5C but thinner than standard and therefore designated L5CT. It was finished in dark cherry. It was also equipped with a Charlie Christian pickup that had apparently been added later. It was specially ordered by this player from the Kalamazoo factory in 1961 and, as it was ordinarily only available as a custom order instrument and was never in full production, this must be one of only comparatively few ever made and my thanks are due to this person for bringing it to me.".

Pip.

(*) Mr. Bishop is referring to the omission of the instrument in Vol. 1 of his books on the marque.

The L5CT is so beautiful :0

Is that Steven Seagal?

Steven Seagal has a good dozen Firebirds in his warehouse fulla guitars, and tours his band whenever he isn't making bad movies. He's not a bad guitar player and he will crack you up quickly.

rct

DSC03901_1024x1024.jpg?v=1469734908

DSC03903_1024x1024.jpg?v=1474918329

DSC03907_1024x1024.jpg?v=1472492892

DSC03904_1024x1024.jpg?v=1474918329

1992 Gibson Prototype R&D

One-Off with Paperwork

One-of-a-kind Gibson Prototype Electric Guitar. Excellent condition showing very little wear from use. Some tarnishing of metal parts. Double cutaway design with carved maple top, mahogany body and neck, chambered body, Cherry Sunburst finish, gold plated hardware. The guitar has a factory serial number.

So we have a beyond rare guitar here. We have a written appraisal for the guitar by George Gruhn (1998). Gruhn states it was made by the famous Gibson builder JT Riboloff. This is a 24 year old one-off Gibson treasure. Since we have never seen this model we assume the next owner will be the only one to have one in their collection.

seqy6dljx5nmc1lmcdra.jpg

kjel9ffqayvd8hda12q6.jpg

wmnnd0al27vtz36z7xcg.jpg

In 2000 Gibson Custom was clearing out the factory as they were moving and they had like 200 guitars that were around the factory that they wanted to sell You will see that "Roadworn" is branded into the back of the guitar.

This was never produced. It was their attempt at a strat with hum buckers. Neck is maple and body seems to be maple or alder. Strat like selector switch and hardtail bridge. The year of production is a guess as they could not tell me and there is no serial number. Plays great and one of a kind. Comes with Custom shop case.

Product Specs

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=0C4C0C46-AE27-4FCE-BBD2-023F47EA7E75&Image_Type=image

This well-worn road warrior Gibson Les Paul Custom is a 1978 model, in a rare silverburst finish.

Two Tom Anderson humbuckers have been installed, an H3 in the bridge and an H1 in the neck, and the frets have been replaced with a stainless steel type, which form a pyramid shape. The instrument is actually a factory second, but surprisingly there are no structural flaws. There is a slight flaw in the back burst tip, which is the likely reason why it was stamped a “second.” The story that came with the guitar is that it once belonged to Steven Van Zandt of The E Street Band. [As of press time, PG has been unable to confirm this.]

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Guitar_of_the_Month_1978_Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom

1998 model Gibson SG Deluxe in Ice Blue

Body: Mahogany

Neck: Mahogany neck with 1 11/16" wide nut and rosewood fretboard with pearloid dot inlays

Pickups/Hardware: Three minibuckers (the neck position rates at 7.5kOhms, the middle at 15.1k, and the bridge at 14.1k), six-way rotary pickup selector switch, volume and tone controls, Maestro vibrato , and Gibson deluxe tuners

gibsonsgdeluxe_002.jpg

gibsonsgdeluxe_011.jpg

582296.jpg

SS-2F Custom: Designed by Ned Steinberger, the Synapse guitar is a HYBRID instrument combining the strength, rigidity and clarity of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood. At the heart of every Synapse is our Cybrosonic™ neck featuring our patented graphite U-channel with adjustable truss rod uniquely crafted into a 3-piece, hard maple neck. We then add a smooth and durable phenolic fingerboard and a neck-thru body design to create an instrument with distinctive tonal clarity, sustain, "pop" and response as well as ultimate stability!

Low-impedance EMG USA humbuckers work in concert with this design to provide broader bandwidth and unique, robust tone. Other features include a a gorgeous flame maple top, zero-fret for improved intonation, the new Steinberger Combo headpiece to allow for the use of DoubleBall™ and single ball strings and our patented Direct-Drive double-ball bridge with 40:1 tuners for tuning ease, accuracy and stability that only a Steinberger can provide. With Steinberger, you can change strings in seconds, tune up once and not have to tune again until you change strings again.

Provided with a premium, padded gigbag, the Synapse also makes a great travel instrument measuring only 31.75" in length and capable of fitting into the tightest of places including overhead airplane bins. The result is a guitar of unequalled performance, comfort and flexibility. Steinberger - State of the Instrument.

582299.jpg

1962-Gibson-ES-120T-Original-Sunburst-Thinline-Archtop-Hollowbody-Guitar-wOHSC-252487227156-3.jpg

Gibson ES-120T Thinline Fully Hollow Electric Archtop.

Available: 1962 to 1971

Collectibility Rating: D- (Gibson's most basic and least expensive student model electric thinline archtop. Even cheaper than an ES-125t). The Gibson ES-120t was an inexpensive guitar for Gibson to produce because the pickguard assembly, which holds all the guitar's electronics, can be made off the guitar. It is then "dropped in" to the body as the last assembly step. The front of the guitar is routed like a small swimming pool to accomodate the pickguard and pickups/electronics. This is why the guitar only has one "f" hole. A common problem with this model is the overly thick pickguard can crack, since the output jack is part of the pickguard, adding lots of pressure to the pickguard upon jack insertion/removal.

1962 Gibson ES-120T specs:

16.25" wide, 1 "f" hole, Melody Maker style pickup mounted on the pickguard, knobs and jack also mounted on the pickguard, single bound top and back, dot fingerboard inlays, decal peghead logo, sunburst finish.

1971 Gibson ES-120TD discontinued.

1962-Gibson-ES-120T-Original-Sunburst-Thinline-Archtop-Hollowbody-Guitar-wOHSC-252487227156-5.jpg

01668_tq2.jpg

Archived