Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Hummingbird

Blue Notes

I own two beautiful Gibson acoustics but I'm scared to travel with them and have been looking for a cheap alternative to play when I go away. I've found a second hand Epiphone Hummingbird HS online, wondering if anyone has some feedback on how these guitars are, obviously I'm not expecting too much but I would hope it at least stays in tune and is playable.

The Epi H'BIrd is not bad. Still, a $200 guitar. If I were in need of a "travel/beater" I would get a used Epi Masterbuilt, although twice as much. They are much more enjoyable to play. Now, if you're talking about a campfire, salt-spray, sun-tan lotion, sand in the tuners guitar - yes, a used regular Epi would do just fine.

The Epi H'BIrd is not bad. Still, a $200 guitar. If I were in need of a "travel/beater" I would get a used Epi Masterbuilt, although twice as much. They are much more enjoyable to play. Now, if you're talking about a campfire, salt-spray, sun-tan lotion, sand in the tuners guitar - yes, a used regular Epi would do just fine.

That's always the dilemma I've encountered trying to fill that kind of slot in the arsenal. Fine line between caution and enjoyment. Thing is, if I don't enjoy a guitar, it doesn't get played.

I have an Epi Hummingbird 2005 that I bought used off CL it came with a masterbuilt case, Nice cheery burst with hummingbird on the pick guard, nice stain on the mahogany back and sides. No pickup, Grovers looks great stays in tune and plays well, stays on a stand in my room. I have two Epi's I think they would fit what your looking for

b570d323-e5a2-4fbd-a620-2dec6cc5d2e3_zpse6d3785d.jpg

The Epi bird would be fine for traveling, assuming the guitar's size is not a problem. Keep in mind that it's almost a full-sized dread. I like dreads and wouldn't necessarily be happy with a smaller guitar for my full-time player, but for traveling, some of the smaller body Epi or other brands might be more convenient. Just a thought.......Anyway, whatever you get, travel safely. [thumbup]

Archived