Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jvi

new gison standard models

wondering if its just me thinking the newish regular models, ie j45 and others are slipping in playability and sound, it took me sifting thru 5 to find one i liked last year and even it seems a bit of a brute to play. no slam fest just curious what general feeling is j

I look a lot. I think the newer models are very good with the majority of them needing a good setup. When I look at a new one I scope the neck to the bridge. If it's good I just worry about the sound figuring it can be setup properly. I'm surprised how many need the nut slots worked in and a truss rod adjustment.

My two plek guitars a 2016 J-35 and a 2017 LG-2 did not " need" any adjustments out of the box. both sound great to me and none of my victims have complained. Both got minor tweaks to be just the way I like. My 2014 j45 needed a bit more adjustment to be "perfect". Build quality on all is impeccable.

My two plek guitars a 2016 J-35 and a 2017 LG-2 did not " need" any adjustments out of the box. both sound great to me and none of my victims have complained. Both got minor tweaks to be just the way I like. My 2014 j45 needed a bit more adjustment to be "perfect". Build quality on all is impeccable.

I have a 2014 J-45 also and I'd have to say any tweaks I decided on were owner-specific.Very fine finish and sound AFAIC. I wonder if there's a certain nostalgia associated with older instruments a-la Stradivarius and the like.Not everyone can afford either the money or the time to invest in vintage models.It's been widely suggested on these and other sites that it's important to try more than one of a given year and find the one that speaks to you-sort of like a partner in life.(Not saying you have to be promiscuous but you have to take it for a "test drive" don't you think?)

A new line between the epiphine and a Gibson with quality control issues they're workin on.

They'll call it the Epitome when they get the bugs out.

fwiw a gison is a female bison, but are the new ones any gud?

They're always better once they've had a little experience, at least what the bison bull said😀

wondering if its just me thinking the newish regular models, ie j45 and others are slipping in playability and sound, it took me sifting thru 5 to find one i liked last year and even it seems a bit of a brute to play. no slam fest just curious what general feeling is j

I've noticed that as well, as far as sound goes anyway. I found the difference between the J45s I passed on and the one I took home was pretty big, one might favor the high end whereas others may favor the low and so on. As for action and playability I could be alone on this but I find just about all the acoustics hanging on the rack these days regardless of brand are set up for players that don't spend any time past the fifth fret. The only one I can think of that isn't on the high side is usually Taylor. That said set ups are a personal thing, my medium might be your sky high and so on. But plek or no plek you're not alone in thinking that new Gibsons leave the factory with a higher than needed setup.

Sorry to hijack this thread with non-Gison content but... A guy working in a local guitar shop told me the J45s that have come through have been very consistent sound-wise (in a good way) the past couple of years. Conversely, he said that only about one out of five of the Hummingbirds they get in sound really good. When there last I played a 60s J45 (cherry burst finish and ADJ bridge, but not a Donovan model) that sounded great. That one would have come home with me if I had the $$$. I played a rosewood J45 that sounded like a dud to my ear, but I've never heard another rosewood J45 to compare it to. I played a black Hummingbird that was underwhelming, and another standard Bird that was ok. I saw a J15 hanging on the wall but did not play it for fear of the GAS it would induce.

Totally agree re. high set-ups.Higher up the neck they're usually hard on the fretting hand. I've even had guitar techs tell me that I wanted the action too low but they'd do it if I insisted.I ended up sanding the saddle down myself and a friend of mine came by and said what great action the guitar had. And all without fret buzz.It's what you are used to,I guess.